Windows is a thing of the past!

Tony Manco

Sep 10, 2009, 9:18:55 AM9/10/09
After +10 years of Windows, I say NO MORE!

,----[ Quote ]
| Hello, All:
|
| After more than 10 years of using Windows, from Windows 3.1, 95, 2000, ME,
| NT, Millennium, Server 2003, XP, and *finally* Vista, I herein declare
| that Windows is a thing of the past.
|
| I worked for +6 years as an on-site IT Support, and 100% of the troubled
| computers run Windows. Windows is a great operating system that gets the
| cycle of consumption going. A highly publicized, well-lubed bloated,
| conglomerate of absolute garbage. Spyware, malware, defragmentation,
| bloated registery, 1 missing DLL file brings down an entire Operating
| System, service calls, endless upgrades, more RAM, more powerful CPU's,
| high-end builds *just* to run Windows "smoothly" and "efficiently."
|
| I can't recall the number of times of daunting, expensive upgrades to get
| Windows itching a bit faster, or teh occasional formats, unexplained Blue
| Screens of Death, unreliable Microsoft technical support, and the list
| goes on! You can have the latest, most expensive AntiVirus and Firewall to
| protect precious Windows that comes crashing under its own weight.
|
| After years of agony and expensive upgrades, and "hotfixes" and Knowledge
| Base Articles about 0x000.....xF Errors, I am glad to have come to Linux
| Mint...
|
| Though I am a novice user (up to this moment), Linux Mint is way ahead of
| Windows, much more stable (though I had problems with bootloader grub),
| desktop effects that are literally stunning, rendering Windows Aero as
| dull as an Excel spreadsheet... And after running Virtual Box (Linux
| virtual machine), and stressing the system to the edge, the least to say
| is --- WOW!!! My Dual Core 8600 CPU seems to be more powerful that what I
| anticipated. (I can't image how will a Quad Core perform under Linux!)
|
| I never imagined an Operating System running my on-board sound, or
| wireless
| card on my notebook, or my bluetooth adapter, or automatically download my
| video card driver, or have an online software library that is highly
| accessible and easily searchable.... I never imaged an Operating System
| that doesn't require AntiVirus + FireWall + Registery Fixer + Constant
| Defragmentation to run concurrently just to keep Windows running smoothly,
| which never did!
|
| Linux the proof that the collective wisdom of the people, that truly an
| independent creative public can exercise a far greater impact than any
| major corporation... Indeed, elegance can only come from freedom of
| thought and boldness of action...
|
| For all those developers that worked tirelessly to thwart corporate
| defrauding of the people by selling them prepackaged junk to install on
| their computers.. For all those who made Linux Mint possible...
|
| Thank You...
`----

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=32437

This one might hurt the Windows fanboys...
--
KDE 4.3.1 user

DFS

Sep 10, 2009, 9:28:15 AM9/10/09
Tony Manco wrote:

> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=32437
>
> This one might hurt the Windows fanboys...

Why? I wish I didn't have to pay MS to get a decent PC operating system and
office software.

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 10, 2009, 11:49:27 AM9/10/09

We all do.
And someday, when Linux becomes viable, we won't have to.

The freetards think we are against choice, freedom and free
software.
At least I am not, and I doubt anyone here is.

The problem is, Linux just isn't up to the tasks that *I* need.
My setup is totally applications based and in reality, I could
switch to the Mac and be up and running in a couple of hours
because all my applications are also offered for Mac.

This is just not so with Linux.

Rick

Sep 10, 2009, 5:05:18 PM9/10/09
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:28:15 -0400, DFS wrote:

Your wish was granted sometime ago....

--
Rick

Rick

Sep 10, 2009, 5:06:58 PM9/10/09
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:49:27 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:28:15 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> Tony Manco wrote:
>>
>>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=32437
>>>
>>> This one might hurt the Windows fanboys...
>>

>> Why? I wish I didn't have to pay MS to get a decent PC operating
>> system and office software.
>
> We all do.
> And someday, when Linux becomes viable, we won't have to.

Why do you use non-viable software? Why does you family?

> The freetards think we are against choice, freedom and free software.
> At least I am not, and I doubt anyone here is.

You bigots are against choice. You prove it every day.

> The problem is, Linux just isn't up to the tasks that *I* need.

Then why do you use it?

> My setup
> is totally applications based and in reality, I could switch to the Mac
> and be up and running in a couple of hours because all my applications
> are also offered for Mac.
>
> This is just not so with Linux.

So, if it's not right for you ... don't use it.

--
Rick

DFS

Sep 11, 2009, 12:19:29 AM9/11/09

You don't know what you're talking about, (p)Rick.

OO isn't even close to the level of sophistication necessary for the office
automation software I write for a living.

DFS

Sep 11, 2009, 12:21:27 AM9/11/09

I write a lot of db-client (against Access, Oracle, SQL Server, Teradata)
and office automation (Access/Excel/Outlook) stuff.

OO is a silly pretender by comparison to MS Office. Anyone who says
different doesn't know what they're talking about.

Moshe Goldfarb

Sep 11, 2009, 12:44:20 AM9/11/09

It's the same thing in the digital audio world.
Sure, Linux has some applications but using them is like
building a house with hand tools and no instructions vs power
tools and a set of blueprints.

Stan The Man

Sep 11, 2009, 2:12:41 AM9/11/09

"DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> wrote in message news:h8cj0v$rm6$1...@aioe.org...

What's lacking in Open Office that you need?

I haven't used it yet, but I was under the impression that Open Office was
very close to being a clone of MS Office.

Rick

Sep 11, 2009, 5:46:42 AM9/11/09
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:19:29 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Rick wrote:

>>> Why? I wish I didn't have to pay MS to get a decent PC operating
>>> system and office software.
>>
>> Your wish was granted sometime ago....
>
> You don't know what you're talking about, (p)Rick.

Yes, I do, kindergarten boy. BTW, when will you be turning 6?

> OO isn't even close to the level of sophistication necessary for the
> office automation software I write for a living.

Even if that's true, so what? You are not the world. Software doesn't
have to meet -your- every requirement to be considered decent by other
people.

--
Rick

Rick

Sep 11, 2009, 5:49:02 AM9/11/09
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:21:27 -0400, DFS wrote:

OO.o may be what you need --in this instance--, but that does not mean it
doesn't meet the needs of many office, business, and personal users.

--
Rick

DFS

Sep 11, 2009, 9:42:33 AM9/11/09

We weren't talking about the world, (p)Rick. I said "I", and you said "your
wish was granted" by Linux and OpenOffice. It wasn't.

You don't know what you're talking about. You almost never do.

Rick

Sep 11, 2009, 5:19:59 PM9/11/09
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:42:33 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Rick wrote:

>>> You don't know what you're talking about, (p)Rick.
>>
>> Yes, I do, kindergarten boy. BTW, when will you be turning 6?
>>

>>> OO isn't even close to the level of sophistication necessary for the
>>> office automation software I write for a living.
>>
>> Even if that's true, so what? You are not the world. Software doesn't
>> have to meet -your- every requirement to be considered decent by other
>> people.
>
> We weren't talking about the world, (p)Rick.

Yes, we are, little boy.

> I said "I", and you said
> "your wish was granted" by Linux and OpenOffice. It wasn't.

Yes, it was. OpenOffice is at least decent software.

> You don't know what you're talking about. You almost never do.

I almost always do.

--
Rick

Snit

Sep 11, 2009, 10:10:56 PM9/11/09
Rick stated in post F7WdnS6qf6EfgTfX...@supernews.com on
9/11/09 2:46 AM:

Decent.

Good word to describe OpenOffice. Well done.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

Sep 11, 2009, 10:12:19 PM9/11/09
Rick stated in post F7WdnSmqf6GTgDfX...@supernews.com on
9/11/09 2:49 AM:

Meet the needs.

For some, yes.

Meet them well.

For a fewer number, yes.

Is an equal to MS Office.

Clearly no.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]

Snit

Sep 11, 2009, 10:13:48 PM9/11/09
Rick stated in post epmdnShbpNViIzfX...@supernews.com on
9/11/09 2:19 PM:

OpenOffice: it's Decent.

They could use your endorsement in their marketing.

--
[INSERT .SIG HERE]