Help to install extundelete on ppc, please.

Jose María Yohn

Oct 22, 2021, 4:32:40 PM10/22/21
Hi

I'm trying to install the extundelete source on a debian kind of NAS but I'm unable to set properly the packages to install the g++ compiler to compile the sourceforge's one nor the sources.list to be able to install it. I'm trying to recover a full folder...

Thanks anyway.

Info:
/opt# apt-get install extundelete
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package extundelete

/opt# uname -a
Linux MyBookLive 2.6.32.11-svn70860 #1 Thu May 17 13:32:51 PDT 2012 ppc GNU/Linux

/opt# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main

Computer Nerd Kev

Oct 22, 2021, 6:53:37 PM10/22/21
That sources.list file looks like a mess. First Debian Wheezy is no
longer equal to Debian stable, so you're asking Apt to pull in
packages for two different Debian versions. Plus neither version is
the one you're actually running because kernel v. 2.6.32 was used
in Debian Squeeze (V. 6), Debian Wheezy (V. 7) used kernel v. 3.2.

Squeeze is unsupported, so I think the packages won't be available
from the standard package sites anymore. You should use:
http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/debian/

Looking here, there seems to be a powerpc package for extundelete
from the Debian Squeeze era:
http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/debian/pool/main/e/extundelete/

extundelete_0.2.4-1_powerpc.deb 2014-10-21 22:27 48K

You should install it with a package manager after replacing your
current sources.list entries with this:
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/debian-non-US squeeze/non-US main contrib non-free

(I'm guessing with the "non-US" line, I haven't used that myself)

Then:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install extundelete

Note that if you've installed other packages for the wrong Debian
version already, there may be dependency problems. You could also
cheat and just download "extundelete_0.2.4-1_powerpc.deb" and then
do:
sudo dpkg -i extundelete_0.2.4-1_powerpc.deb
Recover your files, and then remove it with:
sudo dpkg -r extundelete

That's assuming you've already got the dependencies installed.

Finally, I just realised that what you really should be doing for
recovering deleted files is to pull out or image the disk that
they're on (hopefully you've been keeping it unmounted since the
deletion accident), and do all this from a PC running (hopefully
better configured) Linux.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Jose María Yohn

Oct 28, 2021, 7:54:37 AM10/28/21

Thanks,

I don't want to break the HDD box, and is only the KAD folder, so... deleted it is.

Anyway, again Thanks for the support. It didn't work. As the pakage was not found on both paths, nor I had the dependencies installed for the package. Too old. So I gave up. But I had some fun trying.

I need to set up proper backup server anyway.

Cheers,

Carlos E.R.

Oct 28, 2021, 9:12:08 AM10/28/21
On 22/10/2021 22.32, Jose María Yohn wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to install the extundelete source on a debian kind of NAS but I'm unable to set properly the packages to install the g++ compiler to compile the sourceforge's one nor the sources.list to be able to install it. I'm trying to recover a full folder...

Better install that on your computer, then remove the hard disk from NAS
and connect to computer.

And from second zero the NAS should be powered down.

Maybe the NAS can be connected via USB to computer, and in that mode the
disk is directly visible.

--
Cheers, Carlos.