How to quit the x windows and return to the shell?

eherage

Mar 27, 2005, 7:29:17 AM3/27/05
My linux starts with the GUI login.But I want to use the shell.So how
can I quit the x windows and return to the shell?

Baho Utot

Mar 27, 2005, 7:47:21 AM3/27/05
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 04:29:17 -0800, eherage wrote:

> My linux starts with the GUI login.But I want to use the shell.So how
> can I quit the x windows and return to the shell?

Cntrl-Alt-Fx
where Fx is function key F1 to F6
Alt-F7 gets you back to GUI

If you want to boot to text mode change your /etc/inittab from
id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:

It will now boot to text mode

--