M$ ships 1.5 million WP7 phones to...nowhere

Anonymous

Dec 24, 2010, 2:20:01 AM12/24/10
http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/microsoft-ships-15-million-windows-
phone-7-devices-retailers-934

"We're on a road to nowhere
Come on inside
Takin' that ride to nowhere
We'll take that ride"

- Talking Heads

STUFFING THE CHANNEL!! STUFFING THE CHANNEL!! STUFFING THE CHANNEL!!

They sold about 40.000 phones the first week and must now be up to
100.000 including the 50.000 they gave away to every Microsoft employee.

Hardon

Dec 24, 2010, 4:24:16 AM12/24/10

The first WP7 on amazon uk best selling smartphones is the SAMSUNG
Omnia 7 at position 107! That's with a 29% reduced sale price.

Steel

Dec 24, 2010, 4:47:37 AM12/24/10

They need to lock-up Anonymous up. It's always on a ride to nowhere.

Terry Porter

Dec 24, 2010, 5:12:29 PM12/24/10
Hardon wrote:

Awesome!

Maybe that's how microsoft sold 1.000000 phones in the first 6 weeks ?

--
This quadcore running Gnu/Linux Gentoo:
http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

amicus_curious

Dec 24, 2010, 10:03:35 AM12/24/10

"Anonymous" <nob...@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote in message

> "We're on a road to nowhere

Perhaps, but remember how you all sneered at the Xbox some years ago. They
had to spend 3 billion bucks to get into the market, but now Xbox is
generating more than 2 billion bucks in profits each year and the Xbox is
the market leader. That is the power of advertising. What do you really
think will happen with the Windows Phone?

Hadron

Dec 24, 2010, 10:12:12 AM12/24/10
"amicus_curious" <ac...@sti.net> writes:

Also the result of a damned good games machine. I have a PS3 but haven't
seen anything to make me think its better than the XBox : contrary to
what I thought a couple of years ago. The games coming out on the xbox
are astonishing. The new Halo, for example, is a work of art. At the
very least they compare well.

TomB

Dec 24, 2010, 10:40:25 AM12/24/10
On 2010-12-24, the following emerged from the brain of Hadron:

The XBox is a good console, that's for sure. It had its share of
problems (the red ring of death - witnessed that one personally), but
it is a good console.

I always found MS makes way better hardware than software. There mice
are fine, their keyboards are fine, the XBox is pretty good, and so is
the Kinect.

Their software? Not so great. MS Office being the notable exception.

--
If you have five dollars and Chuck Norris has five dollars, Chuck
Norris has more money than you.

Hadron

Dec 24, 2010, 10:50:10 AM12/24/10
TomB <tommy.b...@gmail.com> writes:

Many would disagree. I developed on Windows NT and XP for years and
almost never (I wont say never as I dont remember) suffered all the
legendary issues the likes of WronG complain of. Windows is "shut down"
for a reason : its designed to run apps on people desktops. Day to day
people. And the last thing companies want is tom, dick and harry fuffing
around with root consoles for example ...

Certainly Office is an order better than Open Office.

All new products have issues. The PS3 had oodles.

What HAS amazed me (and I was anti x-box before) was how well it has
scaled.

As for MS : they dont make HW. They stick their logo on it. Or do they?
They fabricate nylon/plastic shells and the like? I dont know 100% for
sure.

The fact is their SW works for people. Over 90% of the PC users in the
world use it. And it works for them. Yes there are idiots like WronG who
claim they spend 90% of their day fighting malware. But I also believe
it takes him 4 hours to open the fridge door.

Me? I boot occasionally into XP now on my Thinkpad - now for a Garmin
GPS, previously for an Android phone (which I have now - got rid of it
since 2.1 was garbage and 2.2 too slow coming and the damn thing didnt
last more than about 10 hours). And guess what? I HATE it. Why? Slow
startup, reboots etc : and all I want to do is one task and shut down
again. But then I know Debian and my Gnome desktop backwards now and
without XMonad as a WM I am lost. I hate the loss of power. The
familiarity. But I'm not going to call it "crap" since it aint. Its just
now what I am used to now.

Steel

Dec 24, 2010, 12:59:13 PM12/24/10

I like those WP7 commercials that commercial icon is so cute -- really.
I plan on getting one of those phones. I might even trade in my Droid
HTC at Verizon for a HTC phone. Well, I will go down to the store and
take a look.

TomB

Dec 25, 2010, 4:46:46 AM12/25/10
On 2010-12-24, the following emerged from the brain of Hadron:

>>> Also the result of a damned good games machine. I have a PS3 but
>>> haven't seen anything to make me think its better than the XBox :
>>> contrary to what I thought a couple of years ago. The games coming
>>> out on the xbox are astonishing. The new Halo, for example, is a
>>> work of art. At the very least they compare well.
>>
>> The XBox is a good console, that's for sure. It had its share of
>> problems (the red ring of death - witnessed that one personally),
>> but it is a good console.
>>
>> I always found MS makes way better hardware than software. There
>> mice are fine, their keyboards are fine, the XBox is pretty good,
>> and so is the Kinect.
>>
>> Their software? Not so great. MS Office being the notable
>> exception.
>
> Many would disagree. I developed on Windows NT and XP for years and
> almost never (I wont say never as I dont remember) suffered all the
> legendary issues the likes of WronG complain of.

Your personal experience or the complaints of others are not relevant
to me generally disliking MicroSoft software.

> Windows is "shut
> down" for a reason : its designed to run apps on people desktops.
> Day to day people. And the last thing companies want is tom, dick
> and harry fuffing around with root consoles for example ...

Instead they are running an entire desktop session as the equivalent
of root.

> Certainly Office is an order better than Open Office.
>
> All new products have issues. The PS3 had oodles.
>
> What HAS amazed me (and I was anti x-box before) was how well it has
> scaled.
>
> As for MS : they dont make HW. They stick their logo on it. Or do
> they? They fabricate nylon/plastic shells and the like? I dont know
> 100% for sure.

Of course they design and make hardware.

> The fact is their SW works for people. Over 90% of the PC users in
> the world use it. And it works for them. Yes there are idiots like
> WronG who claim they spend 90% of their day fighting malware. But I
> also believe it takes him 4 hours to open the fridge door.
>
> Me? I boot occasionally into XP now on my Thinkpad - now for a
> Garmin GPS, previously for an Android phone (which I have now - got
> rid of it since 2.1 was garbage and 2.2 too slow coming and the damn
> thing didnt last more than about 10 hours). And guess what? I HATE
> it. Why? Slow startup, reboots etc : and all I want to do is one
> task and shut down again. But then I know Debian and my Gnome
> desktop backwards now and without XMonad as a WM I am lost. I hate
> the loss of power. The familiarity. But I'm not going to call it
> "crap" since it aint. Its just now what I am used to now.

--
Engineering: where the noble semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those
who think and dream. Hello, Ooompa-Loompas of science.

Chris Ahlstrom

Dec 26, 2010, 8:27:48 AM12/26/10
TomB pulled this Usenet face plant:

> On 2010-12-24, the following emerged from the brain of Hadron:
>

>> The fact is their SW works for people. Over 90% of the PC users in
>> the world use it. And it works for them. Yes there are idiots like
>> WronG who claim they spend 90% of their day fighting malware. But I
>> also believe it takes him 4 hours to open the fridge door.

By the way, anything that "Hadron" says about Windows is useless, too.
Motivated solely by trolling.

--
If it smells it's chemistry, if it crawls it's biology, if it doesn't work
it's physics.

amicus_curious

Dec 26, 2010, 9:11:04 AM12/26/10

"Chris Ahlstrom" <ahls...@xzoozy.com> wrote in message

> TomB pulled this Usenet face plant:
>
>> On 2010-12-24, the following emerged from the brain of Hadron:
>>
>>> The fact is their SW works for people. Over 90% of the PC users in
>>> the world use it. And it works for them. Yes there are idiots like
>>> WronG who claim they spend 90% of their day fighting malware. But I
>>> also believe it takes him 4 hours to open the fridge door.
>
> By the way, anything that "Hadron" says about Windows is useless, too.
> Motivated solely by trolling.

Another magpie-ism from the nut! way to pile on there!