? Nakamichi CD-Rom Changer

str...@orgc.tu-graz.ac.at

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98

We are thinking about integrating a Nakamichi MJ-5.16si
(SCSI) CD-Rom Changer into our Server running on LINUX . Does anybody
know were to get a driver ? Would be very happy to get some advice in
this matter.

Thanks a lot

Ulrike Strauss

Mark Butler

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
str...@orgc.tu-graz.ac.at wrote:

> We are thinking about integrating a Nakamichi MJ-5.16si
> (SCSI) CD-Rom Changer into our Server running on LINUX . Does anybody
> know were to get a driver ? Would be very happy to get some advice in
> this matter.

If you've compiled your kernel and enabled the multiple lun option
(sorry, don't remember the exact label) in the scsi driver section
then you've already got the driver installed.

As the machine boots you should see a message as the scsi subsystem
IDs each lun. Mount each device to a directory, then change to that
directory. If the appropriate slot isn't already in the reader, the
mechanism will change it out and put the right one in the reader,
without manual intervention. Works well over NFS as well.

Mark

"These opinions are mine and not my employer's"

Ulrike Strauss

Aug 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/21/98

str...@orgc.tu-graz.ac.at wrote:

> We are thinking about integrating a Nakamichi MJ-5.16si
> (SCSI) CD-Rom Changer into our Server running on LINUX . Does anybody
> know were to get a driver ? Would be very happy to get some advice in
> this matter.
>

> Thanks a lot
>
> Ulrike Strauss

Thanks a lot for your advice!
Seems that we get along with it now!

rsim...@ewrcsdra.cut_this_out.demon.co.uk

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
: We are thinking about integrating a Nakamichi MJ-5.16si

: (SCSI) CD-Rom Changer into our Server running on LINUX . Does anybody
: know were to get a driver ? Would be very happy to get some advice in
: this matter.

Adding this line to drivers/scsi/scsi.c below the similar entry for the
other Nakamichi drive will improve performance when two processes each want
to access different discs at the same time.

{"NAKAMICH","MJ-5.16S","*", BLIST_FORCELUN | BLIST_SINGLELUN},

Note however that this is not a complete solution to the problem of changer
thrashing. I understand that this will be included in 2.0.36.

Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
rsim...@ewrcsdra.demon.co.uk

Steve Snyder

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
In <6vojs6...@ewrcsdra.demon.co.uk>, rsim...@ewrcsdra.Cut_This_Out.demon.co.uk writes:
>: We are thinking about integrating a Nakamichi MJ-5.16si
>: (SCSI) CD-Rom Changer into our Server running on LINUX . Does anybody
>: know were to get a driver ? Would be very happy to get some advice in
>: this matter.
>
>Adding this line to drivers/scsi/scsi.c below the similar entry for the
>other Nakamichi drive will improve performance when two processes each want
>to access different discs at the same time.
>
>{"NAKAMICH","MJ-5.16S","*", BLIST_FORCELUN | BLIST_SINGLELUN},
>
>Note however that this is not a complete solution to the problem of changer
>thrashing. I understand that this will be included in 2.0.36.

Is there an analogous configuration for the ATA version of the Nakamichi
MJ-5.16?

***** Steve Snyder *****

rsim...@ewrcsdra.cut_this_out.demon.co.uk

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Steve Snyder <ssn...@indy.net> wrote:
:>Adding this line to drivers/scsi/scsi.c below the similar entry for the

:>other Nakamichi drive will improve performance when two processes each want
:>to access different discs at the same time.
:>
:>{"NAKAMICH","MJ-5.16S","*", BLIST_FORCELUN | BLIST_SINGLELUN},
:>
:>Note however that this is not a complete solution to the problem of changer
:>thrashing. I understand that this will be included in 2.0.36.

: Is there an analogous configuration for the ATA version of the Nakamichi
: MJ-5.16?

No, ATA changers are not as well supported under Linux.

See my replies to other similar threads for more details (you should find
them if you search for my name via deja-news).