tgafb

diego....@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2009, 7:13:48 AM3/18/09
Hello,

modprobe tgafb give me a blank screen on debian etch and lenny (multia
and alphaserver 1000a).
Can someone tell me how to fix it ?

Many thanks.

g...@decadence.it

Mar 18, 2009, 8:28:35 AM3/18/09

Which kernel?
The one in Lenny (2.6.26-1-alpha-generic) ?
Could you try to boot with framebuffer enabled?
Try booting with video=tgafb:1024x800-8@60 command line parameter and
see what happens.
I would try on my Multia as soon as I solve an harddisk related
problem.

Best regards
Gianluca Bonetti

PS: you could also sign on Debian Alpha mailing list, you are welcome!

Message has been deleted

diego....@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2009, 6:12:43 PM3/18/09

I have found the solution :

First i'm not sure that tgafb is included in the debian-installer (I
will check that later) so I install both systems via serial console.
After the installation, I login via serial console and modprobe tgafb
but not fbcon !!! I made the mistake ! That's why I got a blank/
screwed screen.
So I add fbcon and tgafb to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, update-
initramfs -u, I uncoment "1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1" in
the /etc/inittab, reboot and YESSS it works!

g...@decadence.it

Mar 19, 2009, 5:12:17 AM3/19/09
On 18 Mar, 23:12, diego.cla...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have found the solution :
>
> First i'm not sure that tgafb is included in the debian-installer (I
> will check that later) so I install both systems via serial console.
> After the installation, I login via serial console and modprobe tgafb
> but not fbcon !!!  I made the mistake !  That's why I got a blank/
> screwed screen.
> So I add fbcon and tgafb to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, update-
> initramfs -u, I uncoment "1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1" in
> the /etc/inittab, reboot and YESSS it works!

Great job!
To install, you could also boot debian installer in text mode, which
doesn't neet fb at all (no graphics, no need for fb)
Now this sound like an happy debian alpha user! :)

Xorg on the Multia is slow, but if you have >128 MB RAM it is
acceptable once loaded.
Xorg on the AS1000 is way faster than Multia.
TGA video module in Xorg is limited to 8 bit color, but you could swap
the TGA card with another like a Matrox, ATI, S3 or others.

Please subscribe to the debian alpha mailing list, there is need for
lasting debian alpha user to stay unite and look forward, if possible.

Regards
Gianluca Bonetti