AAAAAAHHHHH...I hate Linux...okay okay..."Can't open /dev/console???"

yien sprout hall zheng

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
Here the deal. I can no longer access the VGA/SVGA capabilities
in Linux. I have a Trident 9440AGI card using the 3.1.2D video drivers.
But I don't think that's the problem. Breakdown:
For X, I hit "startx" and the SVGA server freezes at the "generic"
listing of the supported cards. I can break out of this freeze with
a ^C and I get this error message:

xinit: Interrupted system call (errno 4): unexpected signal 2

waiting for X server to shut down
Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/console (Interrupted system call)

.

With doom, it freezes after:

svgalib: Configuration file /usr/local/lib/libvga.config not found
svgalib: Assuming Microsoft mouse
svgalib: Assuming low end SVGA/8514 monitor (35.4 KHz)

When I ^C out of it, it give no further error messages.

With Abuse, it freezes after:

engine : registering base graphics
getting light tables

If I'm logged in as root and I ^C out of it, it tells me

"svgalib: Cannot open /dev/console"

If I'm logged in as a regular user, it just give me the error

"svgalib: Cannot open /dev/console"

without waiting for me to ^C out of it. (This is the only one that does
that. All the other programs freeze.)

And finally, with sasteroids, it freezes at:

Generating rotated bitmaps
Compiling bitmaps

No further information/errors are given after I ^C out if it.

This is the second time that this has occured to me! The first time I could
only get around it my reformating my hardrive and reinstalling everything.
I tried reinstalling individual packages first...base then X then svga libs
to no avail...and I finally just reinstalled everything. That was a painful
experience, and I don't want to do it again...

Has anyone else had problems like this? What's the remedy for this?
Some addition info that may be of importance. My /dev/console has
the following:

# ls -l /dev/console
crw--w--w- 2 root tty 4, 194 Mar 14 07:02 /dev/console.

I tried messing with the permission...chmod 777 /dev/console...etc.
Didn't help. Help!

Yien Zheng
yi...@uclink.berkeley.edu

Gary Ward

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
to yien sprout hall zheng
yien sprout hall zheng wrote:

> Here the deal. I can no longer access the VGA/SVGA capabilities
> in Linux. I have a Trident 9440AGI card using the 3.1.2D video drivers.
> But I don't think that's the problem. Breakdown:
> For X, I hit "startx" and the SVGA server freezes at the "generic"
> listing of the supported cards. I can break out of this freeze with
> a ^C and I get this error message:

> xinit: Interrupted system call (errno 4): unexpected signal 2
>
> waiting for X server to shut down
> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/console (Interrupted system call)

[snip]

> Has anyone else had problems like this? What's the remedy for this?
> Some addition info that may be of importance. My /dev/console has
> the following:
>
> # ls -l /dev/console
> crw--w--w- 2 root tty 4, 194 Mar 14 07:02 /dev/console.
>
> I tried messing with the permission...chmod 777 /dev/console...etc.
> Didn't help. Help!
>
> Yien Zheng
> yi...@uclink.berkeley.edu

I have seen this once before, and it was due to file system corruption
that occured by shutting off the machine before it had shut down. The
device node for your /dev/console is screwed up. You show it above
as major=4, minor=194. It should be major=4, minor=0. You need to log
in as root, remove /dev/console and remake it via mknod. See the man
page for mknod, I believe the proper syntax is "mknod console c 4 0"

You will find that this problem hides most of your boot messages as well.
Anyhow, hard to find, easy to fix.

Good Luck!
| | To see a world in a grain of sand, |
| Gary Ward | And a heaven in a wild flower, |
| ga...@netcom.com | Hold infinity in the palm of your hand |
| | And eternity in an hour. |
| | -- William Blake |

Nick Kralevich

Mar 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/17/96
In article <4i9lmn$b...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
yien sprout hall zheng <yi...@sioux.CS.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>"svgalib: Cannot open /dev/console"

>Has anyone else had problems like this? What's the remedy for this?
>Some addition info that may be of importance. My /dev/console has
>the following:
>
># ls -l /dev/console
>crw--w--w- 2 root tty 4, 194 Mar 14 07:02 /dev/console.

That looks wrong to me. My /dev/console says the following:

caa32:~/linux/linux> ls -la /dev/console
crw--w--w- 2 root root 4, 0 Feb 24 16:10 /dev/console

Note that the minor number is "0" instead of "194". I think that
could be your problem. After all, the programs that you are using
are complaining about not being able to open /dev/console.

The /dev/console entry is the same on both my redhat and slackware
systems, so I would say that your minor number for /dev/console is
incorrect.

To fix it, try the following: "mknod /dev/console c 4 0"
(note, I haven't actually tested this, but it should work).

(cc'd to author)

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich
nick...@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu

Tres Hofmeister

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
In article <4ih33i$l...@agate.berkeley.edu>
nick...@america.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Nick Kralevich) writes:
: In article <4i9lmn$b...@agate.berkeley.edu>,

: >

:
: That looks wrong to me. My /dev/console says the following:
:
: caa32:~/linux/linux> ls -la /dev/console
: crw--w--w- 2 root root 4, 0 Feb 24 16:10 /dev/console
:
: To fix it, try the following: "mknod /dev/console c 4 0"

: (note, I haven't actually tested this, but it should work).

Having had the same problem three times (I thought my system was
hanging during boot, but it was actually that /dev/console had been
munged), I decided to find out what was going on. It turned out in the
end that it was the SysVinit 2.57b package used in Slackware 3.0 that
was causing the problem. From the SysVinit documentation:

Most people have an entry in inittab to run shutdown when
CTRL-ALT-DEL is pressed; a feature has been added to shutdown to
check if a authorized user is logged in on one of the consoles to
see if a shutdown is allowed. This can be configured with an access
file.

One interesting new feature in this init package is that it actually
supports a serial line as the "console" - if you enter single user
mode from a serial terminal (by "init S" or "shutdown now") that
terminal will become the logical system console if it's listed in
/etc/securetty. This means that /dev/console gets linked to the tty
line of the terminal. A new device gets created, /dev/systty that
is the physical console - aka /dev/tty0. Note that this of course
does not happen on an "ordinary" reboot.

Unfortunately, SysVinit's idea of an "ordinary" reboot doesn't
include what I'd call an ordinary shutdown [shutdown -h now]. Since
when is shutdown an unusual way to reboot or halt a Unix system? If you
run shutdown in an xterm, its pty becomes the system console, and that's
that. At least it seems to me that this is what's going on. If you use
telinit or init to change run-levels, you might end up with the same
problem. You won't see it if you use the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence to
reboot, it seems.

My thanks to William E. Roadcap <road...@cfw.com> for pointing
this feature of the SysVinit package out to me.

--
Tres Hofmeister Research Applications Program
tr...@ncar.ucar.edu National Center for Atmospheric Research

Steve Breland

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96
yi...@sioux.CS.Berkeley.EDU (yien sprout hall zheng) wrote:

> Here the deal. I can no longer access the VGA/SVGA capabilities
>in Linux. I have a Trident 9440AGI card using the 3.1.2D video drivers.
>But I don't think that's the problem. Breakdown:
>For X, I hit "startx" and the SVGA server freezes at the "generic"
>listing of the supported cards.

You have corrupted your /dev/console device. It is now pointing to
the wrong kernel entry points. Use mknod to create a new one. The
major number is 4, the minor is 0. I did the same thing last week
while setting up ppp. Took me an hour to realize the error message
"Can't write to console" means exactly what it says.

-Steve
email: Steve....@rmh.edu

vra...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2013, 6:52:44 AM8/30/13
LOL, i just (2013) found this post from the dawn of the Internet :D
are you still alive?

harry main

Feb 5, 2024, 7:32:11 AMFeb 5
We got good and quality psychedelic products available and we also handle very fast and reliable discreet shipping and delivery worldwide both legal and illegal countries delivery at your doorsteps
We got lsd, dmt, carts, cake carts, shrooms of all strains, chocolate bars coke, weeds, Xanax, ecstasy, packwoods, wax, etc contact us on telegram
Click on these link for more reviews
👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

https://t.me/Exoctic_only

https://t.me/Exoctic_only