How do I get my KDM back after upgrading and restarting it?

Ant

Feb 13, 2016, 12:50:27 PM2/13/16
Hello.

I just upgraded some libraries, restarted Debian stable (Jessie)'s
kdm.service, but it got stuck in black console with no X. "startx" fails
to launch it. :( How do I relaunch KDM without rebooting my old desktop
computer?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
It's the year of the fire monkey! EeeEee! :P
| |o o| |

William Unruh

Feb 13, 2016, 4:14:36 PM2/13/16
On 2016-02-13, Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just upgraded some libraries, restarted Debian stable (Jessie)'s
> kdm.service, but it got stuck in black console with no X. "startx" fails
> to launch it. :( How do I relaunch KDM without rebooting my old desktop
> computer?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

startx >/tmp/X.log 2>&1
and you can then read the output of startx to see if there are any clues
as to what is going wrong. A black X tells nothing about why.

Note that you might want to try rebooting.

Ant

Feb 13, 2016, 10:49:15 PM2/13/16
> > I just upgraded some libraries, restarted Debian stable (Jessie)'s
> > kdm.service, but it got stuck in black console with no X. "startx" fails
> > to launch it. :( How do I relaunch KDM without rebooting my old desktop
> > computer?
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)

> startx >/tmp/X.log 2>&1
> and you can then read the output of startx to see if there are any clues
> as to what is going wrong. A black X tells nothing about why.

> Note that you might want to try rebooting.

I meant without rebooting the computer. I know a reboot will fix it.

William Unruh

Feb 14, 2016, 12:03:56 AM2/14/16
On 2016-02-14, Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
>> > I just upgraded some libraries, restarted Debian stable (Jessie)'s
>> > kdm.service, but it got stuck in black console with no X. "startx" fails
>> > to launch it. :( How do I relaunch KDM without rebooting my old desktop
>> > computer?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance. :)
>
>> startx >/tmp/X.log 2>&1
>> and you can then read the output of startx to see if there are any clues
>> as to what is going wrong. A black X tells nothing about why.
>
>> Note that you might want to try rebooting.
>
> I meant without rebooting the computer. I know a reboot will fix it.

Why don't you want to fix it?

Anyway, make sure you log out of X ( that nothing X is running. Then try
the startx above and look into the logs to see what is problematic.
Note you want to make sure that you go into runlevel 3 (or whatever
Debian calls it without X)
Then use startx.

Andreas Kohlbach

Feb 14, 2016, 5:05:51 PM2/14/16
Ant wrote on 13. February 2016:

>> > I just upgraded some libraries, restarted Debian stable (Jessie)'s
>> > kdm.service, but it got stuck in black console with no X. "startx" fails
>> > to launch it. :( How do I relaunch KDM without rebooting my old desktop
>> > computer?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance. :)
>
>> startx >/tmp/X.log 2>&1
>> and you can then read the output of startx to see if there are any clues
>> as to what is going wrong. A black X tells nothing about why.
>
>> Note that you might want to try rebooting.
>
> I meant without rebooting the computer. I know a reboot will fix it.

You're not rebooting the computer. Just execute

startx >/tmp/X.log 2>&1

and after it failed have a look into /tmp/X.log to get an idea what's
wrong.
--
Andreas

I use a Unix based operating system, which means I get laid almost as often
as I have to reboot my computer.