mouse instability

1 view

Rich Coco

Mar 5, 2005, 7:58:27 PM3/5/05
I am running Fedora core-3. it shares a belkin mouse/keyboard/moinitor switch
box with 2 other PCs (windows-xp and xandros). when i switch from fedora to,
say, the xp pc and then eventually come back to fedora, my mouse is unusable.
it's not that there is no response, it's that the slightest movement creates a
beehive of insane program selection activity (as if i were superman with the
mouse:moving/clicking with astonishing spees).

i seem to recall having this problem years ago with RH 8 or 9 and fixed it by
twiddling something in XF86Config or some such. not only can i not remember what
i did to resolve it then, but i cannot even find XF86Config on fedora.

i recently upgraded to fedora (from rh-9) on 'general principles'...i clearly
did not do my homework wrt understanding the differences. my laziness aside, i
cannot seem to find any info on this problem. i managed to figure it out in the
past but have failed in doing so this time around. i gotta believe i'm not alone
with this issue.

any advice?

Tx,

- rich

--
rich...@verizon.net

Rich Coco

Mar 5, 2005, 8:00:51 PM3/5/05

Rich Coco

Mar 5, 2005, 8:02:42 PM3/5/05

E. Charters

Mar 6, 2005, 3:08:30 PM3/6/05
A common problem. A frozen mouse can be cured by starting another
terminal in linux. Alt-ctrl-Fx and going back to X. The mouse
will not unfreeze. This is documented on the net google wise
and there may be fixes.

Manufacturers say there is a software fix too. Dunno.

EC<:-}

E. Charters

Mar 7, 2005, 2:34:26 AM3/7/05
I see a typo in my reply. Of course when coming back to from a
terminal selection, the mouse unfreezes, or resumes normal behaviour.
Of course it is a kludge. but it is reputed to work and works on
my machines. It is because the Ps/2 mouse is not hot pluggable
like the old serial mice. It just may be that by going to a serial
mouse you could cure the problem, but I have not experimented with
that.

There is stuff on some KVM websites, perhaps Belkin about linux to
windows mouse behaviour, and also on other news groups. A google search
on the problem will elucidate solutions. I know some manufacturers claim
to have software solutions, but at least one that claims compatibility
and seamless change over in fact does not work. The units that are
claimed to work are in the multi hundred shekel range of credit units.

EC<:-}