Timesys 2.4.21 Realtime Kernel and XFree86 4.3.0

1 view

shirees...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2005, 12:17:42 AM3/2/05

I have Timesys 2.4.21 realtime kernel mounted using nfs on a Ampro
Littleboard 700 SBC (Single Board Computer)
(http://www.ampro.com/assets/applets/LittleBoard_700_Datasheet.pdf).
This SBC has Integrated S3 Graphics ProSavage PN133 controller with AGP
4X. The graphics chip is VIA8606.

I want to run X for some graphics application. I tried to install
XFree86 versions 4.2.x, 4.3.0 and 4.4.0, but all in vain. I was
however, successful in installing XFree86-4.0.3 with glibc-2.1 for this
realtime kernel. The problem is I am not able to start X. So I searched
the internet for this graphics card and I came across this site from S3
Graphics site which provides linux drivers.
(http://ranger.s3graphics.com/viaarena/380drv). After manually changing
the XFree86Config file, I'm still not able to startx.

Can anyone please try to help me on the following?
1) Any previous experience of using XFree86 on Timesys 2.4.21 kernel on
any mcahine?
2) Any dependencies that I might be overlooking because of which I'm
not able to startx?
3) Any driver for this S3 Graphics ProSavage PN133 card which I can use
with XFree86-4.0.3 and successfully startx?

The experts could throw some light on these issues.

TIA,
Shireesh

E. Charters

Mar 3, 2005, 12:08:28 AM3/3/05
Do not set the XF86Config file by hand. Run xf86config and
answer the questions -- and let X select the driver for the monitor
you have selected according to its specs. You will never get the
modelines right by setting X by hand. It will never work. Even
their order of the modelines is important. Whereas it may be possible to
do it, the degree of expertise you would need, and the danger involved
is something akin to riding a bicycle across the grand canyon on
a fishing line of 20 lbs test. With a hippopotamus sitting on the
handlebars. Anyone can do it with a red bicycle, attempting it with
a blue bicycle is ludicrous.

There are plenty of S3 drivers to choose from in the card list.
If you cannot get one to work try either a VGA generic or VGA
unsupported option.

Probably you need to go into character devices in make menuconfig
and enable on board videa with agp and generic agp support.