Linux not free anymore ???

Andrei

Aug 15, 2003, 3:54:47 AM8/15/03
"This new SCO license is a binary, right to use SCO Intellectual
Property in a distribution of Linux. It is applies to commercial uses
of a Linux operating system that contains a 2.4 or later version of
the kernel, and cures the IP infringement issue for binary use only.
Customers who purchase this license are held harmless by SCO for past
infringements, as well as the on-going use of the infringing code.
"

http://www.sco.com/scosource/description.html
here is the complete text.

what is it going to happen?
will we return to the old 2.2 kernel ?
can we hope for a new kernel, excuding the so called SCO inetelectual
property ?
Is this story going to repeat with other unixes too
(the open source os uses source from all over the net and people, who
knows what sick man could ask licensing for BSD )?

Goran Larsson

Aug 15, 2003, 5:02:09 AM8/15/03
In article <3eddb6f7.03081...@posting.google.com>,
Andrei <and...@agersoft.ro> wrote:

> "This new SCO license is a binary, right to use SCO Intellectual
> Property in a distribution of Linux.

IBM hasn't paid a cent. Why should you? SCO is just trying to make as
much noise as possible before it dies.

--
Göran Larsson http://www.mitt-eget.com/

Erik de Castro Lopo

Aug 15, 2003, 6:28:18 AM8/15/03
Andrei wrote:

> what is it going to happen?

SCO is going to drag Linux through the mud, but will eventually
find that it has no case and will go bankrupt leaving a huge
number of very disgruntled shareholders.

> will we return to the old 2.2 kernel ?

Only if you want to.

> can we hope for a new kernel, excuding the so called SCO

> intellectual property ?

In the VERY unlikely case that SCO is actually correct, SCO's
code will be removed and replaced with something better within
a month.

> Is this story going to repeat with other unixes too

Even more unlikely. In fact, the most likely scenario is
that the court will find that a chunk of Linux code is the
same as code in SCOs unix, but that SCO stole the code from
Linux.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo nos...@mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
Microsoft : Yesterday's software running on today's
hardware tomorrow.

Rod Smith

Aug 15, 2003, 10:44:38 AM8/15/03
In article <3F3CB5AC...@mega-nerd.com>,

Erik de Castro Lopo <nos...@mega-nerd.com> writes:

>> Is this story going to repeat with other unixes too
>
> Even more unlikely. In fact, the most likely scenario is
> that the court will find that a chunk of Linux code is the
> same as code in SCOs unix, but that SCO stole the code from
> Linux.

That's basically what happened roughly a decade ago, in a legal tangle
between USL and BSDI. USL (which, through various acquisitions and sales,
is one ancestor of today's SCO) sued BSDI (later adding the University of
California as a defendant), making claims similar to those SCO is making
today about Linux. The ultimate outcome was that infringement was found on
both sides, but far more of it by USL than by BSDI or the University of
California. An out-of-court settlement was reached, many lawyers earned a
lot of money, and nothing positive came of it.

--
Rod Smith, rods...@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com

nick

Aug 15, 2003, 12:58:16 PM8/15/03
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:28:18 +0000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Andrei wrote:
>>
>> what is it going to happen?
>
> SCO is going to drag Linux through the mud, but will eventually
> find that it has no case and will go bankrupt leaving a huge
> number of very disgruntled shareholders.
>
>> will we return to the old 2.2 kernel ?
>
> Only if you want to.
>
>> can we hope for a new kernel, excuding the so called SCO
>> intellectual property ?
>
> In the VERY unlikely case that SCO is actually correct, SCO's
> code will be removed and replaced with something better within
> a month.
>
>> Is this story going to repeat with other unixes too
>
> Even more unlikely. In fact, the most likely scenario is
> that the court will find that a chunk of Linux code is the
> same as code in SCOs unix, but that SCO stole the code from
> Linux.
>
> Erik

more info on SCO's position here:

http://bbspot.com/News/2003/08/sco.html

Robert E A Harvey

Aug 16, 2003, 7:03:01 AM8/16/03
and...@agersoft.ro (Andrei) wrote in message news:<3eddb6f7.03081...@posting.google.com>...

> what is it going to happen?
Well, Lawyers will make a lot of money, and no-one else will
understand what the outcome was.

It won't matter. Gnu and Hurd are well established as untouchable,
and Linux itself is so well established behind the GPL that outside
the USA any action will founder on the fact that no perputrator would
be making any money from the theft, if theft there be (which I very
much doubt). The actions of the distro makers can be seen to be in
good faith, and so clean in most legislatures.

There is also the well-established principle of being unable to put
the genie back in the bottle. The current situation cannot be shown
to be a surprise to SCO, for Linux has been a long time coming and
being Open Source means that SCO or it's predecessors could have taken
action years ago. Since they waited this long, the action must be
malicious rather than real damage and would fail anywhere with a
half-sensible legal system.

If something bizzare happens in the USA, so what? Linux is
international property - I suggest that more work has been done
outside than inside the USA, and that things like Red Flag will
accelarate that trend.

> (the open source os uses source from all over the net and people, who
> knows what sick man could ask licensing for BSD )?

Not if you read the original Regent's licence. You cannot undisclose
what you have chosen to disclose.

Karsten M. Self

Aug 23, 2003, 1:02:08 AM8/23/03

Bollux.

See: http://sco.iwethey.org/ for some truth to counter Caldera/SCO's lies
and FUD.

--
Karsten M. Self <kms...@ix.netcom.com> http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
LNX-BBC: Bootable GNU/Linux -- Don't leave /home without it.