[News] [SOT] Murdoch Hires Vandals, According to Testimony

Roy Schestowitz

Apr 27, 2008, 12:25:17 PM4/27/08
Hacker testifies News Corp unit hired him

,----[ Quote ]
| The trial could result in hundreds of millions of dollars in damage awards.
|
| NDS, which provides security technology to a global satellite network that
| includes satellite TV service DirecTV, denies the claims, saying it was only
| engaged in reverse engineering -- looking at a technology product to
| determine how it works, a standard in the electronics industry.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2334980420080424?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&rpc=22&sp=true
http://tinyurl.com/4lyhpc

Murdock's shills, along with his vandals, make him seem no better than
Gates/Ballmer, who do the same thing.

Recent:

Times Online denies knowledge of link spam campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Piotr Wyspianski, a manager at Sitelynx, was revealed on the Waxy.org blog to
| have waged a one-man campaign to game web aggregation communities such as
| Digg, Metafilter and StumbleUpon with over a thousand links to Times Online
| stories. Before working for Sitelynx, he had form for a similar astroturfing
| effort for his own online jewellery store.
|
| Predictably, the Waxy.org story has hit the front page of Digg and some
| Diggers have piled in to condemn Times Online, blaming a conspiracy by the
| original Digger himself. "I haven't respected The Times since Murdoch bought
| it, since that effectively means I can no longer trust its content. Fuck you
| old man!" wrote one.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/31/times_online_link_spam/

Related:

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the most frustrating thing about the practice of giving
| bloggers free stuff: it pisses in the well, reducing the credibility
| of all blogs. I'm upset that people trust me less because of the
| behavior of other bloggers. Don't even get me started about PayPerPost.
|
| [...]
|
| Do not, under any circumstances, consider upgrading an XP system to
| Vista... even if it's fairly new and even if it's Vista Supremo
| Premium Ultra-Capable.
`----

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

EU cracks down on fake blogger astroturfing

,----[ Quote ]
| But back to the web, and with sneaky marketing campaigns likely to be more
| effective than upfront marketing campaigns, what is stopping companies from
| simply risking it and continuing existing practices?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/03/eu_flogging_ban/

Microsoft pays star writers to recite slogan

,----[ Quote ]
| The stodgy old media industry has a rule that newspaper reporters, and TV
| news hosts, shouldn't trade on their public trust to endorse products.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/federated-media/microsoft-pays-star-writers-to-recite-slogan-271485.php

Malik, Arrington and Battelle: X-22, come in [to Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]
| What would possess a collection of online publishers and venture capitalists
| to pimp a Microsoft advertising slogan?
|
| Valleywag today reported about a site tied to a Microsoft ad campaign
| where the likes of Michael Arrington, Om Malik and others seemingly
| lend their support to the "people-ready" catchphrase.
|
| I sent e-mails both to Arrington and Malik and--surprise,
| surprise--heard nothing back. (Obviously, they are not yet
| sufficiently "Coop-ready.") Microsoft was still checking for me into
| whether money exchanged hands. But even if not a single shekel exchanged
| hands, I must wonder about the absence of common sense. Why would
| ostensibly independent voices come across as Microsoft shills? If
| they were hoping for a free dinner with Bill Gates, there are
| smarter ways to go about it.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733995-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Darth Chaos

Apr 27, 2008, 2:28:11 PM4/27/08
On Apr 27, 12:25 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com>
wrote:

> Hacker testifies News Corp unit hired him
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The trial could result in hundreds of millions of dollars in damage awards.
> |
> | NDS, which provides security technology to a global satellite network that
> | includes satellite TV service DirecTV, denies the claims, saying it was only
> | engaged in reverse engineering -- looking at a technology product to
> | determine how it works, a standard in the electronics industry.
> `----
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2334980420080424?f...http://tinyurl.com/4lyhpc

> Murdock's shills, along with his vandals, make him seem no better than
> Gates/Ballmer, who do the same thing.

It's just one Bilderberger (Murdoch) looking out for another
(Gates). :)

Roy Schestowitz

Apr 27, 2008, 11:06:14 PM4/27/08
____/ Darth Chaos on Sunday 27 April 2008 19:28 : \____

I was warned they had been taking over Europe, gradually. France, the UK... and
more recently Italy. Next thing you know it's DMCA, software patents, 3-hit
takedown system for ISPs and DRM as 'standard' for media.

Luckily, despite digital suppression attempts (among others), awareness of the
issues is rising, thanks to Microsoft and its ilk pulling people's entire
music albums (latest DRM fiasco), bullying standards experts, and rattling
sabers.

Technology and the Net are empowering and liberating. There are some people who
are s*ing their diapers at that sight. They have the most to lose.

--
~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode
04:00:01 up 13 days, 2:12, 3 users, load average: 0.71, 0.98, 1.12