ADB mouse (2 buttons)

Jean-Luc Barras

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
Hello !

Does anybody use an abd mouse (2 buttons) with LinuxPPC 1999 ? (I am
trying to install a Macally model) ?

Any help is welcome (even just a link !)

Thanks a lot,

Jean-Luc

Yvon Thoraval

Sep 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/28/99
Jean-Luc Barras <j.ba...@swissonline.ch> wrote:

> Does anybody use an abd mouse (2 buttons) with LinuxPPC 1999 ? (I am
> trying to install a Macally model) ?

i'm using a kensington 2BTN

on gnome/enlightenment better to do :

xmodmap -e 'pointer 1 3 2'

on GNUstep windowmaker

inverser the third with second button

rehat mouseconfig seems not to work even you've chosen for 2BTn
emulating 3BTN

j'espere que cela aide ;-))

William Blew

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99

In article <37F16A9C...@swissonline.ch>, Jean-Luc Barras
<j.ba...@swissonline.ch> wrote:

> Hello !

> Does anybody use an abd mouse (2 buttons) with LinuxPPC 1999 ? (I am
> trying to install a Macally model) ?
>

> Any help is welcome (even just a link !)
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Jean-Luc

As you, I own a MacAlly 2-button ADB mouse. I looked into this problem
and discovered that the MacAlly mouse uses a non-standard (read: not
supported) protocol method to support its second (the right) button.

As a result, the linux kernel (which supports Apple's standard
extensions for multi button mice, their 'extended mouse protocol')
doesn't talk to it correctly.

When I contacted MacAlly about this issue, they stated that although
they were considering releasing their protocol's details, to permit the
development of a linux driver, they hadn't yet.

I got the impression that there was resistance within MacAlly due to a
belief that their commercial position would suffer should such 'trade
secrets' be placed in the public domain.

My advice? Buy another mouse. Anybody have a recommendation for a two
(or three) button ADB mouse that is compatible with linuxppc out of the
box (i.e no patches?)? The real question is: ["Which ADB multi-button
mice, if any, support apple's "extended mouse protocol"?]

Yvon Thoraval

Oct 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/3/99
William Blew <wb...@home.com> wrote:

> My advice? Buy another mouse. Anybody have a recommendation for a two
> (or three) button ADB mouse that is compatible with linuxppc out of the
> box (i.e no patches?)? The real question is: ["Which ADB multi-button
> mice, if any, support apple's "extended mouse protocol"?]

i bought a kensington 2BTN believing using redhat i'll be able to
confure it emulating the thirs by pressing both, but this don't work ...

Michael Schmitz

Oct 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/5/99
William Blew wrote:
> As you, I own a MacAlly 2-button ADB mouse. I looked into this problem
> and discovered that the MacAlly mouse uses a non-standard (read: not
> supported) protocol method to support its second (the right) button.
>
> As a result, the linux kernel (which supports Apple's standard
> extensions for multi button mice, their 'extended mouse protocol')
> doesn't talk to it correctly.

What happens when the second button is pressed? A button 1 event? Weird
characters echoed on the screen (mouse sends second botton masquerading
as keyboard)? If not, it would be possible to figure the protocol by
logging the ADB packets while playing with the mouse.

> When I contacted MacAlly about this issue, they stated that although
> they were considering releasing their protocol's details, to permit the
> development of a linux driver, they hadn't yet.

Their help may not be required in this matter. I'd dump the mouse
packets and watch for changes of the high bit of the second data byte
(the high bit of the first data byte is the standard button IIRC, and
the corresponding bit in the second byte is unused in the standard mouse
protocol). The necessary code is already in place in adb.c:adb_input, it
just needs to be activated.

Michael