Installing Debian On A1200

Richard

Nov 26, 2006, 3:56:27 PM11/26/06
Hi Guys

I have a problem Installing the latest Debain m68k 3.1 r3 "Sarge" on my
A1200
The problem is that it can't mount my external scsi cdrom drive .
the installation gets as far as the "Detect and mount CD-Rom" cdrom drive
and no further.
I am using a Surf Squirrel PCMCIA scsi card and a 4x external scsi cdrom
drive

Any help would be gratefully received.

Richard

Jerry Heyman

Nov 26, 2006, 5:07:34 PM11/26/06
on Sunday 26 November 2006 03:56 pm, ric...@poweredbyamiga.plus.com
(Richard) wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I have a problem Installing the latest Debain m68k 3.1 r3 "Sarge" on my
> A1200
> The problem is that it can't mount my external scsi cdrom drive .
> the installation gets as far as the "Detect and mount CD-Rom" cdrom drive
> and no further.
> I am using a Surf Squirrel PCMCIA scsi card and a 4x external scsi cdrom
> drive

Not sure this will help, but when I had a similar problem on my A3000, I
got the following response:

:On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:00:29 +0100, Christian Brandt <bra...@psi5.com>
wrote:

: je...@hobbeshollow.com schrieb:
: > I recently decided to install Debian on my 12yr old A3000 to see
: > what it would do. The machine is currently running AmigaOS 3.9 and
: > has run Minix 1.0 in the past.
:
: One thing you could try: Switch your SCSI-Interface between syncronous
: and asyncronous. There are some old tools which let you do this from
: Amiga-OS, I'll send you the program per E-Mail - it is only 5kByte. This
: helped me in one case and never harmed otherwise. Also check the
: SCSI-Chip Revision, a chip from Western Digital. WD-xxxxx-04 is old and
: very buggy, -06 is a little buggy and -08 is ok.
:
: The Programm is known as A3000SCSI and lets you set sync/async, long
: spinup-time on power-on and multiple lun support. It writes its data
: into the A3000 CMOS (yes, it actually has one, it is just mostly
: forgotten).
:
: Also read http://www.fh-luh.de/~spider/Amiga/Hacks/A3000SCSI.txt or
: the Babelfish-Version at
:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fh-luh.de%2F%7Espider%2FAmiga%2FHacks%2FA3000SCSI.txt
:
:

> Any help would be gratefully received.
>
> Richard

jerry
--
// Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
// Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

Ross Vumbaca

Nov 26, 2006, 9:31:24 PM11/26/06

Richard wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I have a problem Installing the latest Debain m68k 3.1 r3 "Sarge" on my
> A1200
> The problem is that it can't mount my external scsi cdrom drive .
> the installation gets as far as the "Detect and mount CD-Rom" cdrom drive
> and no further.
> I am using a Surf Squirrel PCMCIA scsi card and a 4x external scsi cdrom
> drive

I've never installed it on an A1200 before, but do you know if the your
SCSI controller is actually supported?

Regards,

Ross..

Richard

Nov 27, 2006, 2:15:54 PM11/27/06
Hi Ross

No I don't know if the surf squirrel scsi interface is surpported were would
I find this out

Richard

"Ross Vumbaca" <ros...@au.com.optushome> wrote in message

Jerry Heyman

Nov 27, 2006, 8:50:21 PM11/27/06
on Monday 27 November 2006 02:15 pm, ric...@poweredbyamiga.plus.com
(Richard) wrote:

> Hi Ross
>
> No I don't know if the surf squirrel scsi interface is surpported were
> would I find this out

Start with www.debian.org :-)

Seriously, there's web page that is specifically about the m68k processor

http://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/

also a Wiki pointed to off that webpage -
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianM68kPorting

Additionally there are a few mailing lists you can join (see the ones
listed on the websites). Here are the release notes from the current
stable (sarge - 3.1) release

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/m68k/release-notes/

Ross Vumbaca

Nov 28, 2006, 5:26:02 AM11/28/06

Richard wrote:

> No I don't know if the surf squirrel scsi interface is surpported were would
> I find this out

There is also the linux/m68k FAQ - http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html

On it, there is a section "Amiga Hardware Support". It would appear that
SCSI controllers via the PCMCIA port are not supported. But the internal
IDE port is supported on your A1200.

Regards,

Ross..

Richard

Nov 28, 2006, 3:33:26 PM11/28/06
Thank You for all your help

it looks like i am going to have to try and hook up a cdrom drive to my
internal ide port

Cheers Richard