New Monitor Final and Firm

Dkjgkgjhsvb

Nov 23, 2022, 12:22:53 PM11/23/22
Gaming! Gaming! Gaming!

4K! 4K! 4K!

That's all one fucking sees!

But I don't need gaming and I don't need 4K. I want color
accuracy and thus I decided to go professional:

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VP2768a-ColorPro-Blindness-Calibration/dp/B08L9VHCGP

This is a damn good monitor for professional color.

It has 5ms GtG and 60Hz refresh, which is disappointing, but then only
rarely do I work with high frame rates.

I was gonna get 4K but I realized that everything will get
a LOT smaller -- so fuck it.

Joel

Nov 23, 2022, 12:40:09 PM11/23/22
This is actually a good point, Russell, my new 4K monitor turned out
not to be such a great thing to get, although I'm sticking with it. In
retrospect, I might not have gone with it.

--
Joel Crump

chrisv

Nov 23, 2022, 5:56:50 PM11/23/22
Joel wrote:

> Dkjgkgjhsvb wrote:
>>
>>I don't need gaming and I don't need 4K. I want color
>>accuracy and thus I decided to go professional:
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VP2768a-ColorPro-Blindness-Calibration/dp/B08L9VHCGP
>>
>>This is a damn good monitor for professional color.
>>
>>It has 5ms GtG and 60Hz refresh, which is disappointing, but then only
>>rarely do I work with high frame rates.

Not a bad choice, Fabian. I agree that good color and contrast and
more important, for most of us.

My daughter, being an artist, uses a pro-quality color-accurate
monitor (a NEC 24" 1920x1200) that I bought for her quite a few years
ago, and I've been thinking about getting her a bigger one, one of
these days.

Maybe this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D7JCT5Y

First we have to get her new PC up and running, though. The monitor
can wait.

>>I was gonna get 4K but I realized that everything will get
>>a LOT smaller -- so fuck it.
>
>This is actually a good point, Russell, my new 4K monitor turned out
>not to be such a great thing to get, although I'm sticking with it. In
>retrospect, I might not have gone with it.

See, that's what I was talking about! Why can't these OS's scale
everything so that we can get a "retina" display, if we want, without
the shrinkage?

--
'Who said anything about removing users "choice"? Or do you think the
choice is the choice for developers to turn out any old crud?' -

Relf

Nov 24, 2022, 1:02:16 AM11/24/22
Amazon now sells 32" 4k OLED monitors; 3500 $, no reviews.

chrisv

Nov 24, 2022, 8:47:48 AM11/24/22
Relf wrote:

>Amazon now sells 32" 4k OLED monitors; 3500 $, no reviews.

65" OLED TV's are available for a lot less than $3500...

--
"WinPhone isn't a piece of crap" - some dumb fsck, confessing that
failure in a market can have nothing to do with a lack of quality.

Joel

Nov 24, 2022, 9:00:09 AM11/24/22
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>"WinPhone isn't a piece of crap" - some dumb fsck, confessing that
>failure in a market can have nothing to do with a lack of quality.

Ha! Interesting. That is a good point, Windows Phone was nice, but
it lacked third party support, so it failed - Linux likewise doesn't
get a lot of support from hardware vendors, so people don't always
know it's a viable alternative to Windows and Mac. Does that prove
that it otherwise would? Who knows - but it's certainly interesting
that DFS refuses to acknowledge it.

--
Joel Crump

chrisv

Nov 24, 2022, 9:01:51 AM11/24/22
chrisv wrote:

>My daughter, being an artist, uses a pro-quality color-accurate
>monitor (a NEC 24" 1920x1200) that I bought for her quite a few years
>ago, and I've been thinking about getting her a bigger one, one of
>these days.
>
>Maybe this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D7JCT5Y

Or this one, which is even better, and comes with a calibrator.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JFPT3QX

Quite a bit more money, but not a terrible investment, for a pro.

>First we have to get her new PC up and running, though. The monitor
>can wait.

We should be putting the new computer together this weekend! We
haven't yet figured-out the video card, so we will transfer the 1070
to the new machine. Also using a temporary power supply, until the
ATX 3.0 supplies are out.

Relf

Nov 24, 2022, 4:31:05 PM11/24/22
chrisv wrote:
> Amazon.COM/dp/B09JFPT3QX
> Quite a bit more money, but not a terrible investment, for a pro.

A 1500 $ monitor ?! you'd never buy that for yourself.

447 $ gets you a 32” 4K 60 Hz IPS monitor: Amazon.COM/dp/B08FQ42MN1
Ships from & Sold by: Amazon.COM

chrisv

Nov 25, 2022, 8:32:06 AM11/25/22
Relf wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>> Amazon.COM/dp/B09JFPT3QX
>> Quite a bit more money, but not a terrible investment, for a pro.
>
>A 1500 $ monitor ?! you'd never buy that for yourself.

For myself, of course not.

>447 $ gets you a 32” 4K 60 Hz IPS monitor: Amazon.COM/dp/B08FQ42MN1

Yeah, 4k is everywhere, because it's cheap.

--
"The problem here is that the freetards continue to ignore the real
world in order to protect their misguided belief system." - trolling

L​e​s​t​e​r​ ​T​h​o​r​p​e​

Nov 25, 2022, 8:54:16 AM11/25/22
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>"WinPhone isn't a piece of crap" - some dumb fsck, confessing that
>failure in a market can have nothing to do with a lack of quality.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

The DuFuS Supremus, in her obsessive quest to sniff out "contradictions,"
doesn't realize that SHE is the biggest double-talker of them all.

Like all true idiots, she can only search for herself.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

DFS

Nov 25, 2022, 9:50:02 AM11/25/22
On 11/25/2022 8:54 AM, Lameass Larry Piet wrote:

> chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> "WinPhone isn't a piece of crap" - some dumb fsck, confessing that
>> failure in a market can have nothing to do with a lack of quality.
>>

> Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
>
> The DuFuS Supremus, in her obsessive quest to sniff out "contradictions,"
> doesn't realize that SHE is the biggest double-talker of them all.

Most times you post we get something in direct contradiction to the
prior babbling.

For example, just in the past couple days:

shitv: "Dell UltraSharp U3023E"

Feeb: "I wouldn't touch it. 5 ms GTG is quite high. One should look
for 1ms GTG at 120MHz refresh."

Feeb next day: "My new monitor has 5ms GtG and 60Hz refresh"

What a dbl-talking asshole.

chrisv

Nov 26, 2022, 9:01:35 AM11/26/22
Joel wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>>"WinPhone isn't a piece of crap" - some dumb fsck, confessing that
>>failure in a market can have nothing to do with a lack of quality.
>
>Ha! Interesting. That is a good point, Windows Phone was nice, but
>it lacked third party support, so it failed - Linux likewise doesn't
>get a lot of support from hardware vendors, so people don't always
>know it's a viable alternative to Windows and Mac.

Winphone had tons of advantages over GNU/Linux. The resources and
backing of the mighty Micro$oft Corp. Universal name recognition.
Tens of $MILLIONS in marketing. Product that people could actually
see and touch, in mainstream stores.

It *still* failed.

>Does that prove
>that it otherwise would? Who knows - but it's certainly interesting
>that DFS refuses to acknowledge it.

He's a jackasshole without shame. He would scream "night" at high
noon, to troll.

The advocates have been proven correct on 100% of the *important*
issues.

--
"In a world in which MS Windows exists, there is literally NO REASON
to run Linux on your desktop." - some dumb fsck, lying shamelessly

rbowman

Nov 26, 2022, 11:41:54 AM11/26/22
On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 08:01:33 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> Winphone had tons of advantages over GNU/Linux. The resources and
> backing of the mighty Micro$oft Corp. Universal name recognition. Tens
> of $MILLIONS in marketing. Product that people could actually see and
> touch,
> in mainstream stores.
>
> It *still* failed.

It fell into the Catch 22 bucket. It didn't have many interesting apps so
adoption was slow. Developers looked at the market share and hesitated to
develop apps. Rinse and repeat.

I think you also had to register as a Windows phone developer and jump
through hoops to get an app on the Phone Store. They took a page out of
Apple's book but they aren't Apple.

They tried the same thing with UWP and meant with the same lack of
enthusiasm. Windows 10 was loosened up so you can sideload an app if you
know enough to put it into developer mode.

chrisv

Nov 26, 2022, 2:26:29 PM11/26/22
rbowman wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> Winphone had tons of advantages over GNU/Linux. The resources and
>> backing of the mighty Micro$oft Corp. Universal name recognition. Tens
>> of $MILLIONS in marketing. Product that people could actually see and
>> touch, in mainstream stores.
>>
>> It *still* failed.
>
>It fell into the Catch 22 bucket. It didn't have many interesting apps so
>adoption was slow. Developers looked at the market share and hesitated to
>develop apps. Rinse and repeat.

Just like GNU/Linux. That's the point.

--
"amazing Linux does as poorly as it does given its lack of cost" -
some thing

Joel

Nov 26, 2022, 2:31:14 PM11/26/22
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>rbowman wrote:
>> chrisv wrote:
>>>
>>> Winphone had tons of advantages over GNU/Linux. The resources and
>>> backing of the mighty Micro$oft Corp. Universal name recognition. Tens
>>> of $MILLIONS in marketing. Product that people could actually see and
>>> touch, in mainstream stores.
>>>
>>> It *still* failed.
>>
>>It fell into the Catch 22 bucket. It didn't have many interesting apps so
>>adoption was slow. Developers looked at the market share and hesitated to
>>develop apps. Rinse and repeat.
>
>Just like GNU/Linux. That's the point.

My view is that desktop Linux *is* a success. It doesn't matter how
many people want to use it, it only matters that it's a viable
alternative, and it definitely is so. If COVID had not happened, I'd
still be running Linux on my old computer, because Win10 had outgrown
its hardware. The stimulus payments allowed me to build a new
computer, but that's the only reason I'm really able to run Windows
now.

--
Joel Crump

rbowman

Nov 26, 2022, 6:43:42 PM11/26/22
On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 13:26:25 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> rbowman wrote:
>
>> chrisv wrote:
>>>
>>> Winphone had tons of advantages over GNU/Linux. The resources and
>>> backing of the mighty Micro$oft Corp. Universal name recognition.
>>> Tens of $MILLIONS in marketing. Product that people could actually
>>> see and touch, in mainstream stores.
>>>
>>> It *still* failed.
>>
>>It fell into the Catch 22 bucket. It didn't have many interesting apps
>>so adoption was slow. Developers looked at the market share and
>>hesitated to develop apps. Rinse and repeat.
>
> Just like GNU/Linux. That's the point.

Er, no.

https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-server-
debian-11/

As background, when our sales people go to trade shows internet
connectivity is often poor. One part of the product is a map with the
basemap being served from Esri's CDNs. If you don't know what a basemap
is, it's that pretty picture other information is layered on when you go
to Google maps, etc. It literally is a picture, 256x265 png tiles that are
requested by the Javascript API. Vector tiles are another possibility but
I won't go into that.

So, what we need is a tile server that can be taken to shows so the map
displays without going out to the internet. One possibility is creating a
tile server from OpenStreetMap data.

As you can see, there are quite a few packages to be installed, and a lot
of moving parts. Some like mapnik are available on Windows but may lag the
current generation. Others might be able to be built with some difficulty.
The consensus on the GIS boards is don't even try unless you want to spend
days of frustration.

So my recommendation is to buy a mini-PC in the $350-500 range. Most come
with Windows 11 Pro, but that's only going to survive long enough to make
sure the unit functions. Then it will be overwritten with Debian and
turned into a tileserver.

No, it won't be a desktop and will spend most of its life headless after
configuration. All it has to do is come up with the tiles on request. It
doesn't have to be super powerful either. The tiles are cached when they
are rendered the first time.

Linux may not be for your great aunt Sophie but it gets the job done. As
I've said before if you want to put something up on AWS a Windows instance
will cost you at least three times as much per hour as Linux. If you want
a SQL Server AMI, bend over.

rbowman

Nov 26, 2022, 6:59:50 PM11/26/22
On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 14:31:11 -0500, Joel wrote:

> My view is that desktop Linux *is* a success. It doesn't matter how
> many people want to use it, it only matters that it's a viable
> alternative, and it definitely is so. If COVID had not happened, I'd
> still be running Linux on my old computer, because Win10 had outgrown
> its hardware. The stimulus payments allowed me to build a new computer,
> but that's the only reason I'm really able to run Windows now.

As I sit here I have a 4 channel KVM switch to my left. Two Windows
machines and an old OpenSUSE box are available at the push of a button,
but I'm typing this on the Ubuntu 22.04 machine.

The truth is it doesn't make a lot of difference to me. VS Code and Dotnet
6 do just fine on Linux. In fact on Windows you can pass a flag to 'dotnet
build' and it will build a Linux executable. If you want you can run SQL
Server on Linux, although I prefer PostgreSQL, which runs on either.
Angular and the whole npm universe -- both. QGIS and the associated tools
-- both.

If Linux is such a dog, why is Microsoft spending so much time building
cross-platform tools? I just read that even on 10 the new WSL
installations from the store will run GUIs.

Joel

Nov 26, 2022, 7:14:52 PM11/26/22
rbowman <bow...@montana.com> wrote:

>If Linux is such a dog, why is Microsoft spending so much time building
>cross-platform tools? I just read that even on 10 the new WSL
>installations from the store will run GUIs.

Right, I don't really have a purpose for the Linux subsystem, but it's
interesting how they are proud of making it a thing,

--
Joel Crump

rbowman

Nov 26, 2022, 11:21:42 PM11/26/22
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/faq

The FAQ is a little out of date but the information is still valid:

"This is primarily a tool for developers, especially web developers, those
working on open source projects, or deploying to Linux server
environments. WSL is for anyone who likes using Bash, common Linux tools
(sed, awk, etc.) and Linux-first frameworks (Ruby, Python, etc.) but also
enjoys using Windows productivity tools"

I don't know about sed and awk. As I described in another post, some tasks
go a lot smoother on Linux. The Open Source Geospatial Foundation is very
much FOSS oriented so the tools tend to be Linux-first, and in some cases
Linux only.

Microsoft has other fish to fry besides Windows desktop.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-cloud-revenue-at-23-4-billion-in-
q3-up-32-percent/

I haven't priced Azure but it follows the same pattern as AWS, with Linux
instances being considerably less expensive than Windows because you're
not paying for the license. Selling cloud services produces more revenue
than OS licenses so MS is fine with that.

When you're looking at SaaS or some other cloud based technology the first
question is "What's this going to cost?" The answer makes Linux very
attractive.

So, back at WSL. Developers can package everything in Docker and deploy it
to the web. It's going to be Linux in many cases and they could be working
on a bare metal Linux box. But if you make it really easy for them to work
in WSL, you get to sell a Windows 10/11 license, probably Office 365,
Outlook and so forth while keeping them in the Windows world more or less.

The same goes for VS Code and dotnet 6/7. Both work fine on Linux and I
use them on a straight Linux box. Note also that the price is right --
free. MS is playing a long game. Linux isn't going to capture the home
desktop market share in this century, but it certainly isn't going away
when it comes to enterprise level servers. You can either play along and
get some revenue along the way or lose out entirely.

chrisv

Nov 27, 2022, 7:45:13 AM11/27/22
rbowman wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> rbowman wrote:

>>>It fell into the Catch 22 bucket. It didn't have many interesting apps
>>>so adoption was slow. Developers looked at the market share and
>>>hesitated to develop apps. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>> Just like GNU/Linux. That's the point.
>
>Er, no.

Er, yes.

>https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-server-debian-11/

Yeah, "tile servers". The mass-market "must have" software.

--
"Capability and flexibility has NOTHING to do with [why people use
Linux]." - DumFSck, lying shamelessly

chrisv

Nov 27, 2022, 7:49:46 AM11/27/22
Joel wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>>rbowman wrote:

>>>It fell into the Catch 22 bucket. It didn't have many interesting apps so
>>>adoption was slow. Developers looked at the market share and hesitated to
>>>develop apps. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>Just like GNU/Linux. That's the point.
>
>My view is that desktop Linux *is* a success. It doesn't matter how
>many people want to use it, it only matters that it's a viable
>alternative, and it definitely is so.

Of course it's a success, as countless "niche" products are.

But it was only held back from even greater popularity. Not only by
the now-expected dymanics of computing/software markets, but by some
dirty-dealing out of Redmond.

--
"Why should they support the tiny 1% who wish to be different?" -
"True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark, defending the need to use

rbowman

Nov 27, 2022, 12:26:34 PM11/27/22
On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 06:49:42 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> But it was only held back from even greater popularity. Not only by the
> now-expected dymanics of computing/software markets, but by some
> dirty-dealing out of Redmond.

Yeah, the Ballmer years didn't help. He's finally grudgingly come around
to the view that Linux might not be the product of a bunch of dirty
communists, but it took getting fired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylin_(operating_system)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_Linux
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_Operating_System
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat_Operating_System_Solutions

As the US becomes increasingly sanctions happy, Microsoft products arouse
some skepticism. When they phone home, you have to wonder if NSA is on the
party line. How many desktops are there in China? India? Do you really
believe the share of market statistics?

rbowman

Nov 27, 2022, 12:36:53 PM11/27/22
On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 06:45:10 -0600, chrisv wrote:

> rbowman wrote:
>
>> chrisv wrote:

>>> Just like GNU/Linux. That's the point.
>>
>>Er, no.
>
> Er, yes.
>
>>https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-server-
debian-11/

> Yeah, "tile servers". The mass-market "must have" software.

Well, there is the problem. The mass market sort of likes their Bing or
Google maps, don't they? The mass market is living in a world that is all
magic as far as they know. When they post their cat photos on Facebook,
they don't have a clue what React is. The same goes for the whining libs
on Twitter.

When the mass market goes out to their Honda Prius, they don't have a clue
what software they must have. There is a reason developers refer to the
mass market as lusers.

chrisv

Nov 27, 2022, 5:08:08 PM11/27/22
rbowman wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, "tile servers". The mass-market "must have" software.
>
>Well, there is the problem. The mass market sort of likes their Bing or
>Google maps, don't they? The mass market is living in a world that is all
>magic as far as they know. When they post their cat photos on Facebook,
>they don't have a clue what React is. The same goes for the whining libs
>on Twitter.

Well, I'm not discounting the importance of server-side software. Or
embedded software.

>When the mass market goes out to their Honda Prius, they don't have a clue
>what software they must have. There is a reason developers refer to the
>mass market as lusers.

Well, that's a bit harsh. 8)

--
'2018: "dullards either stay with the Windows herd, or go with the
designed-for-morons Mac." - [chrisv], labeling his daughter a

rbowman

Nov 27, 2022, 8:23:25 PM11/27/22
On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 16:08:04 -0600, chrisv wrote:

>>When the mass market goes out to their Honda Prius, they don't have a
>>clue what software they must have. There is a reason developers refer to
>>the mass market as lusers.
>
> Well, that's a bit harsh. 8)

The truth often is harsh. What percentage of the US, or the world
population for that matter, has a clue about how anything works? This
isn't a new phenomenon. How may knew how a superheterodyne receiver worked
beyond the knobs to turn it on and find a station? In that era at least
they could still cook rice without a microprocessor controlled rice
cooker. While they might have been vague about the entire switching
network, a telephone wasn't very mysterious. Most men (and some women)
prided themselves in the ability to fix a automobile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws

The Virginia Woolf 1928 quote nails it

"Then she got into the lift, for the good reason that the door stood open;
and was shot smoothly upwards. The very fabric of life now, she thought as
she rose, is magic. In the eighteenth century, we knew how everything was
done; but here I rise through the air; I listen to voices in America; I
see men flying – but how it's done I can't even begin to wonder. So my
belief in magic returns."

Is this good in the long run or is it surrendering too much autonomy to
technocrats? We certainly have several current examples of worshiping
'experts'.

Relf

Nov 27, 2022, 9:33:08 PM11/27/22
rBowman asked:
> [ are we ] surrendering too much autonomy to technocrats ?
> We certainly have several current examples of worshiping 'experts'.

People in Kiev Ukrain carry their groceries up 20+ floors because
the elevator doesn't work... no water, no toilet, no electricity, no heat.

Their dachas, in the countryside, have a wood, potatoes & well water.

DFS

Nov 27, 2022, 10:26:47 PM11/27/22
On 11/27/2022 12:36 PM, rbowman wrote:

> The mass market is living in a world that is all magic as far as they know.

> There is a reason developers refer to the mass market as lusers.

Yikes. Both of your statements are very Feebish.

Whatever you do in life... don't be a Feeb.

Joel

Nov 27, 2022, 11:01:06 PM11/27/22
I actually hear rbowman's point, here. I don't think he's pulling a
Russell. There is substance to his post, if you read it from the
right perspective.

--
Joel Crump

rbowman

Nov 28, 2022, 12:37:54 AM11/28/22
There is a fragility to modern life. I just finished 'April' by Mackey
Chandler written in 2012. It's sci-fi with the protagonists living in an
orbital habitat. Not to go into detail the habitat declares war on the US
and destroys most of the military capability with a new weapon. If the US
doesn't surrender the next step is to destroy the power and transportation
infrastructure. They're not willing to take that step knowing millions
will die in the coming winter.

As I read it, I was thinking 'where have I heard something like that
recently?' The sat photos that appeared on some independent sites are
slowly trickling into the msm. If you can't find Ukraine on a map, it's
that big, black hole.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11466255/Satellite-image-shows-
Ukraine-total-darkness-latest-round-Russian-missile-strikes.html

Relf

Nov 28, 2022, 1:30:48 AM11/28/22
rBowman mentioned:
> Satellite-image-shows-Ukraine-total-darkness

& NATO hasn't been able to do anything about it.

Alvin P. Picker

Nov 28, 2022, 5:08:42 AM11/28/22
On 28 Nov 2022 01:23:21 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> The truth often is harsh. What percentage of the US, or the world
> population for that matter, has a clue about how anything works?

How are they supposed to know?

The answer is education.

In college I took courses in both fundamental computer science
and computer engineering (logic gates, Boolean algebra). This
gives me the basis to understand EVERYTHING in our technical
world.

Even as quantum computers begin to creep in, I am prepared.

So the idiots have no one to blame but themselves for their
ignorance. Those who cannot learn are doomed to Microcrap/
Apphole (that's where they belong).

> How may knew how a superheterodyne receiver worked
> beyond the knobs to turn it on and find a station?

I also took courses in basic electronics.

The superhet principle is easy. But vacuum tubes
(which are still used) boggle my mind. Also, I have
a bit of a hard time with spread spectrum concepts.

But now we have SDR ad so it's all moot.

rbowman

Nov 28, 2022, 11:56:02 AM11/28/22
On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 10:08:39 +0000, Alvin P. Picker wrote:

> The superhet principle is easy. But vacuum tubes (which are still used)
> boggle my mind. Also, I have a bit of a hard time with spread spectrum
> concepts.
>
> But now we have SDR ad so it's all moot.

There's nothing complex about spread spectrum. Hams have been doing
frequency hopping spread spectrum for decades. The limitation was the
sequence had to be known. In other words the FCC could theoretically
monitor the transmissions.

https://www.qsl.net/n9zia/ss.qexss.html

SDR made it much easier -- both ways.

https://greatscottgadgets.com/2016/03-08-defeating-spread-spectrum-
communication-with-software-defined-radio-toorcon-2013/

I've got a RTL-SDR USB device but so far I've mostly used it to snoop on
the ADS-B data from the planes at the nearby airport.

There was a hamOS Debian derivative but I don't think it's around anymore.
It was just a convenience like Kali to package a specific set of tools
that could be used with any Linux distro.

https://www.debian.org/blends/hamradio/
https://www.debian.org/blends/hamradio/get/metapackages

Linux has always been popular with hams since it supported the X.25
protocol used in packet radio before Microsoft decided it might be nice to
connect computers together with Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

rbowman

Nov 28, 2022, 11:58:12 AM11/28/22
NATO can't even sort out a row over license plates.

https://www.dw.com/en/kosovo-serbs-to-quit-state-jobs-over-license-plate-
row/a-63661511

Relf

Nov 28, 2022, 9:16:20 PM11/28/22
rBowman mentioned:
> kosovo-serbs-to-quit-state-jobs-over-license-plate[taxation/regulation]-row

Serbs won't pay tithes to the mosque.

Democracy dead, inflation taxes any who fail to kiss the dictator's ass.

vallor

Nov 29, 2022, 1:38:49 AM11/29/22
On Mon, 28 Nov 2022 10:08:39 +0000, Alvin P. Picker wrote:

> I have a bit of a hard time with spread spectrum
> concepts.

Hedy Lamarr didn't.

What a lady!

--
-v

Alvin P. Picker

Nov 29, 2022, 4:48:57 AM11/29/22
On 28 Nov 2022 16:55:57 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> Linux has always been popular with hams

I have always maintained that GNU/Linux/FOSS is identical
in spirit to amateur (i.e. ham) radio.

Ham radio and GNU/Linux/FOSS are technical endeavors that
are effected solely by AMATEURS, that is highly skilled
people that do it for the love and not for money.

Ironically, the PROFESSIONAL world, that is those who are
motivated by the big bucks, is getting more and devoid of
true technical talent. A big commercial project is usually
staffed by ignorant code monkeys that utilize programming
"frameworks."

But GNU/Linux/FOSS demands and possesses great talents.

GNU/Linux/FOSS software only lacks in the GUI area.
To develop a comprehensive and expansive GUI requires
a major infusion of cash which FOSS projects cannot muster.

But then only a fucking luser needs a GUI. For image
processing, as an example, I used to use the GIMP a lot
but now I prefer CLI almost exclusively.

CLI requires a bit of initial commitment but once one becomes
accustomed to it then it becomes the only way.

Alvin P. Picker

Nov 29, 2022, 5:29:51 AM11/29/22
On 29 Nov 2022 06:38:45 GMT, vallor wrote:

> Hedy Lamarr didn't.
>
> What a lady!

How do you know that Lamarr was a "lady?" How?

Did you ever see Lamarr in the nude? Huh?

Thus, you make a presentation that contains no
supporting evidence.

Therefore, your conclusion is invalid.

rbowman

Nov 29, 2022, 11:49:57 AM11/29/22
On Tue, 29 Nov 2022 09:48:53 +0000, Alvin P. Picker wrote:

> I have always maintained that GNU/Linux/FOSS is identical in spirit to
> amateur (i.e. ham) radio.

Pains me, but I would have to agree,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Packet_Reporting_System

Hams were doing packet radio in 1978 and APRS in the '80s. It was clunky
and 1200 baud for the most part although a few used 9600 but it was well
before public use. The 2m bands and repeaters were being used like
cellphones back when cellphones were very expensive.

When I started working for my present company in 1999, realtime position
reporting for resources like police cars was rare and required expensive
equipment from companies like Trimble. When i was tasked with creating an
interface my thought was 'they finally got around to APRS.'

Unfortunately the hams are dying off. There are still enough to carry on
emergency communication systems when the landlines and cell tower go into
the toilet.

rbowman

Nov 29, 2022, 11:57:51 AM11/29/22
On 29 Nov 2022 06:38:45 GMT, vallor wrote:

Not to take anything away from Miss Lamarr but Telefunken was using
frequency hopping spread spectrum before she was born. Zenneck wrote the
book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Zenneck

The idea crossed Tesla's mind also. None of the above used player piano
rolls for sequencing though. That was a bit unique.

RonB

Dec 1, 2022, 5:43:43 AM12/1/22
NATO doesn't care. They're using Ukrainians as cannon fodder in their war to
(attempt to) retake Russia's natural resources. We'll see how that works out
for them.

--
Freedom. Use it or lose it.

Relf

Dec 1, 2022, 8:00:56 AM12/1/22
You (RonB) replied ( to me ):
> > NATO hasn't been able to do anything about it.
>
> NATO doesn't care. They're using Ukrainians as cannon fodder
> in their war to (attempt to) retake Russia's natural resources.

What makes you think it belongs to Russia ? !

Ukraine is trying to take back its natural resources.