Fedora 27 Thumbnails

J.B. Wood

Oct 29, 2018, 2:11:59 PM10/29/18
Hello, all, and I'm still trying to get thumbnailing operational. As I
previously posted, I've got the following relevant (I think) i686 apps
running: Nautilus 3.26.3.1-1, Gnome Desktop3-3.26.2.1 and
gdk-pixbuf2-2.36.11-1. I previously thought the failure of
Nautilus/gdk-pixbuf to create thumbnails was due to sandboxing but the
real culprit appears to be a filename translation error caused when
Nautilus calls gdk-pixbuf to create the thumbnail. In this scenario all
thumbnail filenames which should otherwise be working are stored in
~/.cache/thumbnails/fail/gnome-thumbnail-factory. These files are not
the thumbnails, just a link to the file that would've been thumbnailed.
Merely clearing this directory (the traditional fixall) doesn't work and
the failed thumbnail names are subsequently recreated.

gdk-pixbuf has no trouble creating a thumbnail when it's run manually.
I've seen posts online about thumbnail failures but they were with
earlier Fedora/Nautilus versions. (Just to be clear the files "search
and preview" preferences are set to display thumbnails with the maximum
4096 MB file size.) Thanks for your comment and any workarounds of
which you may have knowledge. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_1...@hotmail.com