LILO-LITE - New Project - Developers Wanted

Mark Hobley

Nov 5, 2003, 1:37:02 PM11/5/03
I intend to reduce the size of the lilo source code, which will result
in a new project, currently called lilo-lite.

I am looking for developers, who are interested in contributing to
this project on a voluntary basis.

The project is open source.

I must admit that this will be my first linux project ever, so I
really don't know what I am doing.

The lilo code, upon which lilo-lite will be based is not that easy on
the eyes, so I am just guessing which bits to snip.

I currently do not have any facility to share the code, other than
via, email, ftp, or via a web browser.

My linux systems are minimalist and customized, so it is not at this
time easy for me to add new facilities on the fly.

The project status at this time, is as follows:

I've commented out a few lines from bsect.c, and the application is
now broken.

I have created a developer website for this, but it does not contain
anything interesting at this time.

http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/projects/lilolite/index.html

I look forward to hearing from anyone brave enough to join me on this
adventure.

Email me: markhobley at hotpop dot com

Måns Rullgård

Nov 5, 2003, 1:35:25 PM11/5/03
markh...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:

> I intend to reduce the size of the lilo source code, which will result
> in a new project, currently called lilo-lite.

May I ask why? I'm not saying you shouldn't be doing it, but do you
have any specific reasons for stripping it down?

--
Måns Rullgård
m...@kth.se

JohnInSD At san DOT rr dot COM

Nov 6, 2003, 7:22:46 PM11/6/03
Host the project at sourceforge.net.

As the current maintainer of LILO, I would ask that you choose a different
name, so there is no confusion with the existing LILO.

Also, be aware of the licensing issues in using source code from the LILO
project. The license is very broad, and meeting the licensing requirements
should not be very difficult.

--John

Gillian Hobley

Nov 7, 2003, 6:18:27 PM11/7/03
yeah fuck it mark. move on. downgrading lilo is a complete waste of
time... what is the point of doing that when people have succesfully
used lilo to boot. that is just a pain in the ass thing to waste time
on.

jon {bro}

Christopher Browne

Nov 7, 2003, 6:38:43 PM11/7/03
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing whenmar...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley)wrote:

> I intend to reduce the size of the lilo source code, which will result
> in a new project, currently called lilo-lite.

And what is supposed to be the merit of this?

LILO is pretty small, and it is common enough for people to want MORE
functionality, which pushes them towards GRUB. I'm not sure why
_less_ should be considered preferable here...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','ntlug.org').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/emacs.html