How to get Intel M.2 WWAN module working with kernel 5.14.9

Esther Goldberg

Oct 8, 2021, 11:21:48 AM10/8/21
I saw that the 5.14 kernel now includes an Intel-developed driver for Intel M.2 WWAN modules, specifically the XMM 7560, which I have in my laptop. It is supposed to integrate with the WWAN subsystem, which in turn integrates with ModemManager. However, when I installed the 5.14 kernel, I can see a wwan0 interface, but I can't bring it up. I got output basically identical to those here:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-broadband/ModemManager/-/issues/385#note_1087439

ModemManager logs: https://pastebin.com/05gAYJ6m

Thank you!

Vincent Coen

Oct 8, 2021, 4:51:19 PM10/8/21
Hello Esther!
You did not specify the distro you are using BUT the kernel you wish to use
must be the one available from the distro repos you are using otherwise you
will be missing dependencies and the kernel (+modules etc) will be
incomplete. Note that you can get error messages for this in the log
file/s but you will need to look very closely.

Note that in my distro (Mageia v8) the current Linux version is :
server 5.10.70-server-1.mga8 #1 SMP

and Mageia is not cutting edge as they test every thing in more detail over
a period of time for which I am most grateful.

OK, I would be looking for another distro otherwise.

Vincent

Esther Goldberg

Oct 9, 2021, 9:01:24 PM10/9/21

> You did not specify the distro you are using BUT the kernel you wish to use
> must be the one available from the distro repos you are using otherwise you
> will be missing dependencies and the kernel (+modules etc) will be
> incomplete. Note that you can get error messages for this in the log
> file/s but you will need to look very closely.

I am using Ubuntu 21.04, and I got the kernel from the Ubuntu Mainline PPA, but it doesn't include any Ubuntu patches, etc, so I guess that could be causing problems.
Output from lspci shows the device as using the iosm driver, and I get a wwan0 interface, but I guess something else is broken, and I will have to wait until the 22.04 release (next Ubuntu release will still be using the 1.13 kernel) or use a different distro.

By the way, how would I see if a module isn't getting loaded?

Bobbie Sellers

Oct 9, 2021, 9:47:52 PM10/9/21
Or you could shift to a rolling release where we are using 5.14.10
already. It depends on what you need to do if you need
specific Ubuntu programs or are simply used to using that Ubuntu
mess which KDE Plasma 5 can be configured to imitate.

bliss - uses a Pretty Cool Linux Operating System aka pclinuxos
Forum at <https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/>
Iso files free for downloading at <http://www.pclinuxos.com/>
So cool ice cubes are jealous And remember you can try it out
from the live iso files on Flash Disk or DVD.

--

bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Henrik Carlqvist

Oct 10, 2021, 6:12:22 AM10/10/21
On Sat, 09 Oct 2021 18:01:22 -0700, Esther Goldberg wrote:
> By the way, how would I see if a module isn't getting loaded?

You can see which modules has been loaded with "lsmod" or
"cat /proc/modules". You might also get a hint about why a module does
not work as expected by studying the output from "dmesg".

regards Henrik

Esther Goldberg

Oct 16, 2021, 9:58:04 PM10/16/21
> You can see which modules has been loaded with "lsmod" or
> "cat /proc/modules". You might also get a hint about why a module does
> not work as expected by studying the output from "dmesg".

I get the following output from dmesg | grep iosm:

before trying to bring the interface up:
[ 0.957246] iosm 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[ 10.608709] iosm 0000:01:00.0: channel id[4] write failed
[ 14.007286] iosm 0000:01:00.0: channel id[2] write failed

after trying once, this was added:
[ 351.667211] iosm 0000:01:00.0: ch[0] timeout
[ 351.667254] iosm 0000:01:00.0: if_id 0: OPEN_SESSION send failed
[ 351.667270] iosm 0000:01:00.0: cannot connect wwan0 & id 0 to the IPC mem layer

and after trying a second time:
[ 374.481593] iosm 0000:01:00.0: net:0 : refused phase A-CD_READY
[ 374.481600] iosm 0000:01:00.0: cannot connect wwan0 & id 0 to the IPC mem layer

Any ideas on why this would be happening? The correct driver is loaded and ip link lists the interface as using the iosm driver.

Henrik Carlqvist

Oct 17, 2021, 5:15:56 AM10/17/21
On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 18:58:03 -0700, Esther Goldberg wrote:
> Any ideas on why this would be happening? The correct driver is loaded
> and ip link lists the interface as using the iosm driver.

My guess is that the hardware as well as the driver is "work in
progress", your current hardware might resemble but somehow differ from
an earlier version of that hardware. The driver might work with an
earlier version of the hardware. As intel is making both the hardware and
the driver I would guess that they will produce a newer driver working
with your kernel. Initially you might have to download that driver from
intel and build it from source as a kernel module. In the long run it
will probably find its way into the standard kernel.

Usually when this happens the module will not load at all as the newer
version of the hardware presents itself with different ID numbers (PCI ID
or USB ID for vendor and product). In this case the driver seems to
correctly have identified the hardware but then failed which to me looks
like the driver might have some kind of beta status.

regards Henrik