Need help installing a driver

Tibbar

Mar 28, 2005, 9:12:51 PM3/28/05
I am a new Linux user and desperately need some help installing drivers for:

D-Link PCMCIA Adapter
Model: DFE-670TXD

I have never installed a single driver or application manually, and would
REALLY appreciate any help that people would provide.

I'm using:
Compaq Presario 1210 (Laptop)
80mb of RAM
1.4gb hard drive
Mandrake 7.2 (Freshly installed, no modifications)

I know, my computer is ancient. I've got Xandros 3.1 on my desktop, but so
far I have not needed to install anything.

Unfortunately, the driver was not found, so I looked on the net and found
this one:
pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar

Now, I just need to know how to change the "Unknown" device in the Mandrake
"Device Manager" into a functional device.

As I said, any help will be appreciated, but if you have time, pretend I'm
stupid and need step-by-step instructions for installing applications and
devices.

Thanks to anybody in advance!

Jason
tibb...@yahoo.com

bejomin

Mar 29, 2005, 2:37:29 AM3/29/05

This is probably not terribly comprehensive so you might try 'this'
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.3) link (a snippet
from a howto on installing pcmcia). Generally, paraphrasing the
contents of the howto, you need to build the pcmcia module and load it
into the kernel, i.e. :

(Read to end of post before doing this ;))

1 - mkdir /tmp/pcmcia
2 - mv /location/of/archive/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar
/tmp/pcmcia/pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar
3 - cd /tmp/pcmcia
4 - tar -xvf pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar
5 - cd pcmcia-cs-3.2.8
6 - make config && make all && make install
7 - modprobe pcmcia_core
8 - lsmod (check that the module has actually loaded!)

For all this you will require the your kernel source... check for the
existance of /usr/src/linux before starting or the module will not
compile!

I don't know if this will help but its worth a try, there is probably
more to do. I think the card will be well supported though...

Good luck!

P.S. I found references to an app - 'cardmgr'
(http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_cardmgr.htm) - it manages
pcmcia cards

--
bejomin