Netscape spontaneously changes font to Chinese or Somesuch

Jeff Templon

Mar 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/21/96

Netscape 1.1N, a.out Slackware Linux. I have a user which has the
following problem (he installed Linux himself; I don't know
what is wrong, and it doesn't happen on my machine ...)

When he uses netscape, it almost invariably at some point (not
from the getgo, but after selecting a few web pages) changes
the main text font from times-roman to something that looks
chinese, or arabic, or perhaps klingon. he thinks it happens
most often when he selects SSC's Linux Home Page. It also
appears to commandeer some of the fonts for icons on the desktop
(fvwm icons) making them unreadable as well. Does anyone know
what could be causing this?? He does not have the problem if
he doesn't ever run netscape.

JT

Brian Park

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
Check language encoding under options menu. Make sure it is set to
western. When is is set to some other languages, Netscape,
sometimes, display foreign characters on plain english page.
Well, at least, that's what happens to me.
Hope this helps.
--
Brian Park (bri...@cs.ucla.edu)
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/csd-grads-gs4/briansp/www

Arthur N. Borg

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
Brian Park wrote:

> Jeff Templon wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Netscape 1.1N, a.out Slackware Linux. I have a user which has the
> > following problem (he installed Linux himself; I don't know
> > what is wrong, and it doesn't happen on my machine ...)
> >
> > When he uses netscape, it almost invariably at some point (not
> > from the getgo, but after selecting a few web pages) changes
> > the main text font from times-roman to something that looks
> > chinese, or arabic, or perhaps klingon. he thinks it happens
> > most often when he selects SSC's Linux Home Page. It also
> > appears to commandeer some of the fonts for icons on the desktop
> > (fvwm icons) making them unreadable as well. Does anyone know
> > what could be causing this?? He does not have the problem if
> > he doesn't ever run netscape.Chinese and other oriental languages use "double byte" characters. These
characters represent combinations which do not occur in English but may
occur in languages with various punctuation marks.
I use Chinese Windows 3.1 and Netscape 2.0. Occasionally I have a
spurious Chinese character. However, sometimes a Chinese person will
give his name in Chinese which is perfectly readable. Note that the
Chinese coding used in Mainland China (PRC) is different from that used
in Taiwan (ROC) and Japanese and Korean are again different. To the best
of my knowledge, Netscape does not itself have anything except English
although it is said to be coming out in Japanese and French. I would
suspect that it is the underlying text handling mechanism that is
producing the foreign characters.

Best regards,

Art Borg

Jeff Templon

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
No,

Thanks but this is a real problem. The chineseish text (which we've
since learned is not chinese) appears to be from some problem with
the ATI Mach64 X windows server. Anybody with a solution,
please respond.

JT