Wangtek 5099 programming info?

Markus Klama

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

Does anyone have a description available about how to program a Wangte
5099 drive? Or, does anyone know where I can obtain such a description
I want to modify the Linux tape driver which already supports the 5150
so that it supports the 5099, too.

Any hints are appreciated. Thank you.

--
Markus Klama
10011...@compuserve.com

olav woelfelschneider

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

Markus Klama (10011...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Does anyone have a description available about how to program a Wangte

: 5099 drive? Or, does anyone know where I can obtain such a description
: I want to modify the Linux tape driver which already supports the 5150
: so that it supports the 5099, too.

Weird... don't tell my 5099 it's not supported or it will stop working...

What's the problem you've got, maybe you've set the driver up incorrectly?

--
Olav "Mac" Wölfelschneider wo...@rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de

Hey, I can't marry her! She's my friend! (Simba)

Hakan Lennestal

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

Markus Klama (10011...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Does anyone have a description available about how to program a Wangte
: 5099 drive? Or, does anyone know where I can obtain such a description
: I want to modify the Linux tape driver which already supports the 5150
: so that it supports the 5099, too.

: Any hints are appreciated. Thank you.

: --
: Markus Klama
: 10011...@compuserve.com

Hmmm. Isn't the 5150 a scsi drive and the 5099 a Qic-24 drive ?
The 5099 was however often assembled together with a Emulex
MT01 Qic-24-to-scsi card. If your setup is one of those, there
should not be any problems setting it up under Linux.

/Håkan

Keith Smith

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

In article <52ll09$m...@rs18.hrz.th-darmstadt.de>,

olav woelfelschneider <wo...@rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>Markus Klama (10011...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
>: Does anyone have a description available about how to program a Wangte
>: 5099 drive? Or, does anyone know where I can obtain such a description
>: I want to modify the Linux tape driver which already supports the 5150
>: so that it supports the 5099, too.
>
>Weird... don't tell my 5099 it's not supported or it will stop working...
>
>What's the problem you've got, maybe you've set the driver up incorrectly?

5099 I _know_ is QIC-36, I thought the 5150 was SCSI. That may have
something to do with it. What kind of PC-36 Controller are we using on
the 5099? I know the Linux driver supports the Archive SC-499 and
Wangtek EV-83 just peachy.

Archive/Wangtek had some QIC-02 Interface drives with all the logic on
the drive also. These used a much simpler PC-02 interface board,
basically a bus buffer, and I/O decoder along the lines of an IDE
interface. You may be trying to use a QIC-02 controller on a drive that
needs PC-36.
--
Keith Smith <ke...@ksmith.com> Free Usenet News/Newsfeeds
Digital Designs (910) 423-7389/7391 [V.34]

Bernd Richter

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96

hl...@lu.erisoft.se (Hakan Lennestal) wrote:
>Hmmm. Isn't the 5150 a scsi drive and the 5099 a Qic-24 drive ?
Nope, there had been both types SCSI and QIC of the 5150 been in the
market.

I have had a 5150/QIC-120 and QIC-150 with a PC-02 interface card and
(a long time) before I have had a 5099/QIC-24 with a PC-36 interface
card.

--
Greetings from Hannover,Germany
Bernd Richter -> ric...@mail.h.provi.de

Simon P Allen

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

> Hmmm. Isn't the 5150 a scsi drive and the 5099 a Qic-24 drive ?

No.

Piercarlo Grandi

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

>>> "wosch" == olav woelfelschneider
>>> <wo...@rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de> writes:

wosch> Markus Klama (10011...@CompuServe.COM) wrote:

Klama> Does anyone have a description available about how to program a
Klama> Wangte 5099 drive? Or, does anyone know where I can obtain such a
Klama> description I want to modify the Linux tape driver which already
Klama> supports the 5150 so that it supports the 5099, too.

wosch> Weird... don't tell my 5099 it's not supported or it will stop
wosch> working...

wosch> What's the problem you've got, maybe you've set the driver up
wosch> incorrectly?

Almost certainly: the 5099 was sold with one of two slightly different
controller cards, and when compiling the Linux "qt" driver one must set
the right parameter...Consider the following lines at the beginning of
the driver's source:

# if ((QIC02_TAPE_IFC!=WANGTEK) && (QIC02_TAPE_IFC!=ARCHIVE) &&
# (QIC02_TAPE_IFC!=MOUNTAIN))
# error No valid interface card specified
# endif
#endif

(WANGTEK is synonymous with EVEREX). Almost certainly the Klama's driver
has been compiled for the wrong card type, probably ARCHIVE, while you
compiled it for the right card type.