UP2000 AlphaBIOS

shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp

Feb 11, 2009, 10:09:11 AM2/11/09
Sorry. I can't speak English very much.
I have UP2000 M/B. I will update UP2000's AlphaBIOS,but I can't
find the AlphaBIOS image.
So,SRM firmware used 264DP's firmware when old,
I thought that 264DP's AlphaBIOS may usable too,
I updated the 264DP's AlphaBIOS.

Currently,The machine can boot AlphaBIOS screen,but
can't install and boot WinNT ,and can't change to SRM console.
(I can select the Console Selection to SRM,but after reboot,
AlphaBIOS was booted.)

I think that way to settle is overwrite genuine UP2000's AlphaBIOS
only.
But I dont have it.
Please tell me how to get this images.

(Japanese)
英訳怪しいので日本語でも書いておきます。
UP2000マザーを持っていますが、最新版のBIOSに更新したい
と考え(CPU(KB/Mouse/CRT)切り替え器との相性が悪く、
他のAlpha機(pws500a等)はAlphaBIOSの更新で改善されたため)
色々探しましたが見付かりませんでした。
入手時のこのM/BのSRMは264DPのSRMが入っていたため、
互換性があるかもしれないと思いAlphaBIOSも264DPの
ものでUPDATEしたところ、
・AlphaBIOSでは起動するが、NTのインストールや起動が出来ない
・SRMに戻すことが出来ない(設定は出来るが、必ずAlphaBIOSが
起動してしまう)
という問題が出てしまいました。
唯一の解決手段が正規UP2000用AlphaBIOSに戻すことではないかと
考えておりますが、入手方法が分かりません。
入手方法が分かる方、教えていただけませんでしょうか。

Marc Schlensog

Feb 11, 2009, 10:35:17 AM2/11/09
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 07:09:11 -0800 (PST)
shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp wrote:

> Sorry. I can't speak English very much.
> I have UP2000 M/B. I will update UP2000's AlphaBIOS,but I can't
> find the AlphaBIOS image.
> So,SRM firmware used 264DP's firmware when old,
> I thought that 264DP's AlphaBIOS may usable too,
> I updated the 264DP's AlphaBIOS.
>
> Currently,The machine can boot AlphaBIOS screen,but
> can't install and boot WinNT ,and can't change to SRM console.
> (I can select the Console Selection to SRM,but after reboot,
> AlphaBIOS was booted.)
>
> I think that way to settle is overwrite genuine UP2000's AlphaBIOS
> only.
> But I dont have it.
> Please tell me how to get this images.

Hi,

you may find what you need here:
http://www.alphalinux.org/firmware/api/UP2000/

HTH & b.r.,

Marc

shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp

Feb 11, 2009, 11:16:28 AM2/11/09
Thank you for reply. but...
I knew that archive already, and SRM firmware updated from those.
I looking for AlphaBIOS firmware.
Those archive include NT install package.but it contain NT-HAL,
storage(Adaptec SCSI and IDE) drivers only.(Firmware not included.)

Steven Hirsch

Feb 11, 2009, 6:17:23 PM2/11/09

I've never seen an AlphaBIOS for the UP2000. I'm of the impression that they
use SRM only (but I may be wrong - it's happened before!)

Robert Riches

Feb 12, 2009, 12:53:42 AM2/12/09

I'm quite sure I saw something other than SRM on my UP2K.
Somehow, it got switched over to that, and it was a
challenge to get it back to using SRM.

--
Robert Riches
spamt...@verizon.net

shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp

Feb 12, 2009, 9:00:27 AM2/12/09
On 2月12日, 午後2:53, Robert Riches <spamtra...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 2009-02-11, Steven Hirsch <snhir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > shim...@topaz.plala.or.jp wrote:
> >> Thank you for reply. but...
> >> I knew that archive already, and SRM firmware updated from those.
> >> I looking for AlphaBIOS firmware.
> >> Those archive include NT install package.but it contain NT-HAL,
> >> storage(Adaptec SCSI and IDE) drivers only.(Firmware not included.)
>
> > I've never seen an AlphaBIOS for the UP2000. I'm of the impression that they
> > use SRM only (but I may be wrong - it's happened before!)
>
> I'm quite sure I saw something other than SRM on my UP2K.
> Somehow, it got switched over to that, and it was a
> challenge to get it back to using SRM.
>
> --
> Robert Riches
> spamtra...@verizon.net

> (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

Thank you for everyone.I will use SRM too.but I can't change to.
Directory after update AlphaBIOS, I can boot SRM to jumper J29 0-1.
(Normal Recovery mode)
But I after clear CMOS data(remove Li-battery), Normal recovery mode
doesn't boot.
(Only black(power save) screen.)
For the time being, I hope that I will use SRM console alone...

shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp

Feb 12, 2009, 9:20:50 AM2/12/09

Do you know how to create ROM image from moving M/B everyone?
I will happy who send me correct (working) AlphaBIOS image...

juhana paavola

Feb 12, 2009, 2:34:37 PM2/12/09

Did I understand that you cannot boot it anymore to SRM/AlphaBIOS, it
only shows blank screen ?

Have you tried connecting terminal to serial port, serial 1 with
9600,8,n,1 should do and show something when booting. About switching
SRM, sounds familiar to my PWS years ago. It changed to SRM but
without writing environment settings, it boot back to AlphaBios after
power cycle. So get SRM guide from somewhere, maybe you also need
write environment setting when SRM.

-juhana

shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp

Feb 13, 2009, 9:25:48 AM2/13/09
On 2月13日, 午前4:34, juhana paavola <juhana.paav...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes. I tried to connect cross cable to COM2,a lot of error messages
are rolling.
After retryied clear CMOS(remove Li-batt.), then SRM was booted.(as
recovery mode.)
I could boot linux.Thank you everyone..But I will use not only linux
but also NT...
(Not for comp.os.linux...)

juhana paavola

Feb 13, 2009, 1:45:49 PM2/13/09

May I ask why you use NT on Alpha ?
Just for fun or have you really some important work ?

AFAIK, SRM cannot be used to boot NT so get AlphaBIOS with MILO to
boot linux and have NT possibility too.
Working MILO can be hard to find, I managed to use SUSE MILO.

-juhana

DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre

Feb 20, 2009, 9:43:13 PM2/20/09
shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp wrote:
> Currently,The machine can boot AlphaBIOS screen,but
> can't install and boot WinNT

Alphas can only boot NT4 and NT5-beta . you need "Alpha specific"
version of Windows. Microsoft did not release NT5.0 (final) for alpha,
and did not started any beta for further Windows (Me, NT5.1, 5.2,
Longhorm ...) . Before complaining about NT not booting, make sure you
have an Alpha version.

--
>o_/ DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre (aka DoubleHP) http://benoit.demaine.info/
If computing were an exact science, IT engineers would not have work \_o<

"So all that's left, Is the proof that love's not only blind but deaf."
(FAKE TALES OF SAN FRANCISCO, Arctic Monkeys)

shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp

Feb 23, 2009, 10:42:49 AM2/23/09
On 2月21日, 午前11:43, DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre <nntp_pi...@demaine.info>
wrote:

> shim...@topaz.plala.or.jp wrote:
> > Currently,The machine can boot AlphaBIOS screen,but
> > can't install and boot WinNT
>
> Alphas can only boot NT4 and NT5-beta . you need "Alpha specific"
> version of Windows. Microsoft did not release NT5.0 (final) for alpha,
> and did not started any beta for further Windows (Me, NT5.1, 5.2,
> Longhorm ...) . Before complaining about NT not booting, make sure you
> have an Alpha version.
>
> --
> >o_/ DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre (aka DoubleHP)http://benoit.demaine.info/

> If computing were an exact science, IT engineers would not have work \_o<
>
> "So all that's left, Is the proof that love's not only blind but deaf."
> (FAKE TALES OF SAN FRANCISCO, Arctic Monkeys)

Yes. I have WinNT4.0. NT4 CDROM include i386,Alpha,ppc,pc98x1(only
Japan?) platform in
a CD.
I want NT5(win2k) beta2 media but I don't have...There are not enough
drivers for PCI cards...

I tryed booting NT4 on DP264's AlphaBIOS condition,I successed boot
NT,but SCSI HDDs are not
recognized.(IDE HDD is recognized.) and failure converting from FAT to
NTFS while installing.
When I selected install to FAT partition,the OS boot is successful.
But next,NIC(I tested tulip and AMD PCnet) can't use.(driver can
install,recognized,but can't use,
pop up DHCP error message. Off cource I'm running dhcpd on other
PC,and don't connect set to static IPs.)

Marc Schlensog

Feb 23, 2009, 1:10:36 PM2/23/09
On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:42:49 -0800 (PST)
shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp wrote:

> Yes. I have WinNT4.0. NT4 CDROM include i386,Alpha,ppc,pc98x1(only
> Japan?) platform in
> a CD.
> I want NT5(win2k) beta2 media but I don't have...There are not enough
> drivers for PCI cards...
>
> I tryed booting NT4 on DP264's AlphaBIOS condition,I successed boot
> NT,but SCSI HDDs are not
> recognized.(IDE HDD is recognized.) and failure converting from FAT to
> NTFS while installing.
> When I selected install to FAT partition,the OS boot is successful.
> But next,NIC(I tested tulip and AMD PCnet) can't use.(driver can
> install,recognized,but can't use,
> pop up DHCP error message. Off cource I'm running dhcpd on other
> PC,and don't connect set to static IPs.)

What I don't understand: Why do you want/need NT4 for Alpha? It's
ancient, it's not supported anymore and there is hardly any native
software out there for NT/alpha (not to mention W2k/alpha). Driver
problems aside.
IMO you are just limiting the usability of your Alpha.

b.r.,

Marc

shi...@topaz.plala.or.jp

Feb 25, 2009, 8:19:14 AM2/25/09

Sorry.Only my hobby.

juhana paavola

Feb 26, 2009, 1:28:56 PM2/26/09

Anyway, I remember I had also problem when converting FAT -> NTFS but
at install time format part to NTFS worked. Also in PWS got that
onboard tulip card working with NT4 drivers. I used also another net,
atleast some NE2x clones and EEPRO worked.
But with graphic cards no luck, Voodoo3 and ELSA Gloria Synergy
drivers did exist at that time. Just fine working, some old Matrox
card also worked.

Maybe you can't never get your SCSI work with current controller. If
that is onboard, no luck but you can look for some old Adaptec
2940u/uw/u2w, those worked.

-juhana