what is "Exec Format Error. Wrong Architecture" ?

Peter Hurd

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Hello World,

Tried upgrading from 1.3.20 to 1.3.84 which was visibly faster and I
could get decent volume out of the soundcard, at last. However, many
apps would not work and failed with the message

Exec Format Error. Wrong Architecture

What gives, did I configure wrong, and how to I go about tracking this
down? I remained all ELF, is there some 486 vs. pentium architecture
problem here?

Thanks for any hints,
Cheers,

--
Pete Hurd pe...@zool.su.se
Zoologiska Institutionen Ph# 46-8-16-40-37

Peter Hurd

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Peter Hurd (ph...@tele.su.se) wrote:

: Exec Format Error. Wrong Architecture

well, configuring a.out support works. *cringe* I'd cancel the post
if I could figure out how...

Ulrich Teichert

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
In <4kd6ok$s...@news.kth.se> ph...@tele.su.se (Peter Hurd) writes:

>Hello World,

>Tried upgrading from 1.3.20 to 1.3.84 which was visibly faster and I
>could get decent volume out of the soundcard, at last. However, many
>apps would not work and failed with the message

>Exec Format Error. Wrong Architecture

>What gives, did I configure wrong, and how to I go about tracking this

>down? I remained all ELF, is there some 486 vs. pentium architecture
>problem here?

This looks like some of your apps are still in a.out format.
Have you a.out support compiled in the new kernel?

Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert e-mail: kry...@netzservice.de
Stormweg 24 listening to: 45 Jahre (Chaos Z)

Bob Hauck

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
In article <4kdsm2$2...@news.kth.se>,

ph...@tele.su.se (Peter Hurd) writes:
>Peter Hurd (ph...@tele.su.se) wrote:
>
>: Exec Format Error. Wrong Architecture
>
>well, configuring a.out support works. *cringe* I'd cancel the post
>if I could figure out how...

From your header:

You can cancel your own posts in TIN with 'D' (that's capital D).
It won't let you cancel other people's posts though, and it won't
let you cancel your own either if your machine's name and your
current user name don't match the one in the header for some reason.

---
Bob Hauck bo...@wasatch.com
Wasatch Communications Group http://www.wasatch.com