different flavours of XCFE

verity

Jul 23, 2022, 7:38:51 AM7/23/22
Using Alma Linux 9, I installed XFCE (coz I hate Gnome) and noticed it
has the panel in the middle of the bottom, like the old XFCE, which was
imitating CDE a bit.
Whereas in Mint, they have narrow panel across the bottom, with
menu in the left corner for those used to Windows.
Anyway just rambling coz it's raining and I had a few glasses of red wine.

The Natural Philosopher

Jul 23, 2022, 8:50:16 AM7/23/22
Well its jot sunny and dry here, and I am not yet started on the wine,
but MINT Mate, at least allows panels to be top/bottom left or right or
any combination of te above, or autohiding as well

I guess its the mint default to put one at the bottom, XP style

Josef Stalin

Dan Espen

Jul 23, 2022, 12:31:54 PM7/23/22
The Natural Philosopher <t...@invalid.invalid> writes:

> On 23/07/2022 12:38, verity wrote:
>> Using Alma Linux 9, I installed XFCE (coz I hate Gnome) and noticed
>> it has the panel in the middle of the bottom, like the old XFCE,
>> which was imitating CDE a bit.
>> Whereas in Mint, they have narrow panel across the bottom, with
>> menu in the left corner for those used to Windows.
>> Anyway just rambling coz it's raining and I had a few glasses of red wine.
>

> Well its jot sunny and dry here, and I am not yet started on the wine,
> but MINT Mate, at least allows panels to be top/bottom left or right
> or any combination of te above, or autohiding as well
>
> I guess its the mint default to put one at the bottom, XP style

Not an XFCE user, but:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/245919/how-can-i-change-xfce-bottom-panel-to-the-top

--
Dan Espen

Joe Beanfish

Jul 25, 2022, 10:14:48 AM7/25/22
Panels are highly configurable. Make it how you like it.

I've used and loved xfce for quite some years, but I'm abandoning it
because of gtk 3 making every program its own window manager. Grinds
my gears every time I have to run a gtk 3 program and it ignores all
of my window manager settings and behaviors.