reboot hang with "GRUB"

qm8...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2005, 6:48:52 PM4/4/05
I tried to reboot my email server and it hangs with "GRUB" displayed on
console.
Had to boot from CD and go to "linux rescue" then chroot
/mnt/sysimages. Everything works this way. It is a dell Poweredge 2600
running RHEL AS3(kernel 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp). Did regular 'up2date -u'
couple days ago (no kernel updates). Any idea why it hangs? I need to
fix this quickly so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Here is my "grub.conf":

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
file
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda2
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp.img
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-27.0.2.EL)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL.img
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-27.0.1.ELsmp)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-27.0.1.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.21-27.0.1.ELsmp.img
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-27.0.1.EL)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL.img

Nicholas Andrade

Apr 4, 2005, 10:45:12 PM4/4/05
qm8...@gmail.com wrote:

What do you mean by "hanging at grub"? Do you reach the point where you
may choose what to boot, or does it freeze prior? If you can't even get
to the kernel selection screen, you may want to consider booting with a
rescue cd, mounting the drive, chrooting, and type the command grub.
This will take you to the grub prompt, from there enter: root (hd0,0) --
presuming the drive is the primary master, next setup (hd0). Check this
site for more info (http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html).

Lenard

Apr 4, 2005, 11:23:32 PM4/4/05
qm8...@gmail.com wrote:

> I tried to reboot my email server and it hangs with "GRUB" displayed
> on console.
> Had to boot from CD and go to "linux rescue" then chroot
> /mnt/sysimages. Everything works this way. It is a dell Poweredge 2600
> running RHEL AS3(kernel 2.4.21-27.0.2.ELsmp). Did regular 'up2date -u'
> couple days ago (no kernel updates). Any idea why it hangs? I need to
> fix this quickly so any help will be greatly appreciated.
> Here is my "grub.conf":
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
> # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> # root (hd0,0)
> # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda2
> # initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/sda

Sounds like you need to re-install grub, boot using the installation CD
in rescue mode. Answer a few questions and read the on screen messages,
the last few will tell you about using chroot and mounting your
partitions as you have done so earlier. When ready re-install grub;

/sbin/grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

See 'man grub-install' sans the quotes for the details and additional
options.