Where can I get liby.a?

Shekhar Patkar

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

I have a Red Hat 5.1 system that is missing liby.a required for linking
code obtained
from bison or yacc. Is there a substitute (I couldn't find one), or
where can I obtain
the library?

Thanks,
Shekhar
(she...@bytekinc.com)

David Z. Maze

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
Shekhar Patkar <she...@bytekinc.com> writes:
Shekhar> I have a Red Hat 5.1 system that is missing liby.a required
Shekhar> for linking code obtained from bison or yacc. Is there a
Shekhar> substitute (I couldn't find one), or where can I obtain the
Shekhar> library?

No, and you can't. bison doesn't need an external library; you can
remove the -ly switch from your link line safely.

--
_____________________________
/ \ "Dad was reading a book called
| David Maze | _Schroedinger's Kittens_. Asexual
| dm...@mit.edu | reproduction? Only one cat is in the box."
| http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/ | -- Abra Mitchell
\_____________________________/

Ulrich Teichert

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
In <35FFDF0B...@bytekinc.com> Shekhar Patkar <she...@bytekinc.com> writes:

>Hi,

Hi!

>I have a Red Hat 5.1 system that is missing liby.a required for linking
>code obtained
>from bison or yacc. Is there a substitute (I couldn't find one), or
>where can I obtain
>the library?

bison doesn't need a library to link the compiled code against.
Just remove the -ly from your makefile if you feed your *.y file
in bison.
If you compile old generated code from another yacc on linux, you
probably could use the library of byacc (I think it uses one).

HTH,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: kry...@netzservice.de
Stormweg 24 |listening to: This Is Just A Punk Rock Song (Bad

Peter Samuelson

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
[Ulrich Teichert <kry...@netzservice.de>]

> bison doesn't need a library to link the compiled code against. Just
> remove the -ly from your makefile if you feed your *.y file in bison.
> If you compile old generated code from another yacc on linux, you
> probably could use the library of byacc (I think it uses one).

I'm not a big yacc user, but isn't liby just a skeletal main() function
that calls the yacc functions on your standard input? I.e. it's useful
only for writing a simple program entirely in yacc. As I understand it
liby is not actually needed for most programs.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>