xfce --> MATE ??

Sep 27, 2021, 8:06:15 PM9/27/21
Hi All,

Any of you guys know of a way to transfer all
my custom Xfce Panel 1 launchers over to MATE?

Or am I looking at the hard way?

Maybe I should just program it in Raku.

Many thank,
-T

SevenOverSix

Sep 30, 2021, 2:47:12 PM9/30/21
Well, you could just install Mate right over the
top of XFCE .... and then use whichever you want.
Neither are THAT huge. I have a mix of XFCE and
LXDE on this little subnotebook.

Sep 30, 2021, 8:44:59 PM9/30/21
I can pick which one I want at logon.

I have found where MATE defines it panels, but not
where the innards of them reside.

I have A LOT of stuff in Xfce's Panel 1.

dillinger

Oct 1, 2021, 1:56:17 PM10/1/21
On xfce those are all *.desktop files stored in
~/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-1 etc.
I know they can be copied to KDE, I don't know were MATE stores them.

David W. Hodgins

Oct 1, 2021, 3:17:55 PM10/1/21
On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 13:53:10 -0400, dillinger <dill...@invalid.not> wrote:
> On xfce those are all *.desktop files stored in
> ~/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-1 etc.
> I know they can be copied to KDE, I don't know were MATE stores them.

On my multi desktop environment install of Mageia 8 ...
$ tree -ifa|grep mate|grep desktop
./.config/mate/panel2.d/default/launchers/org.kde.konsole.desktop
./.local/share/fish/generated_completions/mate-desktop-item-edit.fish

Regards, Dave Hodgins

--
Change dwho...@nomail.afraid.org to davidw...@teksavvy.com for
email replies.

Oct 1, 2021, 4:25:42 PM10/1/21
On 10/1/21 10:53, dillinger wrote:
> I don't know were MATE stores them.

That is big hold up.

I have found where the launchers are defined,
but not what populates them.

I created a folder called MickyMouse in Mate's
Application folder using their edit tool,
then did a

find ~ | grep -il Mickey

and drew a blank

It could be in some kind of database format
that uses UFT16 of some such.

And Mate does not have a mailing or forum.
They tell you to use your distro's forum.
(The Fedora guys drew a blank too.)

Update:
I have since found:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/back-up-the-mate-desktop-settings-linux/

And I can dump MATE's with:

$ dconf dump /org/mate > ~/Desktop/dconf-mate-backup

But I am unclear if

$ dconf load /org/mate/ < dconf-mate-backup

overwrites or appends. I am after appends.

Oct 1, 2021, 4:37:34 PM10/1/21
On 10/1/21 13:25, T wrote:
> On 10/1/21 10:53, dillinger wrote:
>> I don't know were MATE stores them.
>
> That is big hold up.
>
> I have found where the launchers are defined,
> but not what populates them.
>
> I created a folder called MickyMouse in Mate's
> Application folder using their edit tool,
> then did a
>
> find ~ | grep -il Mickey
>
> and drew a blank
>
> It could be in some kind of database format
> that uses UFT16 of some such.
>
> And Mate does not have a mailing or forum.
> They tell you to use your distro's forum.
> (The Fedora guys drew a blank too.)
>
> Update:
> I have since found:
>
> https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/back-up-the-mate-desktop-settings-linux/
>

> And I can dump MATE's with:
>
> $ dconf dump /org/mate/ > ~/Desktop/dconf-mate-backup
>

> But I am unclear if
>
> $ dconf load /org/mate/ < dconf-mate-backup
>
> overwrites or appends.  I am after appends.

And

$ conf dump /org/mate/ | less

still does not contain the innards of the applications
pull down

GRRRR

Oct 2, 2021, 7:59:09 PM10/2/21
On 10/2/21 11:58, yamas wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2021 13:25:35 -0700, T wrote:
>
>> I created a folder called MickyMouse in Mate's Application folder using
>> their edit tool, then did a
>>
>> find ~ | grep -il Mickey
>>
>> and drew a blank
>
> gee, I wonder why...
>
> Micky != Mickey

Mike, Mouse and a bunch of others did to work either.

Jack Strangio

Oct 2, 2021, 10:16:33 PM10/2/21
T <T...@invalid.invalid> writes:
> On 10/1/21 10:53, dillinger wrote:
> > I don't know were MATE stores them.

I use MATE. To find your launchers, go to your home directory and use find and grep

cd
find . | grep desktop$

and you will find that there are .desktop files in several locations:

~/.local/share/applications/nse.desktop

~/.config/mate/panel2.d/default/launchers/read.news.desktop

~/.config/autostart/mintreport.desktop

and did you know that you can store your personal launcher-icons in a
defined folder? From there you can drag and drop them onto your MATE panel.
Saves you having to rewrite them when you install your new distro version.

I save mine in ~/launcher-icons:

~/launcher-icons/firefox.desktop
~/launcher-icons/trs80.desktop
~/launcher-icons/tass.local-1.desktop
~/launcher-icons/ripperx.desktop

Jack
--
"My mother says I don't know what good, clean fun is.
She's right. I don't know what good it is."

- Laugh-In, 1968

Oct 3, 2021, 2:14:08 AM10/3/21
On 10/2/21 19:16, Jack Strangio wrote:
> T <T...@invalid.invalid> writes:
>> On 10/1/21 10:53, dillinger wrote:
>>> I don't know were MATE stores them.
>>
> I use MATE. To find your launchers, go to your home directory and use find and grep
>
> cd
> find . | grep desktop$
>
> and you will find that there are .desktop files in several locations:
>
> ~/.local/share/applications/nse.desktop
>
> ~/.config/mate/panel2.d/default/launchers/read.news.desktop
>
> ~/.config/autostart/mintreport.desktop
>
> and did you know that you can store your personal launcher-icons in a
> defined folder? From there you can drag and drop them onto your MATE panel.
> Saves you having to rewrite them when you install your new distro version.
>
> I save mine in ~/launcher-icons:
>
> ~/launcher-icons/firefox.desktop
> ~/launcher-icons/trs80.desktop
> ~/launcher-icons/tass.local-1.desktop
> ~/launcher-icons/ripperx.desktop
>
> Jack

Hi Jack,

It sounds better than what I had in mind and easier
to code too.

I do not quite understand everything you said, but
I did not read it over slowly. I should be able
to read property tomorrow.

Thank you!
-T

The Natural Philosopher