Is Debian still good for GUI stuff in an over 12 yrs. old PC?

Ant

Aug 30, 2021, 7:22:43 PM8/30/21
I'll be mainly doing basic stuff like web browsing, e-mails, newsgroups,
downloads, listening to audio, watching videos, simple SSH2 server, etc.
I currently run updated Debian Jessie v8's KDE which is fine but it
doesn't get updates for years so it's time to move on for a clean/new
Linux installation. Will getting Bullseye v11 be OK?

Setup details:

Intel Core 2 Q8200 (quad-core; default clock speeds; Socket 775 LGA;
Yorkfield) with a Scythe Andy Master 120mm CPU cooler (SCASM-1000),
Antec Sonata Proto mid tower ATX case, MSI P43 NEO3-F (MSI-7514)
motherboard (latest BIOS), two 1 GB of Crucial RAM (Samsung DDR2 800
(PC2-6400; 400 MHz), EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT PCIE video card (512 MB
of VRAM), onboard RealTek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
and Intel High Digital Audio (HDA), 600 watts Sea Sonic S12 PSU, ASUS TV
Tuner Card 880 NTSC (cx23880), Pioneer CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model
DVR-218LBK LabelFlash Support, 3.5" floppy disk drive, Corsair Force
Series F115 Solid-State Disk (SSD) (115 GB; CSSD-F115GB2-BRKT-A), two
internal 3.5" SATA hard disk drives (HDDs) [Seagate ST3320620AS 320 GB
and Western Digital Purple Surveillance 2 TB (6 Gbs; 50 MB cache; WDC
WD20PURX-64P6ZY0)], Sabrent USB2+memory card reader front panel, and an
Intel InBusiness 10/100 (82559) NIC (not connected). Running 64-bit
Debian (Linux; oldoldstable v8/Jessie; kernel v3.16... x86_64) and
updated 64-bit Windows 7 HPE SP1 (installed on 10/22/2016).

Connected to an old (Y2K) Belkin Omni Cube (2-port; PS/2 and VGA) KVM to
share a 23.6" 16:9 1920x1080 pixels ASUS VS247H-P monitor (LED; 2 ms,
9/2014, etc.), a Dell 104-key PS/2 keyboard, and a three-buttons PS/2
optical Logitech mouse.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
Too many issues, allergies, videos, and free huge sized game trials!
| |o o| |

Roger Blake

Aug 30, 2021, 8:14:47 PM8/30/21
On 2021-08-30, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> I'll be mainly doing basic stuff like web browsing, e-mails, newsgroups,
> downloads, listening to audio, watching videos, simple SSH2 server, etc.
> I currently run updated Debian Jessie v8's KDE which is fine but it
> doesn't get updates for years so it's time to move on for a clean/new
> Linux installation. Will getting Bullseye v11 be OK?

I'm running Lubuntu 18.04 on a 2004-vintage Centrino laptop, and Debian 11
with LXDE on an Asus Eee netbook from 2009. These are 32-bit 2GB systems
with small SSDs installed. They're not speed demons but work fine. Don't
expect to play HD video but SD works OK. (Though maybe with your video
card you'll have better results.) I expect you'll do all right running
Debian 11 on your setup. Some additional memory wouldn't be a bad idea.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 30, 2021, 11:39:48 PM8/30/21
On 31/08/2021 00:22, Ant wrote:
> I'll be mainly doing basic stuff like web browsing, e-mails, newsgroups,
> downloads, listening to audio, watching videos, simple SSH2 server, etc.
> I currently run updated Debian Jessie v8's KDE which is fine but it
> doesn't get updates for years so it's time to move on for a clean/new
> Linux installation. Will getting Bullseye v11 be OK?
Try Linux Mint Mate
Verty good multimedia support. Not as dumbed as Cinnamon

Lucas Bergkamp

Marc Haber

Aug 31, 2021, 4:59:27 AM8/31/21
[Please don't crosspost this wildly in the future, and at least set a

a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>Intel Core 2 Q8200 (quad-core; default clock speeds; Socket 775 LGA;
>Yorkfield) with a Scythe Andy Master 120mm CPU cooler (SCASM-1000),
>Antec Sonata Proto mid tower ATX case, MSI P43 NEO3-F (MSI-7514)
>motherboard (latest BIOS), two 1 GB of Crucial RAM (Samsung DDR2 800
>(PC2-6400; 400 MHz),EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT PCIE video card (512 MB
>of VRAM),

Do yourself the favor and upgrade your RAM to 8 GB, if the board
allows that. Be careful not to exceed the remaining value of the
entire machine doing so. And expect that the nVidia driver will not
support the old graphics card any more.

Consider ditching the entire machine and replacing it with a more
recent, probably used, box.

Greetings
Marc
Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " |

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 31, 2021, 9:19:29 AM8/31/21
Am 31.08.21 um 05:39 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
> On 31/08/2021 00:22, Ant wrote:
>> I'll be mainly doing basic stuff like web browsing, e-mails, newsgroups,
>> downloads, listening to audio, watching videos, simple SSH2 server, etc.
>> I currently run updated Debian Jessie v8's KDE which is fine but it
>> doesn't get updates for years so it's time to move on for a clean/new
>> Linux installation. Will getting Bullseye v11 be OK?
> Try Linux Mint Mate
> Verty good multimedia support. Not as dumbed as Cinnamon

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=290

Xfce should be even lighter on the system. Also good multimedia-support.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 31, 2021, 9:34:29 AM8/31/21
Agreed, but if he can add some RAM. I feel Mate is a better "User
Experience"

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 31, 2021, 10:16:59 AM8/31/21
Am 31.08.21 um 15:34 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
> On 31/08/2021 14:19, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=290
>>
>> Xfce should be even lighter on the system. Also good multimedia-support.
>>

> Agreed, but if he can add some RAM. I feel Mate is a better "User
> Experience"

Really? I think that is a matter of taste. I always worked with Cinnamon
on rather powerful machines. That is as good as a Mac OS-machine. This
posting is written on a MacBook Air with a Cinnamon installed as sole OS.

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 31, 2021, 10:47:18 AM8/31/21
On 31/08/2021 15:16, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 31.08.21 um 15:34 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
>> On 31/08/2021 14:19, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>>> https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=290
>>>
>>> Xfce should be even lighter on the system. Also good multimedia-support.
>>>

>> Agreed, but if he can add some RAM. I feel Mate is a better "User
>> Experience"
>
> Really? I think that is a matter of taste. I always worked with Cinnamon
> on rather powerful machines. That is as good as a Mac OS-machine.

In my book that is not really an upward step from Windows ;-)

--
“Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,”

– Ludwig von Mises

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 31, 2021, 12:54:04 PM8/31/21
Am 31.08.21 um 16:47 schrieb The Natural Philosopher:
> On 31/08/2021 15:16, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Really? I think that is a matter of taste. I always worked with Cinnamon
>> on rather powerful machines. That is as good as a Mac OS-machine.
>
> In my book that is not really an upward step from Windows ;-)

*Really*?!
Everything is an improvement over Windows 1X, IMHO.
MacOS is more sophisticated as far as the look is concerned but it is a
digital prison.

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 31, 2021, 12:59:27 PM8/31/21
In a nutshell yes. My desktop is set up with a MAC look, but that's all

--
“It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on

Charlie Gibbs

Sep 1, 2021, 12:21:53 AM9/1/21
On the rare occasions that I use my wife's Mac, I feel that
I'm not so much using it as it is using me. See my .sig...

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.

TJ

Sep 14, 2021, 10:43:00 PM9/14/21
Hello, Ant.

I can't answer your question, because I have zero experience with
Debian. I use Mageia Linux, and have since its inception a decade ago,
and I can say that your hardware would work just fine with Mageia 8.

I would, however, echo some of the advice you've been given here to get
the best you can out of Mageia. You should add some RAM - bring it up to
4GB at least, and 8 would be better. With just 2GB you are likely to be
using swap if you try to do more than one thing at a time, and that will
hurt performance, even with an ssd.

I'd also replace the Nvidia card with one from AMD, because Nvidia has
become notorious for not supporting their older cards with proprietary
drivers. While your current card may work OK with the open source
nouveau driver, it also may not. I dumped my last Nvidia card two years
ago because of this. The open source AMD drivers are much more capable
in my experience.

Ebay is an excellent place to look for lightly used older hardware
upgrades - it is where most of my hardware has come from.

I have a PC, on loan to my brother, with a 13 year old Intel DQ45CB
motherboard, a Core 2 Duo E8400 processor, 8GB of RAM, AMD HD 8570
video, and an ssd drive. He connects to the Internet with an Atheros
AR9485 PCIe card. He is running Mageia 8 Linux with the Plasma DE, with
no troubles at all. The video card uses the AMDGPU driver, but actually,
for anything he's likely to do the onboard Intel graphics would be
perfectly adequate.

I also have an 18 year old Dell Inspiron 5100 that is successfully
running Mageia 8 Linux. It has a 32-bit P4 processor, 2GB of RAM (the
max for the hardware), downright ancient Radeon RV200 graphics, and an
old Atheros wifi card. It is running 32-bit Mageia Xfce, currently using
the 5.10.62 kernel. It's definitely no speed demon, but it works.

TJ

Charlie Gibbs

Sep 16, 2021, 4:02:14 AM9/16/21
On 2021-09-15, TJ <T...@noneofyour.business> wrote:

> I'd also replace the Nvidia card with one from AMD, because Nvidia has
> become notorious for not supporting their older cards with proprietary
> drivers. While your current card may work OK with the open source
> nouveau driver, it also may not. I dumped my last Nvidia card two years
> ago because of this. The open source AMD drivers are much more capable
> in my experience.

I've had good results with nVidia cards. I have older ones (e.g.
GeForce 630) in two of my boxes, and they run just fine with the
proprietary drivers. You can get versions for older cards like
mine from the Debian site.

I've had trouble with nouveau - one of my boxes was locking up
from time to time, and it straightened out when I replaced nouveau
with the proprietary drivers. This was a few years ago - perhaps
nouveau is working better now.

I tried borrowing an ATI video card from a friend, and couldn't
get it to work at all.

I'm running Debian Buster on my machines.

I'm writing this message on a Lenovo T410 laptop. I can't find
an exact release date for it, but it came with Windows 7 and I've
found reviews from 2010. So it might not be over 12 years old yet,
but it's getting close - and although I'm not doing high-powered
graphics on it, it does manage fairly well with Zoom and Skype.

--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | They don't understand Microsoft
\ / <cgi...@kltpzyxm.invalid> | has stolen their car and parked