Animated screen capture - is it available?

FEEB

Apr 7, 2005, 8:52:44 AM4/7/05

I am looking for a software that would allow me to capture an animated
output of a calculation into a movie file.

I have a proprietary software that creates an animated picture of 3D
calculation results. I would like to capture this output to an MPEG or
AVI file so that I can show the output without the necessary calculations
that may take quite a long time to perform.

What I am looking for is a program capable of recording what is going on
in a specific area of the screen for say, 5-10 seconds.
OS: Fedora2

Is there anything like that out there?

TYIA

<fe...@chem.utoronto.ca>

Dances With Crows

Apr 7, 2005, 9:45:57 AM4/7/05

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:52:44 -0400 (EDT), FEEB staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
> I am looking for a software

Why do folks who aren't Americans say "a software" instead of "a
program"? Just curious.

> that would allow me to capture an animated output of a calculation
> into a movie file. I have a proprietary software that creates an
> animated picture of 3D calculation results. I would like to capture

> this output to an MPEG or AVI file.

> What I am looking for is a program capable of recording what is going
> on in a specific area of the screen for say, 5-10 seconds.

vnc2swf, possibly, http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/ . Or
http://xmsgtrace.sourceforge.net/ -- though that records the X protocol
stream, not a series of images that can be encoded into an MPEG. I'd
think you could do this directly using the XRECORD extension, but you
may not want to write code that does that.

http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

Meke

Apr 7, 2005, 4:01:52 PM4/7/05
FEEB wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a software that would allow me to capture an animated
> output of a calculation into a movie file.

<snip>

I have been thinking about something to do this and your post spurred me on
to go for a google.

I found xvidcap at http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/

I downloaded the latest stable and compiled with the embedded ffmpeg and
gave it a quick go - looks good.
From the downloadable demos, there is sound support as well.

It's worth taking a look

Cheers

zen...@highstream.net

Apr 8, 2005, 10:14:35 AM4/8/05
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:52:44 -0400 (EDT), "FEEB" <fe...@chem.utoronto.ca>
wrote:

Put this in a shell script

#!/bin/sh
xvidcap --file /home/feeb/`date +%d%b%y%H%M%S`.mpg

I can capture half of my 19 inch monitor, and cpu use is only 30%

You have to get used to xvidcap's interface, but a few test runs
should get you going.

http://zentara.net/japh.html