FAA Crash Apparently on Windows Network

nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu

Aug 27, 2008, 4:17:19 PM8/27/08
In addition to Tuesday's disaster, there have been earlier crashes in
the "National Airspace Data Interchange Network":

<Quote>
According to an internal FAA document, the system, called the National
Airspace Data Interchange Network, crashed on Thursday and caused in
134 departure delays. The Salt Lake City system also took over but had
problems with the high queue level, the document said. The system also
failed in June 2007.
</Quote>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/26/AR2008082602203.html?hpid=sec-nation

Network apparently runs on Windows. From "FAA Modernizing National
Airspace Data Interchange Network with Stratus ftServer systems":

<Quote>
The FAA is implementing the Stratus servers, which use Intel Xeon 2.8
MHz large cache MP processors and support the Microsoft Windows
operating system, at control centers in Atlanta and Salt Lake City.
</Quote>

http://www.stratustechnologies.com/news/2005/20050314a.htm

Research by PJ on groklaw.

Tuesday's failure originated in Atlanta. I wonder DFS had anything to
do with it. Maybe it crashed while he was busy posting Linux horror
stories.

Roy Schestowitz

Aug 27, 2008, 6:13:10 PM8/27/08

Sinister Midget

Aug 27, 2008, 7:08:14 PM8/27/08
On 2008-08-27, nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu <nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu> claimed:

> In addition to Tuesday's disaster, there have been earlier crashes in
> the "National Airspace Data Interchange Network":

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/26/AR2008082602203.html?hpid=sec-nation

> Network apparently runs on Windows. From "FAA Modernizing National
> Airspace Data Interchange Network with Stratus ftServer systems":

> Tuesday's failure originated in Atlanta. I wonder DFS had anything to

> do with it. Maybe it crashed while he was busy posting Linux horror
> stories.

He probably uploaded one of his high-demand Excel spreadsheets that he
gets paid a lot of money to work on.

--
VISTA: Very Idiotic Software Trashing Applications

Ramon F Herrera

Aug 27, 2008, 7:28:23 PM8/27/08
On Aug 27, 3:17 pm, "ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu"

<ness...@wigner.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> In addition to Tuesday's disaster, there have been earlier crashes in
> the "National Airspace Data Interchange Network":
>
> <Quote>
> According to an internal FAA document, the system, called the National
> Airspace Data Interchange Network, crashed on Thursday and caused in
> 134 departure delays. The Salt Lake City system also took over but had
> problems with the high queue level, the document said. The system also
> failed in June 2007.
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/26/AR200...

> Network apparently runs on Windows.  From "FAA Modernizing National
> Airspace Data Interchange Network with Stratus ftServer systems":
>
> <Quote>
> The FAA is implementing the Stratus servers, which use Intel Xeon 2.8
> MHz large cache MP processors and support the Microsoft Windows
> operating system, at control centers in Atlanta and Salt Lake City.
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.stratustechnologies.com/news/2005/20050314a.htm

I wonder whether it is possible to the Freedom of Information Act, in
order to get the tech skinny.

As soon as I saw the news about the computer crash, I immediately
reacted instinctively: "Aha! I bet they were running Windows!".

Then I said to myself: "Nah! That's impossible, they cannot be that
irresponsible, after all there are lives at stake".

-RFH

Psyc Geek (TAB)

Aug 27, 2008, 7:28:46 PM8/27/08

:: The FAA said the source of the computer software malfunction was
:: a "packet switch" that "failed due to a database mismatch."

This could have happened on ANY SYSTEM.
Does anybody in COLA actually read the stories?

Richard Rasker

Aug 27, 2008, 7:30:01 PM8/27/08
nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

Any day now we'll hear that his Linux tales of woe were routed through that
particular server, and simply overloaded the OS.

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl

Tim Smith

Aug 27, 2008, 8:01:10 PM8/27/08
In article
<f4a9d760-ad33-43e7...@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
> As soon as I saw the news about the computer crash, I immediately
> reacted instinctively: "Aha! I bet they were running Windows!".

Since a large majority of everything outside of internet infrastructure,
embedded devices, and business enterprise back end systems run Windows,
that's a pretty safe bet.

> Then I said to myself: "Nah! That's impossible, they cannot be that
> irresponsible, after all there are lives at stake".

Windows is very widely used for things where lives would be at stake if
it failed. Everywhere from the structural design of new building, to
controlling industrial robots, to running the navigation systems on
fishing and cargo vessels, you'll find Windows firmly entrenched.

--
--Tim Smith

Jerry McBride

Aug 27, 2008, 8:35:18 PM8/27/08
Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

Funny it happened on a HIGHLY tested and CERTIFIED OS and Hardware mix...
And whats up with "having to be rebooted" all the time?

--

Jerry McBride (jmcb...@mail-on.us)

Rex Ballard

Aug 27, 2008, 9:45:34 PM8/27/08
On Aug 27, 8:35 pm, Jerry McBride <jmcbr...@mail-on.us> wrote:
> Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

> > :: The FAA said the source of the computer software malfunction was
> > :: a "packet switch" that "failed due to a database mismatch."

> > This could have happened on ANY SYSTEM.

> Funny it happened on a HIGHLY tested and CERTIFIED OS and Hardware mix...

> And whats up with "having to be rebooted" all the time?

I remember working for a competitor to Stratus, and later being a
customer. When you
used the Stratus UNIX system you turned it on and it took an act of
god to bring it down.
Many of their systems had 99.99% uptime PER SERVER. In addition,
their cut-over was
very fast and reliable, so it pretty easy to get 99.999% availablity -
which translates to 5 minutes
of down-time PER YEAR, and that didn't include exclusions for
"maintenance" or for "backups" or
for "routine reboots".

Windows was down for several HOURS for TWO YEARS IN A ROW!! Add to
that an hour a week for "routine mantenance" and "routine reboots".
That drops the availability down to about 98%.

> Jerry McBride (jmcbr...@mail-on.us)

Moshe Goldfarb.

Aug 27, 2008, 10:44:36 PM8/27/08

FAA systems get re-booted all the time and usually at least once a week.

It's called an IPL....

All systems are mirrored and they do a switch over to test.

One thing the article mentioned that is true is that they have been cutting
the performance and testing phases of upcoming hardware/software upgrades
in order to get this stuff out to the field.

Why?

Because the current system is at least 10 years, yes 10 years behind what
is available now.
And that is a conservative estimate.

But of course the OSS mouthpiece Groklaw says something so it has to be
true.
No wonder the credibility of that site is tanking lately.

I have to laugh watching you armchair losers trying your best to blame this
on Microsoft, and it might very well turn out that way but the interesting
part is how little you really know about this situation yet how rabid and
zealot like you act.

It just confirms my suspeician that most of you have no clue how a glass
house operates and how systems are used in the real world.
Your P3 running Linux doesn't count, although it might be a step up for the
FAA in some cases.

BTW here is a link I just found which confirms what I was telling you.
BTW they are WAY behind in the upgrade.

Take note of the machine type and the 370 instruction set, which I
mentioned in my OP.

Read it and weep, or run and slink like you usually do.

http://www.gcn.com/print/vol19_no8/1711-1.html#

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

Moshe Goldfarb.

Aug 27, 2008, 11:00:37 PM8/27/08

The people in this group have no idea what they are talking about.
I often wonder how many of them actually earn their living in the
information technology field.

See my other post to back up my claims...

BTW I make a game of looking at monitors that may be running in the
background on various science channel programs and 9 times out of 10 they
are running either Windows or OSX.

Rex Ballard

Aug 28, 2008, 12:03:10 AM8/28/08
On Aug 27, 6:13 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com>
wrote:

> > Network apparently runs on Windows.  From "FAA Modernizing National
> > Airspace Data Interchange Network with Stratus ftServer systems":

> > <Quote>
> > The FAA is implementing the Stratus servers, which use Intel Xeon 2.8
> > MHz large cache MP processors and support the Microsoft Windows
> > operating system, at control centers in Atlanta and Salt Lake City.
> > </Quote>

Stratus made some amazing computers, many of which were extremely
trusted. But in those days, those computers ran UNIX, not Windows.
After (how many?) crashes since the deployment of the Windows versions
I wonder if the FAA is thinking about switching back to the UNIX
versions. We know of the ones in 2008 and June 8 2007, but how many
other Windows related delays have there been since the system was
deployed in 2005, and in both of the two public failures, the recovery
time was several hours.

Hadron

Aug 28, 2008, 12:14:32 AM8/28/08
"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:01:10 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <f4a9d760-ad33-43e7...@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
>> Ramon F Herrera <ra...@conexus.net> wrote:
>>> As soon as I saw the news about the computer crash, I immediately
>>> reacted instinctively: "Aha! I bet they were running Windows!".
>>
>> Since a large majority of everything outside of internet infrastructure,
>> embedded devices, and business enterprise back end systems run Windows,
>> that's a pretty safe bet.
>>
>>> Then I said to myself: "Nah! That's impossible, they cannot be that
>>> irresponsible, after all there are lives at stake".
>>
>> Windows is very widely used for things where lives would be at stake if
>> it failed. Everywhere from the structural design of new building, to
>> controlling industrial robots, to running the navigation systems on
>> fishing and cargo vessels, you'll find Windows firmly entrenched.
>
> The people in this group have no idea what they are talking about.
> I often wonder how many of them actually earn their living in the
> information technology field.

Lets see:

Tattoo Vampire is an estate agent

High Plains Hypocrite uses windows at work

chrisv runs an off license or something

spamowitz lives in a University cell

etc etc

Laughable isn't it?

Hadron

Aug 28, 2008, 12:15:49 AM8/28/08
Sinister Midget <fardb...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2008-08-27, nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu <nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu> claimed:
>> In addition to Tuesday's disaster, there have been earlier crashes in
>> the "National Airspace Data Interchange Network":
>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/26/AR2008082602203.html?hpid=sec-nation
>>
>> Network apparently runs on Windows. From "FAA Modernizing National
>> Airspace Data Interchange Network with Stratus ftServer systems":
>
>> Tuesday's failure originated in Atlanta. I wonder DFS had anything to
>> do with it. Maybe it crashed while he was busy posting Linux horror
>> stories.
>
> He probably uploaded one of his high-demand Excel spreadsheets that he
> gets paid a lot of money to work on.

Erm, people get paid a LOT of money to design good spreadsheets with
interfaces to a back end DBMS.

What is your point?

The Ghost In The Machine

Aug 28, 2008, 12:47:32 AM8/28/08
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
<hadro...@gmail.com>
wrote
on Thu, 28 Aug 2008 06:15:49 +0200
<g958q4$qbi$2...@registered.motzarella.org>:

Not to mention that that back end DBMS could be anything
from MS SQL Server to a high-powered SAS affair, though
many would probably just go with Oracle.

All of these are drivable from Linux Java and Windows ODBC.

The failure originated somewhere else, and undetectably.
The issue apparently was a combination of Hampton crashing
and the backup in Salt Lake City overloading and bogging
down, presumably because nobody tested it in such a
real-world failure scenario.

Basically, nobody could file flight plans, and hundreds of
flights had to be cancelled.

They're still looking for the actual cause, but it looks
to be distributed.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

Linonut

Aug 28, 2008, 7:37:25 AM8/28/08

> BTW here is a link I just found which confirms what I was telling you.
> BTW they are WAY behind in the upgrade.
>
> Take note of the machine type and the 370 instruction set, which I
> mentioned in my OP.
>
> Read it and weep, or run and slink like you usually do.
>
> http://www.gcn.com/print/vol19_no8/1711-1.html

Why would we weep or run/slink about it?

Besides, that article is 8 years old. What actually was done /today/?

--
First as to speech. That privilege rests upon the premise that
there is no proposition so uniformly acknowledged that it may not be

Linonut

Aug 28, 2008, 7:47:07 AM8/28/08
* The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

> Basically, nobody could file flight plans, and hundreds of
> flights had to be cancelled.

> They're still looking for the actual cause, but it looks
> to be distributed.

That article mentions NADIN. Here's a description of it:

http://www.stratustechnologies.com/news/2005/20050314a.htm

The FAA is implementing the Stratus servers, which use Intel Xeon 2.8
MHz large cache MP processors and support the Microsoft Windows
operating system, at control centers in Atlanta and Salt Lake City.

Uninterrupted availability of the NADIN 1 is important to all aspects
of the aviation industry, as well as the nation's economy and,
increasingly, as a tool to help protect national security. After
thorough technology and product evaluations, Stratus was chosen as
best able to provide an open platform with 99.999 percent uptime
reliability -- which is mandatory for running an application as
important as NADIN 1 -- together with the required caliber of
maintenance, logistical support, and long service life.

So it was Windows. In 2005.

Never trust a COLA poster (even myself, but especially flatfish) --
follow it up yourself.

So how does the Wall Street Journal characterize the Windows-based
NADIN system?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121988583932078345.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

FAA Rushes to Fix Aging
System That Caused Delays

Aging? It's only three freakin' years old, and it's already decrepit?
Apparently:

The Federal Aviation Administration said it is overhauling an
error-prone computer system that caused hundreds of delayed flights
Tuesday.

Error-prone? Is that Stratus's direct fault (bad code), or indirect
fault (bad choice of problematic platform)?

However, NADIN is apparently not just Windows:

...said the agency would accelerate its upgrade of the fraying Nadin
system, which dates back to the 1980s. An improved version with
vastly higher memory will be installed by the end of the year, he
said, with improvements noticeable by the end of September.

The article also talks about a Harris telcom system.

There is obviously a /lot/ going on in the background in this story.

--
Ten of the meanest cons in the state pen met in the corner of the yard to
shoot some craps. The stakes were enormous, the tension palpable.

Linonut

Aug 28, 2008, 7:48:54 AM8/28/08

Or Irix.

I got a good chuckle out of seeing "xterm" in a window caption one time.

--
Boss: You forgot to assign the result of your map!
Hacker: Dang, I'm always forgetting my assignations...

nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu

Aug 28, 2008, 9:22:20 AM8/28/08
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121988583932078345.html?mod=googlenew...

> FAA Rushes to Fix Aging
> System That Caused Delays
>
> Aging? It's only three freakin' years old, and it's already decrepit?
> Apparently:

Yeah, and at 99.999% up time, it can only have 1 hour down every 11
years. So far it's been quite a lot more than that in 3 years.

DFS

Aug 28, 2008, 11:02:40 AM8/28/08
Sinister Midget wrote:
> On 2008-08-27, nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu
> <nes...@wigner.berkeley.edu> claimed:
>> In addition to Tuesday's disaster, there have been earlier crashes in
>> the "National Airspace Data Interchange Network":
>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/26/AR2008082602203.html?hpid=sec-nation
>>
>> Network apparently runs on Windows. From "FAA Modernizing National
>> Airspace Data Interchange Network with Stratus ftServer systems":
>
>> Tuesday's failure originated in Atlanta. I wonder DFS had anything
>> to do with it. Maybe it crashed while he was busy posting Linux
>> horror stories.
>
> He probably uploaded one of his high-demand Excel spreadsheets that he
> gets paid a lot of money to work on.

Poor jealous Gidget.

Here's how I double your earnings:

Public Function foundDSN(dsnName As String, odbcINIfile As String) As
Boolean
foundDSN = False
If Dir(odbcINIfile) <> "" Then
Open odbcINIfile For Input Access Read As #1
Do Until EOF(1)
Line Input #1, sTxt
If Left(sTxt, Len(dsnName)) = dsnName Then
foundDSN = True
Close #1
Exit Function
End If
Loop
Close #1
End If

End Function

Here's how I triple your earnings:

Public Function nextKey(tblName As String) As Long
Call DeleteQuery("Q_NextKey")

Set qItem = db.CreateQueryDef("Q_NextKey")
qItem.ReturnsRecords = True
qItem.Connect = "ODBC;DSN=dsn;UID=id;PWD=pwd"
qItem.ODBCTimeout = 15
qItem.SQL = "EXEC owner.sp_nextkey """ & tblName & """"
qItem.Close
db.QueryDefs.Refresh

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("Q_NextKey")
nextKey = rs(0)
rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing

Call DeleteQuery("Q_NextKey")
End Function

And here's how I quadruple your earnings:

Dim objPutStream As Object
Set objPutStream = objPutDoc.GetPropertyValue("%CONTENT")

Dim bData() As Byte, readBytes As Long
ReDim bData(FileLen(docPath))
readBytes = FileLen(docPath)

Open docPath For Binary Access Read Lock Read As #1
Get #1, , bData
objPutStream.Write bData, readBytes
objPutStream.SetComplete
Close #1

Set objPutStream = Nothing

Moshe Goldfarb.

Aug 28, 2008, 11:20:21 AM8/28/08
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:37:25 -0400, Linonut wrote:

> * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> BTW here is a link I just found which confirms what I was telling you.
>> BTW they are WAY behind in the upgrade.
>>
>> Take note of the machine type and the 370 instruction set, which I
>> mentioned in my OP.
>>
>> Read it and weep, or run and slink like you usually do.
>>
>> http://www.gcn.com/print/vol19_no8/1711-1.html
>
> Why would we weep or run/slink about it?
>
> Besides, that article is 8 years old. What actually was done /today/?

As of yesterday, most of it is STILL running in the FAA centers.....
They are way behind.

As for your other article, it is flawed but I am not at liberty to speak
about it. Suffice to say when they are talking "aging systems" while they
IMPLY recent Windows systems in the article, they are really speaking of
the entire infrastructure which if you saw it you would probably never fly
again and not because of Windows.
Additionally the new platform has been under test for a couple of years and
IS being deployed slowly, very slowly so the OVERALL SYSTEM, is a complex
hybrid.
The IBM 9672 GEN 1 mainframes running 370 code ARE STILL IN OPERATION with
2 of them at each site. They along with the AIX systems the controllers at
the centers use are DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for tracking the planes.
IOW the little triangles you see on the screens.

Like I said, you guys have no clue.....

Tim Smith

Aug 28, 2008, 12:19:47 PM8/28/08
In article <wlpvvyi027lr$.1pjlp3xt...@40tude.net>,

"Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW I make a game of looking at monitors that may be running in the
> background on various science channel programs and 9 times out of 10 they
> are running either Windows or OSX.

Same on History channel. A lot of episodes of "Modern Marvels" go to
interesting factories or labs, and you see Windows all over those places.

Some examples of the kind of places I've spotted Windows on History,
Discovery, National Geographic, etc.:

* A show about the "Water Cube" building in Beijing (a remarkable
building). Looks like the engineering work was pretty much all done on
Windows, including design, structural analysis, analysis of earthquake
response, analysis of fire spread and evacuation speed, etc. I didn't
see any signs of non-Windows computers.

* On "America's Port" (a show that chronicles activity at the Port of
Los Angeles), the computers handling the navigation and steering
controls on nearly all the giant cargo ships seems to be Windows.
Various computers in port operations all seemed to be Windows.

* The fishing fleets in the Bering Sea and the North Atlantic seem to be
heavy on Windows in the wheel house of the boats.

And you know what? Windows works fine for all these things. So would
DOS. So would OS/2. So would Linux. So would OS X. These various
industrial and scientific systems aren't like desktops--you don't have
people installing random third-party software on them. In a controlled
environment, pretty much any OS is OK. In an uncontrolled environment,
they all have problems.

--
--Tim Smith

Linonut

Aug 28, 2008, 5:56:52 PM8/28/08

> In article <wlpvvyi027lr$.1pjlp3xt...@40tude.net>,
> "Moshe Goldfarb." <brick_...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTW I make a game of looking at monitors that may be running in the
>> background on various science channel programs and 9 times out of 10 they
>> are running either Windows or OSX.
>
> Same on History channel. A lot of episodes of "Modern Marvels" go to
> interesting factories or labs, and you see Windows all over those places.

Wow! Lots of people use Windows!

That's some hard news there!

> And you know what? Windows works fine for all these things. So would
> DOS. So would OS/2. So would Linux. So would OS X. These various
> industrial and scientific systems aren't like desktops--you don't have
> people installing random third-party software on them. In a controlled
> environment, pretty much any OS is OK. In an uncontrolled environment,
> they all have problems.

I heartily agree (except that I find Windows cumbersome).

--
Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach.
-- S. C. Johnson