The Google Drive to Linux bridge is here !! All I need is a little token to cross.

Ramon F Herrera

Apr 3, 2015, 5:23:04 PM4/3/15

Folks,

We Linux users do no have to wait forever. CyberDuck (*duck* for us
Linus fanbois on a first name basis) is here:

https://cyberduck.io/

See the help in the attachment below.

Google Cloud Storage
gs://<container>/<key>

I presume that "Google Cloud Storage" applies to the commercial and the
freebie Google Drive?

The only question is this:

Exactly what should I type? I have a free, plain vanilla Google Drive
account. How do I determine its [container] and [key]?

TIA,

-Ramon

DuckHelp.txt

Ramon F Herrera

Apr 3, 2015, 6:14:09 PM4/3/15

I would like to share what I have.

(a) A freebie Google Drive account. Don't have the slightest idea how to
access it yet. See here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29438616/how-to-access-google-drive-from-cli-cyberduck

(b) I got a Google developer account, free for 30 days, must provide
credit card number. I have made more progress on that front:

After you download and install the Google Storage Utility ("gsutil" for
Linux, just Python stuff, nothing native):

% gsutil config //(at this point you *must* have the BILLING option done).

Then you create and see your own "buckets" with the "mb" option.

% gsutil mb gs://dogs // Fails, somebody already created that one
% gsutil mb gs://usa // Fails
% gsutil mb gs://venezuela // succeeds, as usual I am the first from
that God forsaken country
% gsutil mb gs://ramon // Succeeds - My namesakes are eating my dust

% gsutil -l // displays only your buckets

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

Apr 3, 2015, 6:45:29 PM4/3/15

I found more info with this command:

% gsutil ls -L gs://

-RFH

Ramon F Herrera

Apr 3, 2015, 7:04:35 PM4/3/15

Well, well, well... The darn thing has a Un*x look & feel:

% gsutil cp grive-0.3.0-1.el6.xz.x86_64.rpm gs://ramon

Copying plain files back & forth is a breeze. I don't even need grive or
duck !!

HOWEVER, at this point I am using my *paid* (free for 30 days) account,
and what I really need to access is my free Google Drive files.

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

Apr 4, 2015, 1:04:11 PM4/4/15

That was too good to be true. In fact, CyberDuck *used* to support
Google Drive but in all their magnificent wisdom, they decided to drop
it. Their excuse is "spring cleaning" and are asking we users to beg
(demand, request, woo, entice, same thing) for them to bring it back.

They only support Google Cloud Storage, which is a funny decision:

- Both gsutil and *duck* support Google Cloud Storage (and then again,
paid GCS)

- None of them support Google Drive.

So they are after the same tiny market, while abandoning the huge one.

-Ramon

ps: https://trac.cyberduck.io/ticket/6976

Slimer

Apr 4, 2015, 2:05:47 PM4/4/15
On 2015-04-04 1:04 PM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> That was too good to be true. In fact, CyberDuck *used* to support
> Google Drive but in all their magnificent wisdom, they decided to drop
> it. Their excuse is "spring cleaning" and are asking we users to beg
> (demand, request, woo, entice, same thing) for them to bring it back.
>
> They only support Google Cloud Storage, which is a funny decision:
>
> - Both gsutil and *duck* support Google Cloud Storage (and then again,
> paid GCS)
>
> - None of them support Google Drive.
>
> So they are after the same tiny market, while abandoning the huge one.
>
> -Ramon
>

> ps: https://trac.cyberduck.io/ticket/6976

Since you're from Venezuela, you have no interest in supporting the
American machine. Therefore, using Google is a bad idea anyway. You
should set up ownCloud and run your own server.

--
Slimer
OpenMedia, GreenPeace Supporter & SPCA Paw Partner

Ramon F Herrera

Apr 5, 2015, 1:05:09 PM4/5/15
On 4/4/2015 1:05 PM, Slimer wrote:
> Since you're from Venezuela, you have no interest in supporting the
> American machine.

You are making a very common mistake, esteemed Slimer. You are confusing
me with my cousin, Bernardo Alvarez Herrera, who works in Washington, DC.

For reasons that should be obvious (see his picture below), Bernardo is
not exactly the most welcome relative at the Herrera family gatherings.

http://patriot.net/~ramon/misc/Bernardo.jpg

Notice my forum signature, and check out what I and the Venezuelan
opposition distributed widely when the cancer of El Bastardo was known,
and specially during the national celebration after his death:

http://patriot.net/~ramon/misc/USAFCIS.jpg

-Ramon

Proud Member of the US Chamber of Commerce (regular and Hispanic)
So quit calling me commie, will ya'?
Entrepreneur, Small Business Owner
100% Supporter of the position on immigration being
lobbied and led by The US Chamber of Commerce

Developer of Systems with Linux on the server side and Windows/Mac on
the client side, the way I was taught at MIT.