Sony CDU55E CD-ROM drive: who has experience?

1 view

cazemier r.j.

Sep 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/7/95
Is there anybody has has experience with the

Sony CDU55E CD-ROM drive

in Linux? How can I make it accessible?

Rudi Cazemier; e-mail: caz...@nlr.nl

Tom Chow

Sep 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/8/95
After you install your Linux from your Sony CDROM (the installation boot
disk knows your CDROM automatically), you can boot up your linux from the
harddisk and rebuild a kernel that can reconize your IDE type CDROM.

Follow the Kernel-HOWTO will get you there.
Good luck
Tom Chow

M. Arifi Koseoglu

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95

In article <42plpf$v...@govonca3.gov.on.ca> Tom Chow <cho...@epo.gov.on.ca> writes:
> After you install your Linux from your Sony CDROM (the installation boot
> disk knows your CDROM automatically), you can boot up your linux from the
> harddisk and rebuild a kernel that can reconize your IDE type CDROM.

Actually, I do not think you will need to *rebuild* the kernel, if
you have access to the Slackware distribution. One of the supplied
kernels has support for this drive.

Arifi
--
Arifi K\"{o}seo\u{g}lu
ar...@dmi.stevens-tech.edu

Andrew V. Korovin

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
Once day cazemier r.j. (caz...@nlr.nl) wrote in comp.os.linux.setup:
: Is there anybody has has experience with the

: Sony CDU55E CD-ROM drive

: in Linux? How can I make it accessible?

I have Slackware Linux 1.3.0 and have not any problems with my
Sony CDU55E as /dev/hdb. Previsiously I have Linux 1.1.50 and
have /dev/cdrom as block device 26 0.

: Rudi Cazemier; e-mail: caz...@nlr.nl

--
Andrew V. Korovin and...@aleks.vladimir.su
Phone: (09244) 242-34 /Fax: (09244) 236-39

Andre Taube

Sep 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/16/95
I am probably late with an advice, here is how I fixed the problem.
when you configure lilo, pass 'hdc=cdrom' parameter to kernel,
(it is one of the options on setup screen). After you have to
mount /dev/hdc.

Hope it helps.

Andre