FAQ -- Linux Journal

Linux Journal

Aug 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/2/99
CC

LINUX JOURNAL FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
August 1, 1999

This FAQ contains information about Linux Journal (LJ), the
magazine covering the Linux Community. Topics covered include:
general/history - content - regular columns - features -
conferences - subscriptions - writing for LJ - advertising in
LJ - Linux-related product releases - distributors/retailers -
misc - if all else fails ... - subscription order form.

General/History
Our mission is to serve the Linux community and to promote the
use of Linux worldwide. Although most of our initial subscribers
have come from the Internet, we expect that many of our future
readers will find LJ as their initial source of information on
Linux, i.e. LJ provides a way for people to find hardware,
software, and help both in getting started and in staying on the
cutting edge. LJ's content is a benefit to the reader by
providing information, to the Linux newsgroups by reducing
"novice" questions and to advertisers by providing them with a
way to reach potential new users.

Phil Hughes came up with the idea for producing Linux Journal in
early 1993. He is the founder, first Editor and current publisher
of the magazine. In late February, 1994 the first issue was
mailed. The magazine has received a very positive response--both
on the Internet and elsewhere. Our current Editor is Marjorie
Richardson, ljed...@ssc.com.

Issue #64, our August issue is on the stands now.
Issue #65, our September issue, will be released in mid-August.

Linux Journal is published by Specialized Systems Consultants
(SSC), publisher of Unix and C Pocket References since 1983. For
additional information, including the table of contents for all
our past issues and selected articles, look on the SSC web site:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/.

Linux Gazette
On August 1, 1996, Linux Journal took over the publication of
Linux Gazette from John Fisk. We have always felt that Linux
Gazette fills a niche that LJ can not. Being online the Gazette
can be more timely and can address topics that would not be cost-
effective in print media. Our plans are to continue the
electronic version of the Gazette at
http://www.linuxgazette.com/, plus we will include a Gazette
section in Linux Journal for selected items. If you have
suggestions for the Gazette or want to contribute an article for
upcoming issues, contact us at gaz...@ssc.com.

Content
Each issue of Linux Journal offers articles that appeal to
newcomers, as well as serious technical articles for long-time
Unix users. Although LJ is Linux-specific, many of the articles
are of interest to users of other Unix platforms and to users of
other freely redistributable software.

Also, for the many business users, there are articles on
commercial uses for Linux. These articles include such things as
documentation of a place/job where Linux is being used
commercially, the technical development of commercial
applications or reviews of commercial products.

Regular columns include:
o Interviews with prominent Linux personalities o Book &
Product Reviews
o Linux Means Business
o Kernel Corner
o WWWsmith
o Linux Gazette
as well as New Products, book and product reviews and Letters to
the Editor.

Featured articles that have appeared in Linux Journal include:
SCEPTRE: Simulation of Nonlinear Electric Circuits by Wolf-
Rainer Novender (Issue 63)
Archaeology and GIS--The Linux Way by R. Joe Brandon, Trevor
Kludt and Markus Neteler (Issue 63)
Scott Draeker and Sam Latinga, Loki Entertainment by Michael J.
Hammel (Issue 64)
Flight Simulators by Roman Melnyk (Issue 64)
Netscape Plug-Ins by Larry Hoff (Issue 65)
Multilink PPP: One Big Virtual WAN Pipe by Paul T. Ammann
(Issue 65)

1999 Conferences:
LinuxWorld Expo San Jose, CA August 9-12, 1999
O'Reilly OS Conference Monterey, CA August 21-24, 1999
USENIX Security Symposium Washington, D.C. August 23-26,
1999
Atlanta Linux Showcase Atlanta, GA October 12-16,
1999
USENIX LISA Seattle, WA November
7-12, 1999
COMDEX Fall Las Vegas, NV November 15-19, 1999
SANS 1999 Securing Linux San Francisco, CA December 15-16,
1999

Subscriptions
To subscribe to Linux Journal and receive a free issue visit
our web site,
http://www.linuxjournal.com/ or use the subscription order
form included at the end of this FAQ.

Subscriptions are available internationally through SSC
directly and in specific regions through our international
distributors. Magazines are mailed internationally through a
"surface air lift" service which delivers the magazines
quickly to the countries of destination where local mail
will be handled by surface delivery.

Subscriptions within the US are shipped via second class
mail.

Subscription rates (in US dollars) are as follows:
$22/1 year U.S., $27USD/1 year Canada, $32USD/1 year Foreign
$39/2 years U.S., $49USD/2 years Canada, $54USD/2 years Foreign

While supplies last, back issues are available for $6 ($8
airmail) for one back issue, $5 ($7 airmail) for additional
issues on the same order.

Subscriptions start with the next issue of Linux Journal.

Linux Journal, P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155-0549 FAX:
+1 206 297-7515, Phone: +1 206 297-7514 or +1 888 66-LINUX
E-mail: su...@ssc.com

We accept payment by credit card (American Express, Visa and
MasterCard). Since the Internet is not a secure network,
you may not wish to send credit card numbers via e-mail,
unless encrypted (finger in...@ssc.com for our public key),
or by a secure SSL web connection. We are now using the
Stronghold secure web server, and we offer an on-line order
form at https://www.linuxjournal.com/subformssl.html that
uses a medium-grade encryption key for your privacy. We
also accept checks in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. bank. For
certain other foreign currency (specified by our bank), we
will accept a check drawn on a foreign bank in their native
currency: e.g. a check drawn on a German bank issued in
German marks.

Writing for Linux Journal
Articles in Linux Journal cover the range from "how do I get
started" to kernel hacking, always balanced to give both the
newcomer and the long-term Linux users the maximum
enjoyment. There is an author guide and a list of potential
articles on our web site:
http:/www.linuxjournal.com/wanted.html.

If you have an idea for an article you would like to write
for LJ or have a lead about a new commercial use, contact
our editor via e-mail at ljed...@ssc.com, or by U.S. mail
to Editor, Linux Journal, P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA
98155-0549.

Advertising in Linux Journal
Linux Journal is supported by a combination of subscription
and advertising revenue. Rates are competitive for the
number of readers we reach, and our specific target audience
matches the needs of those who have products targeted to the
Linux market. If you are interested, request a media kit
and rate card from one our sales representatives.
Advertising, Linux Journal,P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155-0549
FAX: +1 206-782-7191, Phone: +1 206-782-7733 E-mail: a...@ssc.com

Linux-related Product Releases
If you have a new Linux product, send us a press release,
and we will announce it in our New Products column.
Send new product information to:
New Products, Linux Journal, P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155-0549
E-mail: newpr...@ssc.com

Also, we have computer experts who do product reviews on our
staff. If you would like us to review your product, please
let us know at ljed...@ssc.com when a review copy of your
product is available.

Distributors/Retailers
Linux Journal is distributed both directly to resellers and
through distributors. 30,000 copies are distributed on
newsstands. International distribution is handled by
Worldwide Media Services, Inc. National distribution is
handled by International Periodical Distributors, Ingram
Periodicals, Small Changes and SSC. If you are aware of a
store that should carry LJ, you can suggest they contact SSC
at 206-782-7733 about reselling or send us e-mail at
di...@ssc.com with their contact information. If you include
your postal address, we will send you a free copy of Linux
Journal in the next available mailing.
Misc

Q: Is LJ available electronically?
A: Selected articles are available on our web site
http://www.linuxjournal.com/.

Q: Can information that appears in LJ be reprinted?
A: Authors may use the material with the restriction that if
used immediately after LJ publication, they include the
phrase "reprinted with permission of Linux Journal" in the
reprinted article. Other people wishing to use material
should contact LJ. Permission is usually granted free for
non-commercial use, except where restricted by author or
other prior copyright.

If All Else Fails ...
If your question isn't answered here, send e-mail to
li...@ssc.com. We will send an e-mail response, and if it is
a common question, we will add it to this FAQ. If you don't
have e-mail, you can fax questions to 206-782-7191 or call
206-782-7733.

Linux Journal Subscription Order Form

1 year subscriptions to Linux Journal are $22/year (12
issues) in the US, $27USD in Canada, $32USD in other
countries. Two year subscriptions are $39 in the US, $49USD
in Canada, $54 in other countries. While supplies last, back
issues are available for $6 ($8 airmail) for one back issue,
$5 ($7 airmail) for additional issues on the same order.
(Currently, issues 1-5, 7, 30 and 44 are sold out.)

Payment can be made using VISA, MasterCard or American
Express. (Make sure you include the credit card number,
expiration date and signature.) If you have a question
concerning the appropriate method of payment, phone or FAX
our subscription numbers or send e-mail to su...@ssc.com.

Your subscription will start with the next issue of the
magazine. That means you may not see an issue for four to
six weeks.

Send subscription orders to Linux Journal P.O. Box 55549,
Seattle, WA 98155-0549 or FAX 206 297-7515. You can also
order subscriptions directly from our web site,
http://www.ssc.com/.

If you are comfortable e-mailing credit card numbers, you
can send your order via e-mail to su...@ssc.com.

[ ] 1 year subscription [ ] 2 year subscription
[ ] Back issue(s): _________[ ] reg. ($6 ea.) [ ]non-US
airmail ($8 ea.)
Back Issues available: 6(October 94), 8(December 94),
9(January 95), 10(February 95), 11(March 95), 12(April 95),
13(May 95), 14(June 95), 15(July 95), 16(August 95),
17(September 95), 18(October 95), 19(November 95),
20(December 95), 21(January 96), 22(February 96), 23(March
96), 24(April 96), 25(May 96), 26(June 96), 27(July 96),
28(August 96), 29(September 96), 31(November 96),
32(December 96), 33(January 97, 34(February 97), 35(March
97), 36(April 97), 37(May 97), 38(June), 39(July),
40(August), 41(September), 42(October), 43(November),
45(January), 46(February), 49(May), 50(June), 51(July),
52(August), 55(November), 58 (February), 59 (March), 60
(April), 61 (May), 63 (June), 64 (July), 65 (August).

Name ______________________________________________________

Company ___________________________________________________

Address ___________________________________________________

City ______________________ State ________ ZIP ____________

Phone _____________________ Country _______________________

E-mail ____________________________________________________
Method of Payment: [ ] check (enclosed), (when mailing form)
[ ] Visa/MasterCard, [ ] American Express

Currently use Linux [ ] at work, [ ] at home
[ ] I am interested in writing for Linux Journal. Send me an Author's Guide.
[ ] I am interested in advertising in Linux Journal. Send me a rate card.
Features I would like to see in Linux Journal/other comments

Darcy Whitman <da...@ssc.com> P.O. Box 85867, Seattle, WA 98145-1876
Assistant to the Editor (206)782-7733 ext. 130 Fax:(206)782-7191
Linux Journal magazine http://www.linuxjournal.com