Non-destructive Partition tool for the Mac

steal...@hotmail.com

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
I'm looking for a non-destructive partition tool for my powerbook(Like FIPS in
the intel world).

This is what I want to do....

Create a new partition out of my free space and install linuxPPC.

I have installed RedHat many times on a Intel Based machine and Redhat comes
with the FIPS tool that allows you to non-destructivly add partitions to your
system.

Is there such a tool for the Mac??

Note. We are renting the powerbook and it did not come with the System CD.

Thanks,

Mark Wendlandt

Anthony D. Saxton

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:36:53 -0800, steal...@hotmail.com wrote
(in message <7af283$eo0$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>):

> I'm looking for a non-destructive partition tool for my powerbook(Like FIPS
> in the intel world).
>
> This is what I want to do....
>
> Create a new partition out of my free space and install linuxPPC.
>
> I have installed RedHat many times on a Intel Based machine and Redhat
> comes with the FIPS tool that allows you to non-destructivly add partitions
> to your system.
>
> Is there such a tool for the Mac??
>
> Note. We are renting the powerbook and it did not come with the System CD.

You sound like a prime candidate for LinuxPPC Live
<http://www.linuxppc.com/products/Live/>. It allows you to install Linux into a
disk image file without changing the partitions on your boot disk.

--
Anthony D. Saxton Owner President LnA Concepts The Las Vegas Macintosh mailto:l...@bigfoot.com mailto:l...@vmug.com http://www.bigfoot.com/~lna http://www.vmug.com

Wulf Hofbauer

Feb 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/18/99
steal...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Is there such a tool for the Mac??

Just about any tool should allow this, including pdisk (the standard
LinuxPPC/MkLinux partitioning tool).

- Wulf

dst...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
<SNIP>

> You sound like a prime candidate for LinuxPPC Live
> <http://www.linuxppc.com/products/Live/>. It allows you to install Linux into a
> disk image file without changing the partitions on your boot disk.

I can't get Linux Live to boot on my StarMax 4000. Tried all the obvious
problems. Made sure I ftp it down in binary. When BootX starts the Linux
boot it tells me it can't find the live filesystem. I ungzipped it and
renamed it "live.fileystem" Any suggestions??

Dave

Jonathan Singer

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
In article <36CB5C1E...@echo.chem.tu-berlin.de>, Wulf Hofbauer
<w...@echo.chem.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

The key word here is "nondestructively"! As far as I know, SilverLining is
the only option. A Mac version of FIPS would be great.

Bernard Rooney

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
In article <7aldjt$i$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dst...@my-dejanews.com
wrote:

> <SNIP>
> > You sound like a prime candidate for LinuxPPC Live
> > <http://www.linuxppc.com/products/Live/>. It allows you to install Linux
> > into a
> > disk image file without changing the partitions on your boot disk.
>
> I can't get Linux Live to boot on my StarMax 4000. Tried all the obvious
> problems. Made sure I ftp it down in binary. When BootX starts the Linux
> boot it tells me it can't find the live filesystem. I ungzipped it and
> renamed it "live.fileystem" Any suggestions??

try taking it out of the LinuxPPC folder and putting it in the top
level of the system folder.

PrimaryVox

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
FWB's HD Toolkit will allow non-destructive resizing of *HFS* partitions only.
The new G3 powerbooks come preformatted HFS+ though.. =o/ I had to backup to
jazz... re-initialize and repartition my internal HD.

<< The key word here is "nondestructively"! As far as I know, SilverLining is
the only option. A Mac version of FIPS would be great. >>

Micah DesJardins
primaryvox(NOSPAM)@aol.com

dst...@bright.net

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
In article <230219992111299546%hg...@zip.com.au>,

Bernard Rooney <hg...@zip.com.au> wrote:
> In article <7aldjt$i$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dst...@my-dejanews.com
> wrote:
>
> > <SNIP>
> > > You sound like a prime candidate for LinuxPPC Live
> > > <http://www.linuxppc.com/products/Live/>. It allows you to install Linux
> > > into a
> > > disk image file without changing the partitions on your boot disk.
> >
> > I can't get Linux Live to boot on my StarMax 4000. Tried all the obvious
> > problems. Made sure I ftp it down in binary. When BootX starts the Linux
> > boot it tells me it can't find the live filesystem. I ungzipped it and
> > renamed it "live.fileystem" Any suggestions??
>
> try taking it out of the LinuxPPC folder and putting it in the top
> level of the system folder.

Thanks for your post. Tried it. No go. Any other suggestions?

dst...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/27/99
In article <230219992111299546%hg...@zip.com.au>,
Bernard Rooney <hg...@zip.com.au> wrote:
> In article <7aldjt$i$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, dst...@my-dejanews.com
> wrote:
>
> > <SNIP>
> > > You sound like a prime candidate for LinuxPPC Live
> > > <http://www.linuxppc.com/products/Live/>. It allows you to install Linux
> > > into a
> > > disk image file without changing the partitions on your boot disk.
> >
> > I can't get Linux Live to boot on my StarMax 4000. Tried all the obvious
> > problems. Made sure I ftp it down in binary. When BootX starts the Linux
> > boot it tells me it can't find the live filesystem. I ungzipped it and
> > renamed it "live.fileystem" Any suggestions??
>
> try taking it out of the LinuxPPC folder and putting it in the top
> level of the system folder.

Tried it. No go. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

timal...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99
I have a StarMax 3000 and the only way I could at least get LinuxPPC Live to
even start was to copy the LinuxPPC folder to my internal SCSI disk. It
would not load from the StarMax's internal IDE drive. But I too am still
having problems, it appears the Linux desktop begins to load but the cursor
just stays an X with no icons on the desktop....

Tim

dst...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > You sound like a prime candidate for LinuxPPC Live
> > <http://www.linuxppc.com/products/Live/>. It allows you to install Linux
into a
> > disk image file without changing the partitions on your boot disk.
>
> I can't get Linux Live to boot on my StarMax 4000. Tried all the obvious
> problems. Made sure I ftp it down in binary. When BootX starts the Linux
> boot it tells me it can't find the live filesystem. I ungzipped it and
> renamed it "live.fileystem" Any suggestions??

moos...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2012, 2:12:15 AM7/30/12
All the users who stuck in such type of issues or waiting for such a program which can easily modify he partition of their Mac machines. Your search ends here with the help of partition tool for Mac that I am going to suggest for your all. This is the best tool ever designed for proper mac partition approach with 100% success rate.

You all got a best help @ http://partitiontoolmac.com

ppc.addon

Jul 31, 2012, 11:57:26 PM7/31/12
On Monday, July 30, 2012 8:12:15 AM UTC+2, moos...@gmail.com wrote:
> All the users who stuck in such type of issues or waiting for such a program which can easily modify he partition of their Mac machines. Your search ends here with the help of partition tool for Mac that I am going to suggest for your all. This is the best tool ever designed for proper mac partition approach with 100% success rate.
>

> You all got a best help @ http://partitiontoolmac.com

this group is about Linux discussions only

regards,
Nello

--
my blog: http://linuxpowerpc.blogspot.com/
CRUX PPC user!

Nick Leverton

Aug 3, 2012, 6:16:41 PM8/3/12
In article <e161d90e-9fae-48cf...@googlegroups.com>,
ppc.addon <ppc....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, July 30, 2012 8:12:15 AM UTC+2, moos...@gmail.com wrote:
>> All the users who stuck in such type of issues or waiting for such a program which can easily modify he partition of their Mac machines. Your search ends here with the
>help of partition tool for Mac that I am going to suggest for your all. This is the best tool ever designed for proper mac partition approach with 100% success rate.
>>

>> You all got a best help @ http://partitiontoolmac.com
>

>this group is about Linux discussions only

Linux runs on Mac (both ix86 and PPC) and EFI partitions need editors.
It's at least marginally on topic, if it works. Myself I'm going even
smaller, if only cos PPCs rule my life at present and anything's got to
be better ;-)

Nick