Newbie. FC3 2.6.9-1.667 shutdown/reboot lockup

ralph

Mar 13, 2005, 8:15:07 AM3/13/05
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Being very new to Linux I am at a loss and would appreciate any assistance
that you may offer. I have installed FC3 onto my system, dual boot with
Win2K. Everything seems to work OK (I've been lurking here for a few days
and even got the sound working - thank you all) until I either shutdown or
reboot.

I have re-installed many times thinking that I was getting it wrong
(including re-installing FC2 and doing the upgrade option) - ended up using
the install everything" option. Same symptoms.

After install I got the following on either shutdown or reboot;
VFS Cannot open root device "<NULL>" on unknown-block(8,3)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(8,3)

I changed the line in /boot/grub/grub.conf (was kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667
ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet) to read kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro
root=/dev/hda10

The system still hangs on shutdown and reboot but with slightly different
symptoms.

On shutdown I get the following (**** denotes items in the same location in
both dumps);
Process halt (pid: 3744, threadinfo=23c5c000 task=23c8b8b0)
Stack: {I get lotsa numbers here}
Call Trace:
device_shutdown+0x55/0x72 ****
sys_reboot+0x21e/0x51f ****
activate_task+0x53/0x5f
signal_wake_up+0x18/0x19
__group_send_sig_info+0x72/0x76
kill_proc_info+0x23/0x26
sys_kill+0x4b/0x50
destroy_inode+0x36/0x45 ****
dput+0x33/0x4f3 ****
__fput+0xc9/0xee ****
filp_close+0x59/0x5f ****
Code: Bad EIP value.

On re-boot I get (please note that the items in the Call Trace are in
addition to those marked **** above);
Process reboot (pid:3723, threadinfo=250e5000 task=25591760)
Stack: {lotsa numbers}
Call Trace:
rw_vm+0x3f7/0x482
put_user_size+0x29/0x2d
dev_ifconf+0x8f/0xad
udp_ioctl+0x183 (i missed a number here)
dev_ioctl+0x44/0x39e
inet_create+0x166/0x211
Code: Bad EIP Value.
INIT: no more processes at this runlevel.

FC2 shuts down and reboots OK

I have searched, the now book marked site, http://fedoraforum.org site,
http://fedoranews.org, and http://fcp.homelinux.org to no avail. I suspect
that it would help if I was more familiar with the lingo.

This is not a major problem (reset & power switches are such wonderful
things) just inconvenient.

Thanks for any assistance.
Ralph

So far I'm very impressed with Linux - after a steep learning curve I can
ditch the dreaded Win2K...AT LAST! :-)

ralph

Mar 26, 2005, 1:14:21 AM3/26/05
Hiya all,

I fixed the problem by installing SUSE 9.2 - still dunno why Fedora Core 3
won't reboot/shutdown.

Ralph

"ralph" <ralphb...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
> Being very new to Linux I am at a loss and would appreciate any assistance
> that you may offer. I have installed FC3 onto my system, dual boot with
> Win2K. Everything seems to work OK (I've been lurking here for a few days
> and even got the sound working - thank you all) until I either shutdown or
> reboot.
>
> I have re-installed many times thinking that I was getting it wrong
> (including re-installing FC2 and doing the upgrade option) - ended up
using
> the install everything" option. Same symptoms.

<SNIP>