linux - 3.2.0-4-powerpc64 [Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)] -- gcc only 32-bit pointers - how get 64-bit pointers?

mam...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2015, 10:32:52 AM2/7/15
I am 'amazed' by the gcc compiler (picked up via apt-get install ...)

It seems it is only giving 32-bit pointers.

Let's assume I have done something wrong - please tell me what.

"ptr.c" [New File] 9 lines, 181 characters written
root@x066:/data/smoker/perl-blead# gcc -o ptr ptr.c
root@x066:/data/smoker/perl-blead# ./ptr
size of Char Pointer is: 4 bytes

root@x066:/data/smoker# apt-get install gcc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gcc is already the newest version.
gcc set to manually installed.
root@x066:/data/smoker# gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.6.3-14) 4.6.3

p.s. Also tested on ubuntu

root@x067:/home/michael# gcc -o ptr ptr.c
root@x067:/home/michael# ./ptr
Size Char Ptr:4
Size Void Ptr:4
root@x067:/home/michael# gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 4.8.2

Richard Kettlewell

Feb 7, 2015, 12:02:24 PM2/7/15
mam...@gmail.com writes:
> I am 'amazed' by the gcc compiler (picked up via apt-get install ...)
>
> It seems it is only giving 32-bit pointers.
>
> Let's assume I have done something wrong - please tell me what.

As far as I can see, the Debian ppc port only supports 32-bit object
code.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

playforvoices

Feb 8, 2015, 10:16:01 AM2/8/15
To me it seems, you have a 64bit kernel and a 32bit userland. So the gcc
only supports 32bit. But I'm not sure about that.