I've been given an ASP website. How do I host it on Linux ?

Mark Hobley

Apr 9, 2004, 3:12:40 PM4/9/04
A friend of mine is helping to develop a website for me.

He is a windows user, and has created the website using ASP

How do I go about getting it running on my Linux machine ?

I only want to use open source tools. I don't want to splash out any
cash at this stage, in case it doesn't work at the end.

I guess that I need Apache web server.

I need to know what other stuff I'm going to need.

Sybren Stuvel

Apr 9, 2004, 4:51:14 PM4/9/04
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.]
Mark Hobley enlightened us with:

> A friend of mine is helping to develop a website for me. He is a
> windows user, and has created the website using ASP

Why is that? ASP sucks bigtime! And I know it, because I had to build an
ASP website too.

> How do I go about getting it running on my Linux machine ?

Kick your friend in the head and get him to learn PHP.

Sybren

Linønut

Apr 9, 2004, 8:48:49 PM4/9/04
Error BR-549: MS DRM 1.0 rejects the following post from Mark Hobley:

Try searching on "asp to php converter". Here's one:

http://asp2php.naken.cc/

I imagine these are fairly easy to write to do most of the work, using
Perl. Just imagining, though.

--
Trust your data to a Linux server or desktop!

Jeff Schwab

Apr 9, 2004, 9:58:42 PM4/9/04

In addition to the Apache web server, get a JSP translator and a servlet
engine. If you want to keep it in the Apache family, try Tomcat.
Translate the ASP to JSP.

Btw, I've removed comp.os.linux.system from this thread, since this
really isn't a system issue.