libiostream.so fails on me even on hello world

Lutz Behnke

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
to l...@maz-hh.de
hello linuxers,

I have a little problem running the most simple of
c++-programms. a call to 'cout' gives me a SEGFAULT.

gdb comes back with the following:
0x0 in ?? ()
in the line of the first call to cout::operator<<()
(line 4 in the prg below)

I am running the following system:
Linux 1.3.45
libc.so.5.2.16
libiostream.so.26.2.5

I first saw this in a real program of mine so I tested helloWorld.cc
in order to see wether the mistake is mine or the libs, but it apeared
in helloWorld as well as in my prg.

I tried to compile helloWorld.cc with
gcc -g helloWorld.cc -liostream
as well as
gcc -g helloWorld.cc /usr/lib/libiostream.a

each compiled fine, but execuing a.out gave the same SEGFAULT each time.

Could you help me see if this is a problem of mine alone or a bug in the
iostream-lib
Please dont't flame too bright in case I am just unable to write decent
c++ =B-)

mfg lutz
the programm that I am talking about is the following:

1: #include <iostream.h>
2: main (int argc, char* argv[])
3: {
4: cout<<"Hello World"<<endl;
5: cout<<argc<<endl;
6: cout<<argv[0]<<endl;
7: }

Lutz Behnke, l...@maz-hh.de, behn...@informatik.fh.hamburg.de

Wolfram Gloger

Dec 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/30/95
Lutz Behnke <l...@maz-hh.de> writes:

[wrong newsgroup, but anyway...]

>I have a little problem running the most simple of
>c++-programms. a call to 'cout' gives me a SEGFAULT.

> Linux 1.3.45
> libc.so.5.2.16
> libiostream.so.26.2.5

libiostream is no longer needed as of libc 5.2.16. Just get
libg++-2.7.0.2 and link with -lstdc++ rather than -liostream.

Regards,
Wolfram.