File recovery (screwed partition)

arizonag...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2005, 3:05:42 PM3/21/05
My machine is dual boot FC2 and XP. I had an ext3 partition on my
harddisc, not the one my Linux OS is installed on thankfully, which
whilst booted in to XP I managed to start formatting as FAT32(*). I
stopped it quite quickly but of course now it won't mount in Linux and
I get

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda8,
or too many mounted file systems

I had about 10Gb of data on there which I hadn't got around to burning
to DVD yet and it would be nice if I didn't have to download it all
again.

Is there some tool (free, the data isn't important enuogh to spend
money on) I can use to dredge the partition for files that may still
be intact?
I tried fsck on it but it didn't make it mount and for all I know made
it worse :)

cheers,

mike

(*) Normally of course ext3 paritions aren't visible to Windows, I
think in this case I had manage to set the partition type to FAT 32 in
fdisk intending to format it as FAT 32 but then actually did it as
ext3.

Joe Zeff

Mar 21, 2005, 4:47:24 PM3/21/05
On 21 Mar 2005 12:05:42 -0800, arizonag...@gmail.com wrote:

>(*) Normally of course ext3 paritions aren't visible to Windows, I
>think in this case I had manage to set the partition type to FAT 32 in
>fdisk intending to format it as FAT 32 but then actually did it as
>ext3.

The linux version of fdisk may be able to set the partition type back
to ext3. If so, you may be good to go. If not, and you can get ahold
of Partition Magic, it might do the trick.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns

inevercheck...@hotmail.com

Mar 22, 2005, 5:56:42 AM3/22/05

Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2005 12:05:42 -0800, arizonag...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> The linux version of fdisk may be able to set the partition type back
> to ext3. If so, you may be good to go. If not, and you can get
ahold
> of Partition Magic, it might do the trick.

fdisk set the type, didn't make it mount though.
Friend ofmine may have aprtition magic or something similar so I'll
check that out.

cheers,

mike
(same guy, accidently posted from a real email address before. doh.)