Early adopters struggle with Windows 8.1 update

Crabbit Bampot

Oct 17, 2013, 12:58:46 PM10/17/13
<http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2301354/early-adopters-struggle-with-windows-81-update>

<quote>
Microsoft's Windows 8.1 is upon us, launched at midday UK time today
and boasting a raft of improvements, including something vaguely
resembling the Start Button of yore.

Of course, many of our readers will already be familiar with its
wonders, but others will still be struggling like an Apple fanboi on
new iOS day. We would love to hear your reports of how you've got on
with Windows 8.1 in the comments below.

Our day started at 0820 with the discovery that we could no longer
download anything from the Windows 8 Store. Our machine has had the
preview version of Windows 8.1 running all summer, and now it seems to
be very much out of date. As Microsoft had offered both a public
preview edition and a closed RTM, there are likely to be a lot of
INQUIRER readers in the same boat.

For anyone else who is upgrading from the preview, Microsoft has some
advice. However, prepare for a shock, as your apps and programs will
be wiped out, though Microsoft assures us that your personal data will
be saved. This does not apply to anyone upgrading from Windows 7 or
Windows 8, just the prerelease versions of Windows 8.1.
</quote>

--
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their
level and beat you with experience.

chrisv

Oct 17, 2013, 1:19:09 PM10/17/13
Crabbit Bampot wrote:

><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2301354/early-adopters-struggle-with-windows-81-update>
>
><quote>
>However, prepare for a shock, as your apps and programs will
>be wiped out, though Microsoft assures us that your personal data will
>be saved. This does not apply to anyone upgrading from Windows 7 or
>Windows 8, just the prerelease versions of Windows 8.1.
></quote>

Well, no one should expect monopoly slopware to be as elegantly
designed and functional as GNU/Linux. Micro$oft's priorities are
controlling and taxing their users, not doing things the best way.

--
"There is no valid reason to create a seperate partition for user
data." - Erik Funkenbusch

Ezekiel

Oct 17, 2013, 1:38:34 PM10/17/13
"Crabbit Bampot" <crabbit...@gmail.com> wrote in message
So in other words the upgrade works fine for everyone upgrading from Win7 or
Win8. It's just people who installed the pre-release beta/rtm version of 8.1
who were warned in the release notes that an upgrade to the release version
will not be available.

Once again - this is a Linux advocacy newsgroup. Good thing that people here
aren't interested in reading about Microsoft or it's products... right?

--
"Knowing 'Word or Excel' is a hindrance."
The "Hardon" moron (now "Crabbit Bampot")

28 Mar 2012 19:37:14
<KLJcr.103621$4c4....@news.usenetserver.com>

Lloyd

Oct 17, 2013, 1:53:45 PM10/17/13
In article <vm6069t35kolk929c...@4ax.com>,
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Crabbit Bampot wrote:
>
> ><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2301354/early-adopters-struggle-wit
> >h-windows-81-update>
> >
> ><quote>
> >However, prepare for a shock, as your apps and programs will
> >be wiped out, though Microsoft assures us that your personal data will
> >be saved. This does not apply to anyone upgrading from Windows 7 or
> >Windows 8, just the prerelease versions of Windows 8.1.
> ></quote>
>
> Well, no one should expect monopoly slopware to be as elegantly
> designed and functional as GNU/Linux. Micro$oft's priorities are
> controlling and taxing their users, not doing things the best way.

Quite a stretch, even for you Chris.

I got the Preview version and was informed prior to the install that
when the final was released it WOULD wipe out all the programs. I had a
choice before I installed to decline those terms.

Anyway, I got the 8.1 update just fine, easy and slick as Windows and
OSX updates generally are. Installed the couple of applications I
needed on it and I was good to go.

Ezekiel

Oct 17, 2013, 2:02:01 PM10/17/13
"Lloyd" <lloydp...@me.com> wrote in message
> In article <vm6069t35kolk929c...@4ax.com>,
> chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Crabbit Bampot wrote:
>>
>> ><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2301354/early-adopters-struggle-wit
>> >h-windows-81-update>
>> >
>> ><quote>
>> >However, prepare for a shock, as your apps and programs will
>> >be wiped out, though Microsoft assures us that your personal data will
>> >be saved. This does not apply to anyone upgrading from Windows 7 or
>> >Windows 8, just the prerelease versions of Windows 8.1.
>> ></quote>
>>
>> Well, no one should expect monopoly slopware to be as elegantly
>> designed and functional as GNU/Linux. Micro$oft's priorities are
>> controlling and taxing their users, not doing things the best way.
>
> Quite a stretch, even for you Chris.
>
> I got the Preview version and was informed prior to the install that
> when the final was released it WOULD wipe out all the programs. I had a
> choice before I installed to decline those terms.

And this information wasn't hidden in some "fine print" either. It was
clearly and plainly stated that this is a preview that would stop
functioning after the actual product is released and that there is no
upgrade path.

It looks like the only people complaining about this are the same people who
have a difficult time reading simple English.

--
It takes a special breed of dishonest idiot, like "Ezekiel", to twist
"founder" into "fail".

[ Founder (verb) - To become wrecked; *fail* utterly:
"The project foundered because public support was lacking."
]

The illiterate chrisv - Too ignorant to use a dictionary.
Mar 22, 2012

Lloyd

Oct 17, 2013, 2:11:30 PM10/17/13
In article <l3p8mq$u2p$1...@dont-email.me>,
That's correct, it was very plainly and obviously presented before the
installation of the Win 8.1 Preview version was installed or downloaded.
I don't know anyone that would have missed that.

Well, maybe chrisv! :)

chrisv

Oct 17, 2013, 2:12:00 PM10/17/13
Lloyd wrote:

> chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Well, no one should expect monopoly slopware to be as elegantly
>> designed and functional as GNU/Linux. Micro$oft's priorities are
>> controlling and taxing their users, not doing things the best way.
>
>Quite a stretch, even for you Chris.

Not really.

There is no question that there are design trade-offs where the most
elegant solution cannot be used, because "IP" interests must be
protected, or fees must be collected. DRM is but one obvious example.

>I got the Preview version and was informed prior to the install that
>when the final was released it WOULD wipe out all the programs. I had a
>choice before I installed to decline those terms.
>
>Anyway, I got the 8.1 update just fine, easy and slick as Windows and
>OSX updates generally are. Installed the couple of applications I
>needed on it and I was good to go.

Perhaps, in this case, M$ had perfectly valid reasons for doing things
the way they did. I don't begrudge them for charging for their
software, or for taking reasonable steps to make things difficult for
pirates.

But there is truth in my original point, above.

flatfish+++

Oct 17, 2013, 2:15:37 PM10/17/13
Yep.
That was the main reason why I did NOT install the preview version.

It was plainly splattered all over the place so those who installed
it should have no excuse now.

--
flatfish+++
Thinking of trying Linux?

PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

Lloyd

Oct 17, 2013, 2:16:57 PM10/17/13
In article <fj9069558qrs964ir...@4ax.com>,
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Lloyd wrote:
>
> > chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> >>
> >> Well, no one should expect monopoly slopware to be as elegantly
> >> designed and functional as GNU/Linux. Micro$oft's priorities are
> >> controlling and taxing their users, not doing things the best way.
> >
> >Quite a stretch, even for you Chris.
>
> Not really.
>
> There is no question that there are design trade-offs where the most
> elegant solution cannot be used, because "IP" interests must be
> protected, or fees must be collected. DRM is but one obvious example.

I don't think it had anything to do with DRM in this case. I suspect,
but do not know, that there were things that were done in the Preview
version that could cause some application issues if they didn't do it
this way.

And since they warned prior to downloading and again during the install
of the Preview version that would happen, there is zero reason for user
complaints.

> >I got the Preview version and was informed prior to the install that
> >when the final was released it WOULD wipe out all the programs. I had a
> >choice before I installed to decline those terms.
> >
> >Anyway, I got the 8.1 update just fine, easy and slick as Windows and
> >OSX updates generally are. Installed the couple of applications I
> >needed on it and I was good to go.
>
> Perhaps, in this case, M$ had perfectly valid reasons for doing things
> the way they did. I don't begrudge them for charging for their
> software, or for taking reasonable steps to make things difficult for
> pirates.

They didn't charge for this update, it was a point update to Windows 8.
Pretty good update as far as I can tell right now.

flatfish+++

Oct 17, 2013, 2:17:27 PM10/17/13
They are a bunch of hypocrites.

chrisv

Oct 17, 2013, 2:17:48 PM10/17/13
> Kreep wrote:
>>
>> And this information wasn't hidden in some "fine print" either.

Compared to your inability to recognize the obvious fact that M$ has
monopoly power in the desktop market, it's "fine print", fsckwit.

--
"I could just as easily counter that Android vendors are more easily
controlled (than are PC OEM's, by Microsoft)." - trolling fsckwit

Snit

Oct 17, 2013, 2:20:36 PM10/17/13
On 10/17/13 11:12 AM, in article fj9069558qrs964ir...@4ax.com,
"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Perhaps, in this case, M$ had perfectly valid reasons for doing things
> the way they did. I don't begrudge them for charging for their
> software, or for taking reasonable steps to make things difficult for
> pirates.

Really good to see your views evolve like this. Sincerely.

--
"On desktops, Linux has had a hard time cracking the 1 per cent mark,
although some of the web analytics companies now put it at around 1.5 per

chrisv

Oct 17, 2013, 2:19:45 PM10/17/13
Lloyd wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> There is no question that there are design trade-offs where the most
>> elegant solution cannot be used, because "IP" interests must be
>> protected, or fees must be collected. DRM is but one obvious example.
>
>I don't think it had anything to do with DRM in this case.

I did not mean to imply that it did.

--
'Evil "Linux using Company" Google are forcing their customers onto
the "upgrade" cycle ... Imagine if this was MS! LOL!'

Lloyd

Oct 17, 2013, 2:23:46 PM10/17/13
In article <da0qcip5n5t9.10...@40tude.net>,
In my case it wasn't a big deal. I run Playon, Calibre' and my new
Office365 stuff on it. All dead simple to reinstall and the data was
kept and not erased. Just not a big deal.

Had I been in a more critical situation, I wouldn't have gotten the
preview at all.

Lloyd

Oct 17, 2013, 2:24:24 PM10/17/13
In article <5fa069lnjapf7r70p...@4ax.com>,
chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Lloyd wrote:
>
> > chrisv wrote:
> >>
> >> There is no question that there are design trade-offs where the most
> >> elegant solution cannot be used, because "IP" interests must be
> >> protected, or fees must be collected. DRM is but one obvious example.
> >
> >I don't think it had anything to do with DRM in this case.
>
> I did not mean to imply that it did.

OK, we're cool! :)

chrisv

Oct 17, 2013, 2:26:37 PM10/17/13
Lloyd wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps, in this case, M$ had perfectly valid reasons for doing things
>> the way they did. I don't begrudge them for charging for their
>> software, or for taking reasonable steps to make things difficult for
>> pirates.
>
>They didn't charge for this update, it was a point update to Windows 8.

Yes, but don't forget that their entire OS is architected around the
fact that it is payware. This, combined with their desire to allow
free trials of betaware and such, can lead to "jumping through hoops"
situations, like this, that would be obviated in the FOSS world.

Lloyd

Oct 17, 2013, 2:57:06 PM10/17/13
In article <kma069hklcuro94od...@4ax.com>,
Unfortunately for the FOSS world on the desktop, the slickness and
overall useability of the OS will keep it as top dog.

chrisv

Oct 17, 2013, 3:17:27 PM10/17/13
Lloyd wrote:

>Unfortunately for the FOSS world on the desktop, the slickness and
>overall useability of the OS will keep it as top dog.

Desktop Tiles® "slick" and "useable"? You must be joking.

Momentum, applications, and industry support will keep it as top dog.

--
"One corrupt document sent into work could cost them their job."
"Hadron", FUD'ing Open Office

Brad Wiggins

Oct 17, 2013, 6:04:06 PM10/17/13
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:20:36 PM UTC-4, Snit wrote:

"I didn't realize he would keep babbling 'Support your accusation' even in the face of direct evidence of his lies. Oh well. I finally decided to killfile him again (my only entry)." : DFS
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/u0a1nFKmwAI/uscrUGn0_9UJ>

"Yep. I admit I was sucked in. In the dumper….." : Torre Starnes
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/u0a1nFKmwAI/0gH_dRq86oEJ>

"The only problem is that your accusation of what they're doing is Libel, because what you're claiming is flat out wrong. If anything, I'm increasingly tempted to loan a couple of hours of one of my lawyers to Wally to file a lawsuit against you for libel to teach you a lesson." : hh
<http://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/6nNXQjVJ50s/48NBwLhw0dUJ>

"That's your claim of what they've said. By my reading, they've said something very different." : hh
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/6nNXQjVJ50s/OqU3uiRG9K8J>

"What Snit did is extend and interpret Stallman's quotes in the most disturbing way possible, then added the specific lie about 'child rape' which Stallman never mentioned. That lie could get Snit in trouble if Stallman wasn't already known publicly as a wacko." : DFS
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/Nw6HBacPjBI/GYo_zGDNRwQJ>

"I never really noticed before because I observed casually but now that unfortunately I am involved, I see the tactics he uses." : Foster
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/XHdx8-7rmBk/-J_eoUtAHqAJ>

"It is, however, a very clear example of how you attempt to maliciously debase against anyone who disagrees with you. As such, I consider this to be a purposeful attempt by you to try to libel me. This is your only warning to consider rescinding your remark, with the reminder that you, and you alone are responsible for that accusation, both in the ethical as well as the full legal meaning of the word 'responsible'." : hh
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/6nNXQjVJ50s/OikmNBpkllQJ>

"Proof doesn't matter. Snit will lie that the proof he lied isn't actually proof he lied. I can't say incessantly, but it's frequent enough to have surpassed most of the 'advocates'. I do. Kohlmann never said it, but Snit claimed he did. Along with many others, I've already provided proof of his lies and if you read my posts you saw it. Not going to do it again." : DFS
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/rRBgrv6n4KY/Vla86YNkMCgJ>

"Sorry snit. You can call me whatever you want, the facts are clear for anyone to hear. And you can try and explain it any way you please but trust me you are barely treading water." : Foster
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/iKSNIOmGitI/mxJM1ZqILEsJ>

"It really is hypocrisy on a grand scale." : hh
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/KacwrKFenV4/h6EO-OmS7gEJ>

"Snit didn't surpass them collectively, but individually he lies much more than every "advocate" except Kingmaker, Mr President, turd, Hypocrite and maybe Creepy." : DFS
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/rRBgrv6n4KY/IJPF6tEGLlYJ>

"Michael is afraid ... nay, terrified ... that his wife will find out what he's been doing. Mentioning that is what sets him off with the employer threats (if he's able to), etc." : hh
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/KacwrKFenV4/FDgUeY3SNKQJ>

"You lied about Bilk earlier today:" : DFS
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/rRBgrv6n4KY/lPGt-qgr6Z0J>

"But for you to not tell the whole story - - correctly - - is also dishonest. Probably more so." : hh
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/yZf9FaA1Gy0/iyfuTaAowb0J>

"Dumbkopf never once made that claim. You're lying." : DFS
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/PSGL9B3FYts/AUJFwHLEFgcJ>

"I'm learning more about this lunatic than I've ever wanted to know. Sheesh!" : Torre Starnes
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/N_tgwN1RMoM/CMjI7VT_BB8J>

"Irrelevant, since your manipulation attempt (hardly new on CSMA) was to try to deny that part-time Pros even exist." : hh
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/yZf9FaA1Gy0/Tpkgj_G9k6sJ>

"There is no question that snit is Onion Knight." : flatfish+++
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/OeTkRp0bjQ8/jPJZ1XDm4qwJ>

"Both statements can't be true, and it doesn't matter which one is the lie: Michael Glasser: Catch-22 PWNED." : hh
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/YWgVYdgHSqY/181qgzH_3CQJ>

"Nobody believes a liar...... You are a liar snit." : Foster
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/WmJTKXBBEoE/4O5LkDpcCcgJ>

"First of all snit, you are far from honest. You are a completely dishonest troll. At least Ahlstrom works to help support the family. Unlike you, who sits in newsgroups 24x7 seeking attention while someone else, apparently your wife, supports the family. So apologies to Ahlstrom for comparing him to a dead beat like you, snit." : Torre Starnes
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/TIuCnlpqfrg/5WYhOONM7GwJ>

"Bottom line is it's a very lame attempt at sock puppetry." : Torre Starnes
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/N_tgwN1RMoM/cWXo9BgLKX8J>

--
"When the OS is sold then the OS marketshare matters." : Ezekiel, chickenshit hypocrite, letting everyone know that when the OS is not sold then the OS marketshare doesn't matter. LOL.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.linux.advocacy/5qXJNF6CQWM/fNkKgGgdMzwJ>

RonB

Oct 17, 2013, 9:14:14 PM10/17/13
On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:58:46 +0000, Crabbit Bampot wrote:

> <quote>

> For anyone else who is upgrading from the preview, Microsoft has some
> advice. However, prepare for a shock, as your apps and programs will be
> wiped out, though Microsoft assures us that your personal data will be
> saved. This does not apply to anyone upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows
> 8, just the prerelease versions of Windows 8.1.
> </quote>

Those fun-loving folks at Microsoft just instinctively know how to make
friends, don't they?

--
"Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist
that there is no God." --Heywood Broun

RonB

Oct 17, 2013, 9:15:09 PM10/17/13
On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:19:09 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Crabbit Bampot wrote:
>
>><http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2301354/early-adopters-
struggle-with-windows-81-update>

>><quote>
>>However, prepare for a shock, as your apps and programs will be wiped
>>out, though Microsoft assures us that your personal data will be saved.
>>This does not apply to anyone upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8,
>>just the prerelease versions of Windows 8.1.
>></quote>
>
> Well, no one should expect monopoly slopware to be as elegantly designed
> and functional as GNU/Linux. Micro$oft's priorities are controlling and
> taxing their users, not doing things the best way.

Microsoft is good at being a corporate thug and at ... well, that's just
about it.

Chris Ahlstrom

Oct 18, 2013, 5:56:18 AM10/18/13
chrisv wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Lloyd wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately for the FOSS world on the desktop, the slickness and
>>overall useability of the OS will keep it as top dog.
>
> Desktop Tiles® "slick" and "useable"? You must be joking.

Well, Tiles is a new feature that has some coolness to it.
Some like it, some don't.

More importantly, it's almost like having a separate install, not
a second integrated view of the system.

> Momentum, applications, and industry support will keep it as top dog.

Indeed.

> --
> "One corrupt document sent into work could cost them their job."
> "Hadron", FUD'ing Open Office

Heh. One time Microsoft Excel changed the formatting of a tabloid-sized,
carefully formatted engineering spreadsheet, just because I had a
*different default printer* specified, than the author of the
spreadsheet.

I got fired over that one. (Just kidding!)

--
You had mail, but the super-user read it, and deleted it!

chrisv

Oct 18, 2013, 8:09:01 AM10/18/13
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>>
>> Desktop TilesŽ "slick" and "useable"? You must be joking.
>
>Well, Tiles is a new feature that has some coolness to it.
>Some like it, some don't.
>
>More importantly, it's almost like having a separate install, not
>a second integrated view of the system.

Is "Hadron" moaning about the inconsistency?

I suppose he doesn't get paid to say bad things about M$ products...

>> --
>> "One corrupt document sent into work could cost them their job."
>> "Hadron", FUD'ing Open Office
>
>Heh. One time Microsoft Excel changed the formatting of a tabloid-sized,
>carefully formatted engineering spreadsheet, just because I had a
>*different default printer* specified, than the author of the
>spreadsheet.
>
>I got fired over that one. (Just kidding!)

Well, yeah, lots of people get fired for an honest "mistake" like
inadvertently "corrupting" a document. FFS, if that's the way it is,
you're probably better-off working for someone else, anyway.

Worst case, one can always re-do the work, right? How many hours
could have passed since the "corruption" occurred, undetected?

But a monopolist supporter like "Hadron" has to spread his FUD... He
really is a creep.

--
"Yes, theres choice alright - that buggy heap of shit, or that one, or
that one.... etc etc etc." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

flatfish+++

Oct 18, 2013, 9:09:37 AM10/18/13
On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 05:56:18 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> "One corrupt document sent into work could cost them their job."
>> "Hadron", FUD'ing Open Office
>
> Heh. One time Microsoft Excel changed the formatting of a tabloid-sized,
> carefully formatted engineering spreadsheet, just because I had a
> *different default printer* specified, than the author of the
> spreadsheet.
>
> I got fired over that one. (Just kidding!)

Probably one of those documents you converted to OpenOffice and then
back to Microsoft Office.......Chris Ahlstrom.....