Parallel Port 100MB ZIP drive

Shoaiby

Sep 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/15/99
I have two problems:

Problem #1:
I have Linux 2.2.10 (SuSE 6.3) installed on my system and I'm trying to
automate mounting of my parallel port zip drive at boot time. After
sifting through several newsgroup articles, I read that the best place
to load the driver for the zip drive was in /etc/rc.d/boot.local. I
placed 'modprobe ppa' in /etc/rc.d/boot.local. To mount the drive, I
placed an appropriate entry in /etc/fstab. When the system boots,
however, the /etc/fstab gets read in BEFORE /etc/rc.d/boot.local is
executed. The mount fails since the driver hasn't been loaded yet. Is
there a way I can get around this problem ?

Problem #2:
On the command line, doing a 'modprobe ppa' and then doing a mount
works SOMETIMES. Other times, I get a mount error saying that /dev/sda4
could not be mounted. So I decided to recompile the kernel with 'IOMEGA
ZIP DRIVE' support. I do a 'make xconfig' and under the SCSI low-level
menu, I want to select the 'IOMEGA ZIP DRIVE' but it's grayed out !!!
What does that mean ? How do I get around this ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Jerry Lapham

Sep 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/16/99
In <7rp5ft$4ov$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, on 09/15/99
at 10:10 PM, Shoaiby <sh...@ibm.net> said:

> I have Linux 2.2.10 (SuSE 6.3) installed on my system and I'm trying to
> automate mounting of my parallel port zip drive at boot time. After
> sifting through several newsgroup articles, I read that the best place
> to load the driver for the zip drive was in /etc/rc.d/boot.local. I
> placed 'modprobe ppa' in /etc/rc.d/boot.local. To mount the drive, I
> placed an appropriate entry in /etc/fstab. When the system boots,
> however, the /etc/fstab gets read in BEFORE /etc/rc.d/boot.local is
> executed. The mount fails since the driver hasn't been loaded yet. Is
> there a way I can get around this problem ?

I have "noauto" in my fstab line for the Zip drive, so it doesn't try to
mount. I mount it when I need it, which just takes a mouse click with
KDE.

-Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: rjla...@infinet.com
Written Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 09:32 PM (EDT)
MR/2 Ice tag: "If guns cause crime, then logic follows without question that; cameras cause pornography, matches cause arson, automobiles cause accidents, bathing suits cause drowning, computers cause email, baseball bats cause home runs, blenders cause margaritas, elections cause corruption and, of course, grandmothers cause adultery."