ifconfig equivalent for Windows?

buck

Mar 12, 2008, 2:54:02 PM3/12/08
I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb) TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)

and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?
--
buck

Geoff Lane

Mar 12, 2008, 3:13:45 PM3/12/08
buck wrote:
> I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
> that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
> frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

I think ipconfig is the closest windows command line utility.

Geoff Lane

Shadow_7

Mar 12, 2008, 3:58:51 PM3/12/08
> I think ipconfig is the closest windows command line utility.

ditto.

winipcfg on older windows.

ipconfig /ALL

in combination with

route PRINT

Most of the stuff is gui based. Not that they all of them are accessible
from the menu by default. Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager ->
Network Interface -> Properties -> TCP/IP -> and friends. I'm kind of
surprised that I remember that. I haven't run windows or worked in windows
for several years. Half a decade even. The real trick is regedit.exe
tricks to change your MTU size and stuff. Which varies between versions.

Why do they keep calling it java when it's really C#+-XYZ? As I look at my
java game book, and see that almost every I/O call on it has been
deprecated.

Rikishi 42

Mar 12, 2008, 8:23:18 PM3/12/08

Under the Win9x/ME familly: Start/run/winipcfg

Under NT4, W2K, XP and probably Vista:

'ipconfig' will get you ip address, subnet mask and default gateway.
'ipconfig /all' will get you more details (DNS, DHCP, etc...)

Also, if the machine is configured to use DHCP:
'ipconfig /release' will release the IP to DHCP
'ipconfig /renew' will request an address from the DHCP

Douglas Adams

jlfa...@hotmail.com

Mar 23, 2008, 3:53:31 PM3/23/08
On Mar 12, 6:23 pm, Rikishi 42 <skunkwo...@rikishi42.net> wrote:

Hey you may want to try the "netsh" commands in windows, this is a
powerful command line.
Try "netsh diag adapter 1".........hope this helps

buck

Mar 24, 2008, 2:23:20 AM3/24/08
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:53:31 -0700 (PDT), jlfa...@hotmail.com wrote:

>On Mar 12, 6:23 pm, Rikishi 42 <skunkwo...@rikishi42.net> wrote:
>> On 2008-03-12, buck <b...@private.mil> wrote:
>>
>> > I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
>> > that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
>> > frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.
>>
>> > The problem is that we have a mixed network of Linux and Windows boxes
>> > and my main Linux machine's internal facing NIC is showing
>> > RX packets:86272246 errors:3084 dropped:821 overruns:3084 frame:0
>> > TX packets:80610778 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:4 carrier:0
>> > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>> > RX bytes:4145544363 (3953.4 Mb)  TX bytes:3168716203 (3021.9 Mb)
>>
>> > and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
>> > Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
>> > some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?

>Hey you may want to try the "netsh" commands in windows, this is a

>powerful command line.
>Try "netsh diag adapter 1".........hope this helps

netsh opens a shell. There is no "diag" and none of the available
commands looks promising. What version of Windows does this work for?
--
buck

Shadow_7

Mar 31, 2008, 11:23:19 PM3/31/08
> netsh opens a shell. There is no "diag" and none of the available
> commands looks promising. What version of Windows does this work for?

Apparently Vista. I just used netsh for the first time today.

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "1" MTU=576 stored=persistent

(or something like that)
I guess that's better than hacking the windows registry to change MTU
size. But still a bit cryptic and relatively undocumented. I had to
google from linux to get that gem. Because I couldn't get anything across
the internet aside from a ping until I made the change. Which is odd
because it worked fine six months ago when I last booted windows.

law...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2008, 8:11:08 PM4/8/08
On Mar 12, 2:54 pm, buck <b...@private.mil> wrote:
> I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
> that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
> frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.
[...]

> and I need to find the Bad Boy that is causing all those overruns.
> Short of booting a live Linux distro on each Windows box, is there
> some tool available for detecting the source of the RX overruns?
> --
> buck

netstat -es

buck

Apr 9, 2008, 12:16:05 AM4/9/08

YES! That works well enough. Thank you so much.
--
buck

keith...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2017, 12:11:08 PM10/9/17

Carlos E. R.

Oct 9, 2017, 6:44:20 PM10/9/17
On 2017-10-09 18:11, keith...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at 3:54:02 PM UTC-3, buck wrote:
>> I have been searching for hours trying to find a utility for Windows
>> that will return the same information as ifconfig regarding overruns,
>> frame, carrier, Etc. and I find nothing at all.

It is called "ipconfig" and runs in a "shell".

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

David W. Hodgins

Oct 10, 2017, 12:39:18 AM10/10/17
Any particular reason for replying to an article posted over 11 years ago?

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwho...@nomail.afraid.org to davidw...@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Ziggi

Oct 10, 2017, 2:19:22 PM10/10/17
On 2017-10-10, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 18:43:03 -0400, Carlos E. R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:
>
> Any particular reason for replying to an article posted over 11 years ago?
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

Better Late than never.

--
:-)

Carlos E.R.

Oct 10, 2017, 2:44:16 PM10/10/17
On 2017-10-10 04:21, David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 18:43:03 -0400, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

>> It is called "ipconfig" and runs in a "shell".
>
> Any particular reason for replying to an article posted over 11 years ago?

The article I replied to was posted yesterday. I did not notice that it
was a reply to a way old article.

You should have told that to "keithbruni1", not me.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

David W. Hodgins

Oct 10, 2017, 4:34:02 PM10/10/17
Oops!. Just like when pointing out spellling errrorrs, the comment almost
always includes a mistake.

Luuk

Oct 22, 2017, 11:39:51 AM10/22/17
no 'overruns' are shown.....

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all | findstr /i run

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Carlos E.R.

Oct 23, 2017, 8:52:15 AM10/23/17
Well, it is not the same tool, it is bound to be different.

--
Cheers, Carlos.