API Networks CS20 Bad Memory or ROM

jkau...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2012, 3:38:48 PM11/13/12

After my API Networks CS20 was sitting on my shelf unplugged for a couple years, I turned it on a couple days ago and received the following output on my serial console:

<snip>

Bad Memory or ROM?
J14 J16 J18 J20(Bank0)
57 57 57 57
J15 J17 J19 J21(Bank1)
57 57 57 57.3f.06

I tried moving the eight RAM modules around (2GB installed) to different slots, removing all of them completely, putting a jumper across pins 1 and 2 on J2, replacing the 3V battery, but the bad memory message still appears. Typing a carriage return after that message above drops me to the SROM mini-debugger:

SLRP V02050202
Break (ff) from 00004740
SROM>

From which I can run all the mini-debugger commands. As near as I can tell, I need to reflash the firmware, and the user's guide specifies that jumpers must be placed across pins 1/2 and 3/4 in J2 in order to "failsafe reflash from CDROM (COM1)". Here's where I am stuck. What should be on the CD? I burned the ISO hosted at:

http://alphalinux.org/firmware/api/CS20/CD-ROM/SRM-5.8-81.iso

to a CD-R with cdrecord under Linux, put the proper jumpers in place, but the "Bad Memory or ROM?" message still appears on boot with the CD-R in the drive, and I am still dropped to the SROM mini-debugger as before. I'm fairly certain that the CD-ROM drive functions, as the status LED on it flashes often during POST.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd love to get this guy back up and running.

Thanks,

-Jason