IWconfig: Wireless WMP54G- encryption key segmentation error

Ed

Apr 4, 2005, 3:49:39 PM4/4/05
I'm in the process of installing my wireless Linksys WMP54G card on Fedora
FC-3
When I reach the point to enter the encryption key I get segmentation error

[root@localhost eddy]# /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key [1] restricted
281E-76E4-93E4-A608-D1A2-CB95-A5
Segmentation Error

If I leave out the dashes the terminal freezes.

Is there anybody who can give me some hints?

Tanks.

Eddy

Nicholas Andrade

Apr 5, 2005, 3:28:09 AM4/5/05
For 64 bit hex keys, you can enter them with colons seperating every two
digits, eg. ab:cd:12:34:56, you may want to give that a shot. Also, I'm
not sure if it's required, but is the module ieee80211_crypt_wep loaded
(I know the Intel centrino cards use it)?

Ed

Apr 5, 2005, 3:25:56 PM4/5/05

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdni...@nospam.yahoo.com> schreef in bericht

> Ed wrote:
>> I'm in the process of installing my wireless Linksys WMP54G card on
>> Fedora FC-3
>> When I reach the point to enter the encryption key I get segmentation
>> error
>>
>> [root@localhost eddy]# /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key [1] restricted
>> 281E-76E4-93E4-A608-D1A2-CB95-A5
>> Segmentation Error

> For 64 bit hex keys, you can enter them with colons seperating every two

> digits, eg. ab:cd:12:34:56, you may want to give that a shot. Also, I'm
> not sure if it's required, but is the module ieee80211_crypt_wep loaded (I
> know the Intel centrino cards use it)?

How do I lookup if this moduel is loaded?

BTW I thing the card uses 128 bit encryption

I already tried your suggestions on the use of colons but it makes no
difference.

I also tried just a ten digit code e.g. 0123456789 but laso then I get
Segmentation error.

After this error is generated I can not issue any command in terminal an
have to reboot the system.

Your help is very much appreciated

Eddy

Nicholas Andrade

Apr 5, 2005, 11:13:13 PM4/5/05
Ed wrote:
> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdni...@nospam.yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
>
>>Ed wrote:
>>
>>>I'm in the process of installing my wireless Linksys WMP54G card on
>>>Fedora FC-3
>>>When I reach the point to enter the encryption key I get segmentation
>>>error
>>>
>>>[root@localhost eddy]# /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key [1] restricted
>>>281E-76E4-93E4-A608-D1A2-CB95-A5
>>>Segmentation Error
>

>>For 64 bit hex keys, you can enter them with colons seperating every two
>>digits, eg. ab:cd:12:34:56, you may want to give that a shot. Also, I'm
>>not sure if it's required, but is the module ieee80211_crypt_wep loaded (I
>>know the Intel centrino cards use it)?
>

> How do I lookup if this moduel is loaded?

lsmod (pipe it to grep if there's too many modules loaded).

> BTW I thing the card uses 128 bit encryption
>
> I already tried your suggestions on the use of colons but it makes no
> difference.
>
> I also tried just a ten digit code e.g. 0123456789 but laso then I get
> Segmentation error.
>
> After this error is generated I can not issue any command in terminal an
> have to reboot the system.

the next thing I'd try is to reinstall iwconfig. To find out what rpm
it's from, type: rpm -qf /sbin/iwconfig. Now go to fedora.redhat.com,
select a mirror, and download that specifc rpm. Now force install it
(rpm -Uvh --force name.of.rpm). If that still doesn't work, we can try
rebuilding the RPM from the SRPM and reinstall it.