It's the Little Things that Mark Superiority

Nux Vomica

May 30, 2023, 4:41:51 PM5/30/23
Let's say that one has some text files.

Ha, ha! On Microslop the concept of a "text" file is almost
non-existent with all being relegated to the native, and total
junk, Notepad.

On GNU/Linux, however, text is the "lingua franca" and includes
everything from programming/script source files to configuration
files to (post-formatted) document files to bona-fide databases.

Let's further say that one desires to output these text files
to include line numbers. Furthermore, let's say that some text
files should include blank lines in the numbering while other
text files should exclude blank lines in the numbering.

How can one (quickly) do this?

On GNU/Linux it is an extremely simple matter.

On Microslop? You'd better call tech support and search the
Microslop "store" with an open wallet.

Haaaaaaaaa, heeeeeeee, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

--

Nux Vomica

He knows. You don't.

So don't even fucking try.

Haaaaaaaaa, heeeeeeee, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Joel

May 30, 2023, 4:46:31 PM5/30/23
Nux Vomica <n...@linux.rocks> wrote:

>Let's say that one has some text files.
>
>Ha, ha! On Microslop the concept of a "text" file is almost
>non-existent with all being relegated to the native, and total
>junk, Notepad.
>
>On GNU/Linux, however, text is the "lingua franca" and includes
>everything from programming/script source files to configuration
>files to (post-formatted) document files to bona-fide databases.
>
>Let's further say that one desires to output these text files
>to include line numbers. Furthermore, let's say that some text
>files should include blank lines in the numbering while other
>text files should exclude blank lines in the numbering.
>
>How can one (quickly) do this?
>
>On GNU/Linux it is an extremely simple matter.
>
>On Microslop? You'd better call tech support and search the
>Microslop "store" with an open wallet.
>
>Haaaaaaaaa, heeeeeeee, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Are you retarded?

--
Joel Crump

rabidPedagog

May 30, 2023, 7:03:13 PM5/30/23
I think it's pretty clear that he is.

--
rabidPedagog
TG: @rabidPedagog

vallor

May 31, 2023, 6:08:14 PM5/31/23
On Tue, 30 May 2023 20:41:47 +0000, Nux Vomica wrote:

> Let's say that one has some text files.
>
> Ha, ha! On Microslop the concept of a "text" file is almost
> non-existent with all being relegated to the native, and total junk,
> Notepad.
>
> On GNU/Linux, however, text is the "lingua franca" and includes
> everything from programming/script source files to configuration files
> to (post-formatted) document files to bona-fide databases.
>
> Let's further say that one desires to output these text files to include
> line numbers. Furthermore, let's say that some text files should
> include blank lines in the numbering while other text files should
> exclude blank lines in the numbering.
>
> How can one (quickly) do this?
>
> On GNU/Linux it is an extremely simple matter.
>
> On Microslop? You'd better call tech support and search the Microslop
> "store" with an open wallet.
>
> Haaaaaaaaa, heeeeeeee, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

1) You appear to have just read the man page for cat(1). How many
years did you use Unix before knowing about those option?

2) You've apparently never heard of Cygwin.

3) You've apparently not heard that
Linux is a subsystem for Windows now.

4) How long had you used Unix before you knew that kill -1 0 will
send SIGHUP to all the processes in the current process group? (Useful
for scripts with co-processes...)

See:

For dali_timer.sh .

--
-v

Nux Vomica

Jun 1, 2023, 4:04:50 AM6/1/23
On Wed, 31 May 2023 22:08:10 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:

> 1) You appear to have just read the man page for cat(1).

That's the WRONG tool for the job. It's like using pliers
to remove a bolt. It'll work but it's far from being the best.

The CORRECT tool is nl.

Now get back to your Ubuntu guide books. After a few more
years of study you may begin to look like a Unix novice.

Haaaaaaaaaa, heeeee, ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

vallor

Jun 1, 2023, 4:31:51 AM6/1/23
You left out a who lot of stuff. BTW, why would you use nl if cat can
do the job?

Let's recap what you cowardly snipped:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _
2) You've apparently never heard of Cygwin.

3) You've apparently not heard that Linux is a subsystem for Windows now.

4) How long had you used Unix before you knew that kill -1 0 will send
SIGHUP to all the processes in the current process group? (Useful for
scripts with co-processes...)

See:

For dali_timer.sh .
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

If there is interest, I will post the script here for readers'
perusal and discussion.

--
-v

vallor

Jun 4, 2023, 3:14:49 AM6/4/23
On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:31:47 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jun 2023 08:04:46 +0000, Nux Vomica wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 31 May 2023 22:08:10 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:
>>

>>> 1) You appear to have just read the man page for cat(1).
>>>

>> That's the WRONG tool for the job. It's like using pliers to remove a
>> bolt. It'll work but it's far from being the best.
>>
>> The CORRECT tool is nl.
>>
>> Now get back to your Ubuntu guide books. After a few more years of
>> study you may begin to look like a Unix novice.
>>
>> Haaaaaaaaaa, heeeee, ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
>
> You left out a who lot of stuff. BTW, why would you use nl if cat can
> do the job?
>
> Let's recap what you cowardly snipped:
>
> _ _ _ _ _ _ _
> 2) You've apparently never heard of Cygwin.

<crickets>

> 3) You've apparently not heard that Linux is a subsystem for Windows
> now.

<more crickets>

> 4) How long had you used Unix before you knew that kill -1 0 will send
> SIGHUP to all the processes in the current process group? (Useful for
> scripts with co-processes...)

<deafening crickets...did I teach him something new?>

> See:
>
> For dali_timer.sh .
> _ _ _ _ _ _ _
>

> If there is interest, I will post the script here for readers'
> perusal and discussion.
.
.
.
j (no bites? none?)

Wow, that shut up Vux's piehole.

In another thread, I saw that loser trying to cajole someone to post their
personal documents, as if yelling about something outrageous
makes it okay. (The Cheeto Benito school of rhetoric, no doubt.)

"it" refers to "something outrageous"

--
-v

Nux Vomica

Jun 4, 2023, 8:36:05 AM6/4/23
On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 07:14:45 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:

>> BTW, why would you use nl if cat can
>> do the job?

Read the man pages for each.

Read them using either coolman or tkman, both highly underrated
GNI/Linux wonders (see my upcoming posts).

>> _ _ _ _ _ _ _
>> 2) You've apparently never heard of Cygwin.
>
>> 3) You've apparently not heard that Linux is a subsystem for Windows
>> now.

Cygwin/WSL is like having some fat, ugly, stupid, old bitch (Microslop)
squeeze on a pair of sleek, skin-tight yoga pants (GNU/Linux).

The end result is far more disgusting than it is comical.

>> 4) How long had you used Unix before you knew that kill -1 0 will send
>> SIGHUP to all the processes in the current process group? (Useful for
>> scripts with co-processes...)

Because my system is perfectly constructed and customized I NEVER have
to manually terminate processes.

--
Nux Vomica

Now THAT'S advocacy!

rbowman

Jun 4, 2023, 2:21:19 PM6/4/23
On Sun, 04 Jun 2023 12:36:01 +0000, Nux Vomica wrote:

> Cygwin/WSL is like having some fat, ugly, stupid, old bitch (Microslop)
> squeeze on a pair of sleek, skin-tight yoga pants (GNU/Linux).

Corinna Vinschen is coming for you, bitch.