Time for a new wifi router to improve my far away wifi areas?

Gobbling Ant

Nov 26, 2020, 4:23:16 PM11/26/20
Hello.

I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow, unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the kitchen, family, garage, laundry, guest, etc.

I tried two different wifi extenders (Linksys RE4000W N600 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender and Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) -- both have updated stock firmwares) to match the old router's wifi two (regular + guest WAPs) SSIDs, but they were unstable, not connecting, slow, etc. Many times, I had to physically reboot the extenders to fix the issues. I already tried changing their channels to avoid conflicts with neighbors, Arlo's base stations, etc. but they didn't help much. I don't know if getting another extender again would help after two different ones over the years. Maybe I need a new wifi router (will a mesh type be better?) since it's old?

If it is time for a new wifi router, then here what I need for it:
1. A guest WAP for visitors to use my Internet and not touch my LAN stuff.
2. Latest technology and security, but it still needs to work with old wifi devices like WPA2-SPK, WEP (very rare though), etc.
3. Open source firmware support if alternative and future when official support is dropped.
4. Reach far away places (up to 30 meters away) in an mostly one floor home. Family rooms, kitchen, etc. that are weak and unstable.
5. Must be wireless only. No indoor wiring like network cables and power outlets.
6. Price doesn't matter. Any good ones from Best Buy, Costco, Amazon, Fry's Electronics, etc.?
7. Must not require an online account and apps to use and access the router/extender. Optional is OK. No phoning home too for privacy reasons.
8. Still need network ports for my devices like my decade old PCs with their network cables.

Any suggestions? Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. Also, happy Thanksgiving! :)
--
Gobble, gobble! Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, tiredness, z, my body, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), heat, interruptions, issues, conflicts, obstacles, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. D:
| |o o| |

Carlos E.R.

Nov 27, 2020, 8:56:10 AM11/27/20
On 26/11/2020 22.23, Gobbling Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow, unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the kitchen, family, garage, laundry, guest, etc.

Look for a router or access point with MIMO. Three aerials. They can
beam the radio in the direction of the gadget you are using, thus
increasing range and "speed".

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO>

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Ant

Nov 27, 2020, 4:14:53 PM11/27/20
Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) had three aerial
sticks which didn't help even after adjusting. I used to have an old Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
router with two aerial sticks, and that was worse before Netgear R6300 v1.0 router.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 27, 2020, 5:32:10 PM11/27/20
On 27/11/2020 22.14, Ant wrote:
> Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 26/11/2020 22.23, Gobbling Ant wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to fix my far away wifi issue that is weak, slow, unstable, and not connecting in the mostly one floor home. Currently, I use an old Netgear R6300 v1 from 2012 or so. It works great in close by rooms, but not far away rooms like the kitchen, family, garage, laundry, guest, etc.
>
>> Look for a router or access point with MIMO. Three aerials. They can
>> beam the radio in the direction of the gadget you are using, thus
>> increasing range and "speed".
>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO>
>
> Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) had three aerial
> sticks which didn't help even after adjusting. I used to have an old Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
> router with two aerial sticks, and that was worse before Netgear R6300 v1.0 router.

By "range extender" you mean something that is not connected by Ethernet
to your network? That sort of thing is never going to work fine.

Of course, not only your router needs to be powerful enough, your
portable devices need also to be powerful enough.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Ant

Nov 27, 2020, 8:01:32 PM11/27/20
Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:
> On 27/11/2020 22.14, Ant wrote:
> > Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

> >> Look for a router or access point with MIMO. Three aerials. They can
> >> beam the radio in the direction of the gadget you are using, thus
> >> increasing range and "speed".
> >
> >> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO>
> >
> > Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) had three aerial
> > sticks which didn't help even after adjusting. I used to have an old Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
> > router with two aerial sticks, and that was worse before Netgear R6300 v1.0 router.

> By "range extender" you mean something that is not connected by Ethernet
> to your network? That sort of thing is never going to work fine.

Correct. Both extenders were like that.

> Of course, not only your router needs to be powerful enough, your
> portable devices need also to be powerful enough.

Many portable wifi devices (e.g., iPhone 4S and 6+, iPad Air, MacBook Pros from 2012 and
2008), etc. are old.

Carlos E.R.

Nov 27, 2020, 11:04:10 PM11/27/20
On 28/11/2020 02.01, Ant wrote:
> Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) had three aerial
>>> sticks which didn't help even after adjusting. I used to have an old Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
>>> router with two aerial sticks, and that was worse before Netgear R6300 v1.0 router.
>
>> By "range extender" you mean something that is not connected by Ethernet
>> to your network? That sort of thing is never going to work fine.
>
> Correct. Both extenders were like that.
>

>> Of course, not only your router needs to be powerful enough, your
>> portable devices need also to be powerful enough.
>
> Many portable wifi devices (e.g., iPhone 4S and 6+, iPad Air, MacBook Pros from 2012 and
> 2008), etc. are old.

Then what would probably work is two (or more if needed) good access
points, connected by cable, in different points of the house, so that
all rooms get good signal.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Ant

Nov 28, 2020, 2:24:19 AM11/28/20
I wished the owners would let me cable this big house, but they won't. :(
--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, z, tiredness, my old body, (sick/ill)ness (e.g., COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, issues, conflicts, obstacles, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. D: Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.

Ant

Nov 28, 2020, 2:25:40 AM11/28/20
Johann Beretta <ber...@nun-ya-bizness.com> wrote:
> [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: utf-8, 22 lines --]

> On 11/26/20 1:23 PM, Gobbling Ant wrote:

> > I tried two different wifi extenders (Linksys RE4000W N600 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender and Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS; AC1900) -- both have updated stock firmwares) to match the old router's wifi two (regular + guest WAPs) SSIDs, but they were unstable, not connecting, slow, etc. Many times, I had to physically reboot the extenders to fix the issues. I already tried changing their channels to avoid conflicts with neighbors, Arlo's base stations, etc. but they didn't help much. I don't know if getting another extender again would help after two different ones over the years. Maybe I need a new wifi router (will a mesh type be better?) since it's old?

> Why? Why are you spending money on extenders to extend the range of an
> old turd of a router? C'mon.. Spend the money on a new router. WiFi
> tech has increased massively in the last 8 years. We've got all sorts of
> new MIMO and beamforming capabilities. Hell, you don't have to spend
> more than $28 to get MIMO. So why waste money on extending the range of
> an ancient piece-of-shit (no offense)?

Hence, why I am thinking of getting a new router since it's old. What's
a good one? Someone told me to look into mesh types like Netgear Orbi,
Amazon eero, Google Nest, etc. However, they don't meet my requirements
so far.

--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, z, tiredness, my old body, (sick/ill)ness (e.g., COVID-19 & SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, issues, conflicts, obstacles, stresses, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. D: Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.

Scott Hemphill

Nov 28, 2020, 11:44:17 AM11/28/20
"Carlos E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> writes:

> On 27/11/2020 22.14, Ant wrote:
>> Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> Look for a router or access point with MIMO. Three aerials. They can
>>> beam the radio in the direction of the gadget you are using, thus
>>> increasing range and "speed".
>>
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO>
>>
>> Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS;
>> AC1900) had three aerial
>> sticks which didn't help even after adjusting. I used to have an old
>> Linksys WRT54GL v1.1
>> router with two aerial sticks, and that was worse before Netgear
>> R6300 v1.0 router.
>
> By "range extender" you mean something that is not connected by Ethernet
> to your network? That sort of thing is never going to work fine.

My mileage varies. My eero Pros do quite well. It is a mesh network
which operates on the standard 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, with an additional
5GHz band which it uses for a backhaul. Not only do I get great speed
in every corner of the house, I also have no trouble carrying a device
(that knows how to roam) from one corner to another with a running
application. It is easy to set up and manage with a cell phone app.

Scott
--
Scott Hemphill hemp...@alumni.caltech.edu
"This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

Ant

Nov 28, 2020, 4:18:28 PM11/28/20
Johann Beretta <ber...@nun-ya-bizness.com> wrote:
> Whatever you do end up getting, unless you need the bandwidth provided
> by the default 80MHz wide signal, please narrow it down. ORBIs are, by
> default, bandwidth wasting pieces of shit. Few people actually have 1
> GBPS connections but ORBIs are set to an 80MHz wide signal that simply
> pollutes the local wireless spectrum.

My cable is about 200 Mb/sec download and 10 Mb/sec upload. I hope
Netgear Orbi are customizable to my needs. I was reading their PDF
manuals overnight and they seem to have stuff I want like network ports,
guest WAP, web access, etc. Now, I just need to pick a model:

1. Pro AC3000 Tri-Band Whole Home Wi-Fi System (2-pack; 5K sq. ft) [SRK60 / SRK60100NAS]
2. AX6000 Mesh WiFi 6 System (newer; up 60+ devices)
3. Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System with Advanced Cyber Security, 3-pack (RBK753S-100NAS; older; 7,500 sq. ft.)
4. I doubt I will get RBK50 = 802.11ac (oldest -- can use web or app to setup; go up to 5K sq. ft.; 1 satellite).

William Unruh

Nov 28, 2020, 4:29:02 PM11/28/20
What they probably won't allow is letting you drill holes in the walls
or floor to run the cables. Running them outside the walls (along
baseboards, over the doors, etc, it is not clear what they could do
about that. all of the rooms already have holes in them (doors) tht
allow passage of cables.