Floppy boot disk with Redhat Advanced Server 3.2 ???

linuxq...@yahoo.com

Apr 11, 2005, 7:27:00 PM4/11/05
Dear experts,

In previous versions of Linux, I was able to create a
floppy boot disk. But, when installing Redhat 3.2 Advanced
Server, I was not prompted to create a boot disk.

Is it possible to create one with this version of Redhat?

I tried to use: mkbootdisk but it ran out of space.

cd /lib/modules

ls gives:

2.4.21-15.EL

mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.4.21-15.EL

Insert a disk in /dev/fd0. Any information on the disk will be lost.
Press <Enter> to continue or ^C to abort:
cp: writing `/tmp/mkbootdisk.is4a3q/initrd.img': No space left on
device
cat: write error: No space left on device
cat: write error: No space left on device
20+0 records in
20+0 records out

ls -la /mnt/floppy

total 1435
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 512 Dec 31 1969 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Apr 11 15:33 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root Untitled 1root 0 Apr 11 18:49
boot.msg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 214528 Apr 11 18:49 initrd.img
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 7856 Apr 11 18:49 ldlinux.sys
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Apr 11 18:49 syslinux.cfg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1241318 Apr 22 2004 vmlinuz

- all space used up on the floppy.

Is it possible to create a boot disk for AS 3.2?
Did I just get the syntax wrong?

If not possible, what do use for emergency booting?

Thanks

Bill Marcum

Apr 11, 2005, 9:03:18 PM4/11/05
On 11 Apr 2005 16:27:00 -0700, linuxq...@yahoo.com
<linuxq...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear experts,
>
> In previous versions of Linux, I was able to create a
> floppy boot disk. But, when installing Redhat 3.2 Advanced
> Server, I was not prompted to create a boot disk.
>
> Is it possible to create one with this version of Redhat?

Linux kernels have become too large to fit on a floppy disk, and many
new PCs are sold without floppy drives. The CDROM that you use to
install can also be used as a rescue disk.

--
"I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realized that I
need it. If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file

Sandgroper

Apr 11, 2005, 10:36:43 PM4/11/05

<linuxq...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Dear experts,
>
> In previous versions of Linux, I was able to create a
> floppy boot disk. But, when installing Redhat 3.2 Advanced
> Server, I was not prompted to create a boot disk.
>
> Is it possible to create one with this version of Redhat?
>
> I tried to use: mkbootdisk but it ran out of space.

If you have a separate partition for your /boot partition , then you can
create a boot disk by burning a copy of all the /boot directory entries
onto a CD.

It may still work if you don't have a separate partition for /boot
partition , I have never tried it.

I have created a boot CD this way for my duel boot system running FC3 /
Win98 and it works great , I use one of those mini CDs that has 185Mb on it.

The total size of the boot disk for my FC3 machine is something like 14 Mb.

--
Sandgroper
----------------------------------

prg

Apr 11, 2005, 11:54:39 PM4/11/05

Howto from RH docs:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/s1-steps-install-cdrom.html#S2-STEPS-MAKE-DISKS

And you might try here for a bootdisk.img if you don't have one handy;)
ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/centos/3.3/os/i386/images

Could not locate a 3.2 version anywhere ;(

Frankly, a rescue CD is likely more useful if you don't have a specific
need for a boot cd or floppy -- sometimes used for security.

hth,
prg

Michael Heiming

Apr 12, 2005, 1:56:36 AM4/12/05
In alt.os.linux linuxq...@yahoo.com:
> Dear experts,

> In previous versions of Linux, I was able to create a
> floppy boot disk. But, when installing Redhat 3.2 Advanced
> Server, I was not prompted to create a boot disk.

Never heard about RH AS 3.2, typo? There's RHEL 2.1/3.0/4.0.

> Is it possible to create one with this version of Redhat?

Never tried, just stick in the first installation CD, enter
"linux rescue" at the prompt and read/follow the messages
carefully.

[..]

mail: echo zvp...@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 125: we just switched to Sprint.

Timothy Murphy

Apr 12, 2005, 3:35:27 AM4/12/05
linuxq...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I tried to use: mkbootdisk but it ran out of space.

> mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.4.21-15.EL

Note that there is an option to make a boot CD with "mkbootdisk --iso ...".

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366