Remove Linux & install Win 2000 problem

Kev Parkin

Mar 13, 2005, 9:26:22 AM3/13/05
can anyone shed any light on a small problem I have.

After evaluating a couple of Linux distros on my PC (I tried Mandrake
10.1 and Suse 9.2) I chose Suse and decided to put it on a higher spec
box and install win 2000 on the old "linux" box (for the kids to use).

However, I am having some difficulty installing Win 2000.

When I inserted the CD it started OK and then stopped with the
message:

file \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded the error code is 7

OK I thought - Maybe it's due to the linux bootloader, so, I wiped the
disk and did an fdisk/mbr.

tried again and same error!

I then tried to install another linux distro (fedora core 3) both out
of curiosity to see what it looked like and also to see if anything
could be loaded.

Sure enough the system loaded and runs fine.

Anyone know why I can't load windoze

Kev

Lenard

Mar 13, 2005, 9:51:48 AM3/13/05
Kev Parkin wrote:

> file \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded the error code is 7

This is not about Linux, it's a windows problem. With that said, try
resetting your BIOS to the default settings....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318729

Kev Parkin

Mar 14, 2005, 5:38:35 AM3/14/05
Thanks,
tried that, no difference, think I will try installing from a bog
standard CD drive that I know has workedin the past.

Kev

ik

Mar 22, 2005, 3:41:30 AM3/22/05
Hello Kev,
What was the result ? Are you able to load windoz ? I am also facing a
similar prioblem .. by the way what does it mean "bog standard CD
drive" ?
Thanks
Ik