Seeking better debugger than gdb/ddd

Spam Averse

Nov 2, 2003, 11:40:49 AM11/2/03
Are there any x86 debuggers for Linux that are better than gdb/ddd?

I really don't like these and would be willing to pay for someing better.

Thanks.

--
Please respond to the group, not by e-mail.

Tauno Voipio

Nov 2, 2003, 2:33:51 PM11/2/03

"Spam Averse" <aah...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It would help if you told which ways The Better One would be different from
GDB / DDD.

Did you notice that DDD is not tied to GDB - it's able to front-end other
debuggers also.

Please try the other back-ends and compare to GDB to split the improvement
requests between the front-end (DDD) and back-end (GDB).

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio @ iki fi

Paul Pluzhnikov

Nov 2, 2003, 7:47:01 PM11/2/03
Spam Averse <aah...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Are there any x86 debuggers for Linux that are better than gdb/ddd?

TotalView from Etnus (www.etnus.com) is the only other debugger
for Linux/x86 I know about. Whether it is better I do not know.

Cheers,

Alastair

Nov 4, 2003, 6:34:34 PM11/4/03
Tauno Voipio <tauno....@iki.fi.NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> "Spam Averse" <aah...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Are there any x86 debuggers for Linux that are better than gdb/ddd?
>>
>> I really don't like these and would be willing to pay for someing better.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Please respond to the group, not by e-mail.
>
> It would help if you told which ways The Better One would be different from
> GDB / DDD.

GDB is a fine debugger and I am full of praise for all the people
responsible. Truely amazing work. Unfortunately, it's really the only
debugger around for Linux (Totalview is OK, but has problems too). The
main problem I (we) have with GDB is it doesn't work well with C++,
particularly namespaces. I hate to say it, but DDD, although good, is
no match for something like MSDEV's debugger - in fact, its a real
drawback in trying to get the NT developer using Linux ...

Cheers,

--
Alastair Sherringham
http://www.calliope.demon.co.uk

Joe Pfeiffer

Nov 4, 2003, 7:27:17 PM11/4/03
Alastair <alas...@calliope.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Tauno Voipio <tauno....@iki.fi.NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > "Spam Averse" <aah...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Are there any x86 debuggers for Linux that are better than gdb/ddd?
> >>
> >> I really don't like these and would be willing to pay for someing better.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Please respond to the group, not by e-mail.
> >
> > It would help if you told which ways The Better One would be different from
> > GDB / DDD.
>
> GDB is a fine debugger and I am full of praise for all the people
> responsible. Truely amazing work. Unfortunately, it's really the only
> debugger around for Linux (Totalview is OK, but has problems too). The
> main problem I (we) have with GDB is it doesn't work well with C++,
> particularly namespaces. I hate to say it, but DDD, although good, is
> no match for something like MSDEV's debugger - in fact, its a real
> drawback in trying to get the NT developer using Linux ...

What problems does gdb have with namespaces? It seems to work fine
for me.
Southwestern NM Regional Science and Engr Fair: http://www.nmsu.edu/~scifair

James Cownie

Nov 5, 2003, 4:20:40 AM11/5/03
Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> Alastair <alas...@calliope.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> What problems does gdb have with namespaces? It seems to work fine
> for me.

Since GCC 3.x (through 3.3.2) doesn't emit _any_ DWARF debug information
about namespaces; the only comment about namespaces in dwarf2out.c is

/* Ignore namespaces for the moment. */
if (containing_scope && TREE_CODE (containing_scope) == NAMESPACE_DECL)
containing_scope = NULL_TREE;

I'm at a loss to know how _any_ debugger can possibly handle
namespaces properly with the output from that compiler.

If namespaces are being handled properly I guess you must be using
a different compiler.

--
-- Jim

James Cownie <jco...@etnus.com>
Etnus, LLC. +44 117 9071438
http://www.etnus.com

James Cownie

Nov 5, 2003, 4:22:40 AM11/5/03

>>"Spam Averse" <aah...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Are there any x86 debuggers for Linux that are better than gdb/ddd?
>>>
>>>I really don't like these and would be willing to pay for someing better.
>>>
>>>Thanks.

You should certainly try our TotalView debugger.

You can download a copy and a demo license from www.etnus.com

(I get paid to code on TotalView, so won't say more).

Thomas Richter

Nov 5, 2003, 8:04:15 AM11/5/03

> Since GCC 3.x (through 3.3.2) doesn't emit _any_ DWARF debug information
> about namespaces; the only comment about namespaces in dwarf2out.c is

> /* Ignore namespaces for the moment. */
> if (containing_scope && TREE_CODE (containing_scope) == NAMESPACE_DECL)
> containing_scope = NULL_TREE;

> I'm at a loss to know how _any_ debugger can possibly handle
> namespaces properly with the output from that compiler.

> If namespaces are being handled properly I guess you must be using
> a different compiler.

Did you try to contact the gcc folks about this problem? If not, could
you please collect all the necessary details (thus, I can post this
problem to the gcc development people myself in case you don't want to)?

I'm quite anoyed about the lack of namespacing in gdb for quite a while
as I'm writing a lot of C++ code and would like to see it working;
currently, debugging C++ code is quite painful, but I was never aware
where the problem really lies. Aparently, g++ itself is part of the
problem (at least, if I understand your statement correctly).

So long,
Thomas

Thomas Richter

Nov 5, 2003, 8:06:36 AM11/5/03

> You should certainly try our TotalView debugger.

> You can download a copy and a demo license from www.etnus.com

How well does it integrate g++/namespacing into debugging? Given
the claim of the above poster, proper support of namespaces seems
rather impossible given the current g++ architecture, but in case
that's wrong and your debugger does support C++ debugging correctly,
I'd like to try it. I need a *working* debugger for C++, and gdb
is, as stated, not sufficient.

So long,
Thomas

dto...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2018, 1:45:38 AM10/11/18
I like the data graph of ddd. Very useful to create drawings of data structures.

Is there a way to annotate the connecting arrows? Or add comments to the graph?

I know I could save as ps and use other software, but I mean right in ddd.

Is there another listserve to ask questions like this?