macOS, my venture

Branimir Maksimovic

Jun 29, 2021, 7:13:57 PM6/29/21
I like system, but it is pretty unbstable. Light breeze can crash
it, specially GUI. Linux is rock stable in comparison.
What is better is GUI and it has Office for free Apple Script
and lot of nice programs. What is better than Linux is
swap management. On Linux, when you run out of memory
you experience system freeze, and usually it is easier to
do hard reset then to wait. Not so on macOS. I have just
8GB of RAM, but use machine like I have 32GB :P
That is what is well done i macOS.

DFS

Jun 29, 2021, 11:08:51 PM6/29/21
On 6/29/2021 7:13 PM, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:

> I like system, but it is pretty unbstable. Light breeze can crash
> it, specially GUI.

Reboot required?

> Linux is rock stable in comparison.
> What is better is GUI and it has Office for free Apple Script
> and lot of nice programs. What is better than Linux is
> swap management. On Linux, when you run out of memory
> you experience system freeze, and usually it is easier to
> do hard reset then to wait. Not so on macOS. I have just
> 8GB of RAM, but use machine like I have 32GB :P
> That is what is well done i macOS.

What are you doing that consumes 8GB of memory?

Rabid Roach

Jun 30, 2021, 8:32:04 AM6/30/21
I don't think that he's actually using all of it. To be honest, even
gaming doesn't take that much. I can imagine that editing videos in
Final Cut Pro or manipulating humongous images would but I doubt that
Branimir does either. Either way, I'm happy that he loves his machine
even though it bothers me that he is giving an unethical company like
Apple a pass for everything that they've done and continue to do.

--
Rabid Roach
John 15:18

Branimir Maksimovic

Jun 30, 2021, 11:14:56 AM6/30/21
On 2021-06-30, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
> On 6/29/2021 7:13 PM, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
>
>> I like system, but it is pretty unbstable. Light breeze can crash
>> it, specially GUI.
>
> Reboot required?

Well, I can' uninstall iTunes crap and all Apple crap that is shit.
Had to do hard reset because of iTunes crap several times.
samba work like a shit so I had to replace it with netatalk on Linux
server/desktop :(
Cannot run binaries like a man, and finally doesn't run 32bit programs,
so only 116 of ~400 games I have run nativelly :(
But it has 120FPS in resolution 1650x1050 and 30fps in 2800x1600 ;)
Will ditch this macOS crap and use this laptop like a man, as soon
as someone makes support for new Macs :P
Linux is law, everything else is crap, I conclude.

>> Linux is rock stable in comparison.
>> What is better is GUI and it has Office for free Apple Script
>> and lot of nice programs. What is better than Linux is
>> swap management. On Linux, when you run out of memory
>> you experience system freeze, and usually it is easier to
>> do hard reset then to wait. Not so on macOS. I have just
>> 8GB of RAM, but use machine like I have 32GB :P
>> That is what is well done i macOS.
>

> What are you doing that consumes 8GB of memory?

Well start Safari with 40 tabs, Mail, Skype, Viber, Steam,
Anydesk to access Linux desktop, iTunes to listen music,
and bunch of command line programs, servers and what not :P

Snit

Jun 30, 2021, 12:27:01 PM6/30/21
On Jun 30, 2021 at 5:31:59 AM MST, "Rabid Roach" wrote
<4vZCI.12615$Vj7....@fx46.iad>:
Apple is far more moral than you are.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Rabid Roach

Jun 30, 2021, 12:30:29 PM6/30/21
On 2021-06-30 11:14 a.m., Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
> On 2021-06-30, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 6/29/2021 7:13 PM, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
>>
>>> I like system, but it is pretty unbstable. Light breeze can crash
>>> it, specially GUI.
>>
>> Reboot required?
>
> Well, I can' uninstall iTunes crap and all Apple crap that is shit.
> Had to do hard reset because of iTunes crap several times.
> samba work like a shit so I had to replace it with netatalk on Linux
> server/desktop :(
> Cannot run binaries like a man, and finally doesn't run 32bit programs,
> so only 116 of ~400 games I have run nativelly :(
> But it has 120FPS in resolution 1650x1050 and 30fps in 2800x1600 ;)
> Will ditch this macOS crap and use this laptop like a man, as soon
> as someone makes support for new Macs :P
> Linux is law, everything else is crap, I conclude.

Speaking of gaming, what kind of screen does that Mac of yours have? I
know that it's Retina and has awesome colour but does it actually go
over 60hz? Mine is only 1080s but it's 144hz which makes for some very
smooth gaming.

>>> Linux is rock stable in comparison.
>>> What is better is GUI and it has Office for free Apple Script
>>> and lot of nice programs. What is better than Linux is
>>> swap management. On Linux, when you run out of memory
>>> you experience system freeze, and usually it is easier to
>>> do hard reset then to wait. Not so on macOS. I have just
>>> 8GB of RAM, but use machine like I have 32GB :P
>>> That is what is well done i macOS.
>>

>> What are you doing that consumes 8GB of memory?
>
> Well start Safari with 40 tabs, Mail, Skype, Viber, Steam,
> Anydesk to access Linux desktop, iTunes to listen music,
> and bunch of command line programs, servers and what not :P
I still wonder what the point of having 40 tabs open in a browser is. I
open my browser when I need it and close it when I don't and can't
imagine a situation where it would need to be open at all times with 40
different web pages available to me. Please, indulge me on the why of
this practise.

Branimir Maksimovic

Jun 30, 2021, 8:28:08 PM6/30/21
Well, ethical or not they make hello of a good processors now :P>

I had to have M1, never would buy Intel from them :P

Branimir Maksimovic

Jun 30, 2021, 8:32:43 PM6/30/21
On 2021-06-30, Rabid Roach <ra...@roa.ch> wrote:
> On 2021-06-30 11:14 a.m., Branimir Maksimovic wrote:

>>> Reboot required?
>>
>> Well, I can' uninstall iTunes crap and all Apple crap that is shit.
>> Had to do hard reset because of iTunes crap several times.
>> samba work like a shit so I had to replace it with netatalk on Linux
>> server/desktop :(
>> Cannot run binaries like a man, and finally doesn't run 32bit programs,
>> so only 116 of ~400 games I have run nativelly :(
>> But it has 120FPS in resolution 1650x1050 and 30fps in 2800x1600 ;)
>> Will ditch this macOS crap and use this laptop like a man, as soon
>> as someone makes support for new Macs :P
>> Linux is law, everything else is crap, I conclude.
>
> Speaking of gaming, what kind of screen does that Mac of yours have? I
> know that it's Retina and has awesome colour but does it actually go
> over 60hz? Mine is only 1080s but it's 144hz which makes for some very
> smooth gaming.

Well, I don't know I just see fps which can go over 200 sometimes :P
I guess it does not have fixed rate.
Laptop has good graphic. It's just that default resolution is too much
for it. I mean 2800x1600 is too much for any mid range discrete GPU :P

Rabid Roach

Jun 30, 2021, 9:44:13 PM6/30/21
Well, I'm happy that you enjoy your purchase. I just hope that Mac OS is
not a step down for you. I too was considering the Macbook Pro before I
got the machine I'm using but I just thought that no matter how great
the M1 is, I absolutely want the best gaming experience I can get and I
don't think Apple offers it.

Branimir Maksimovic

Jun 30, 2021, 9:54:12 PM6/30/21
You are right only 25% games work nativelly.
You'll need another machine to stream from, like I do.

Rabid Roach

Jun 30, 2021, 10:16:12 PM6/30/21
If I was only playing Civilization 6, a Macbook Pro would have been fine
but I like variety. For instance, right now I'm playing Dead Rising 4
which runs amazing on this machine and happens to be incredibly smooth
as a result of the 144hz screen and powerful video card. I know that I
can also install all of the games I've amassed since 2011 or so (all 175
or so of them) and play them in higher quality than I did back then. I
wouldn't mind going through The Witcher 3 again as I truly did that it
is the greatest game that I've ever played based on the adventures of
one of the coolest characters ever.

DFS

Jul 4, 2021, 9:17:49 AM7/4/21
40 tabs? LOL!

That's a lot of plow reviews...

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 4, 2021, 9:37:31 AM7/4/21
just continue to use CPU from 2008, you poor man...:p

F Russell

Jul 4, 2021, 9:45:53 AM7/4/21
On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 13:37:26 +0000, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:

> just continue to use CPU from 2008, you poor man...:p

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

He is poor in $$$, brains, and digital competence.

The fact that he is content with such obsolete hardware
indicates his total lack of enthusiasm for computing in
general.

He is a dime-a-dozen string manipulator. He is a one-trick
pony. GNU/Linux boggles his feeble mind as it does with
all losers.

--

Systemd free. D.E. free.

Always and forever.

DFS

Jul 4, 2021, 10:27:24 AM7/4/21
3Q09... get it right!

Why do you force your wife to use "technology" from 1808?

https://imgur.com/a/AJl4bPy

;)

DFS

Jul 4, 2021, 11:51:17 AM7/4/21
On 7/4/2021 9:45 AM, F Russell wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 13:37:26 +0000, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
>
>> just continue to use CPU from 2008, you poor man...:p
>>

> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
>
> He is poor in $$$, brains, and digital competence.
>
> The fact that he is content with such obsolete hardware
> indicates his total lack of enthusiasm for computing in
> general.

wtf? I spend many hours each day on the computer, and write hobby code
all the time.

ProjectEuler 95 (find amicable pairs and chains).
Not a solution, more a first pass, but I'm on the right track. I have
an idea to try later.

run for start/end both even numbers
import sys

#uses 6k+-1 optimization
def isPrime(n):
if n<=3: return n>1
if n%2==0 or n%3==0 : return False
i = 5
while i**2<=n:
if n%i==0 or n%(i+2)==0:
return False
i+=6
return True

#calculate sum of proper divisors of n
def getsumdivs(n):
if(p): print("%d. " % (n),end='')
divsum = 0

if(n>1):
if(isPrime(n)):
divsum+=1;
else:
for i in range(1,int(n/2)+1):
if(n % i==0 and i < n):
divsum+=i
if(p): print("%d " % (i),end='')

if(p): print(" (%d)" % (divsum))
return divsum

#command line
start = int(sys.argv[1])
end = int(sys.argv[2])

#print
p = False

#build array of sum of proper divisors
print("building sums of proper divisors...\n")
sumdivs=[]
for j in range(0,end+1):
sumdivs.append(getsumdivs(j))

#look for chains of size 2 links to 12 links
print("looking for amicable pairs and chains...\n");
chainsfound=0
links=[]
for i in range(start,end+1,2):
link = i
spd = sumdivs[link]
links.append(link)
checked = 0
if link <= end:
for j in range(1,11):
linknext = spd
if linknext <= end:
spd = sumdivs[linknext]
checked += 1
if checked == j:
if spd == link and linknext != link and linknext not in links:
chainsfound += 1
print("chain %d (%d links) = %d %d" % (chainsfound, checked+1,
link, sumdivs[link]))
break
else:
links.append(linknext)

links.clear()
print("Amicable chains found: %d\n" % (chainsfound))

Answer: Yes

Question: Will Feeb completely fail at all ProjectEuler problems?

> He is a dime-a-dozen string manipulator.

Feeb wipes away the tears and says: "I will accept no string
manipulation challenges."

> He is a one-trick pony.

How come you don't have a trick? I mean, you ARE a trick to the nasty
black hookers you frequent, but why don't you have a financially
successful niche in life?

> GNU/Linux boggles his feeble mind as it does with
> all losers.

GuhNoo is definitely mind-boggling... in a hobbyist claptrap way.

Joel

Jul 4, 2021, 1:58:06 PM7/4/21
F Russell <f...@random.info> wrote:
>On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 13:37:26 +0000, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
>
>> just continue to use CPU from 2008, you poor man...:p
>
>Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
>
>He is poor in $$$, brains, and digital competence.
>
>The fact that he is content with such obsolete hardware
>indicates his total lack of enthusiasm for computing in
>general.
>
>He is a dime-a-dozen string manipulator. He is a one-trick
>pony. GNU/Linux boggles his feeble mind as it does with
>all losers.

DFS's computer is actually very well suited to running Linux, and he
seems to be doing surprisingly well with Win10 also. "Obsolete" is
dependent on application.

--
Joel Crump

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 4, 2021, 3:37:40 PM7/4/21
Look, I feel pain running Windows 10 on an i7 6700 with 16GB of RAM
from 2016 :P
ThAT is with HDD :P

Joel

Jul 4, 2021, 3:41:05 PM7/4/21
Branimir Maksimovic <branimir....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> DFS's computer is actually very well suited to running Linux, and he
>> seems to be doing surprisingly well with Win10 also. "Obsolete" is
>> dependent on application.
>
>Look, I feel pain running Windows 10 on an i7 6700 with 16GB of RAM
>from 2016 :P
>ThAT is with HDD :P

I get the sense that DFS is pretty patient. I do think he should at
least look into a major hardware upgrade, though.

--
Joel Crump

DFS

Jul 4, 2021, 4:06:08 PM7/4/21
Is it a sharp or dull pain? Linux gives me both.

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 4, 2021, 4:53:42 PM7/4/21
On 2021-07-04, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
It is pain of waiting and waiting and waiting. You don't have normal
computer so you don't know.
Better put Linux on that can, so you can experience relief ;P

DFS

Jul 4, 2021, 5:18:43 PM7/4/21
It won't be an upgrade - it will be a new system entirely, all new
components (save mouse, keyboard, monitor), even a new case and power
supply, which I could reuse from current system. All parts to be
researched, ordered and assembled by me.

Given the amazing speed and power of today's components, I'm sure I
could make a $2000 midrange system built around a Ryzen 5 5600x (or
Intel i5-11600K), NVMe M.2 drives, and DDR4-3200 memory last the rest of
my time on planet Earth.

Step it up to $3000 or so and 20 years later I could bequeath it to some
broke-ass Linux project that would be happy to have a free computer.

Joel

Jul 4, 2021, 5:32:30 PM7/4/21
DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:

>> I do think he [DFS] should at
>> least look into a major hardware upgrade, though.
>
>It won't be an upgrade - it will be a new system entirely, all new
>components (save mouse, keyboard, monitor), even a new case and power
>supply, which I could reuse from current system. All parts to be
>researched, ordered and assembled by me.

Yeah, I assumed you would reuse little to nothing from the current
machine's internal parts (as was the case with my new build).

>Given the amazing speed and power of today's components, I'm sure I
>could make a $2000 midrange system built around a Ryzen 5 5600x (or
>Intel i5-11600K), NVMe M.2 drives, and DDR4-3200 memory last the rest of
>my time on planet Earth.
>
>Step it up to $3000 or so and 20 years later I could bequeath it to some
>broke-ass Linux project that would be happy to have a free computer.

It does become hard to imagine improving on an essentially perfect
machine.

--
Joel Crump

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 4, 2021, 5:33:41 PM7/4/21
On 2021-07-04, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
Buy Macbook and save yorself a hassle :P
Connect big monitor and keyboard and all set!
That i I did, but my desktop is from 2018 :P

DFS

Jul 4, 2021, 5:41:32 PM7/4/21
What does Win10 make you wait on?

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 4, 2021, 7:02:14 PM7/4/21
:PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

DFS

Jul 4, 2021, 8:15:31 PM7/4/21
Nothing then.

On my Access/SQLite/python Usenet system, some text searches on SQLite
are fairly slow. Searching your entire post history for 'Apple' took
15.2s the first time, then I guess something is cached because
subsequent searches for 'Apple' were 0.5s, and for other terms only 0.5s
to 1.25s. And that includes copying the search results to a temporary
table.

By the way, you mentioned Apple in 234 posts. And you've been posting
here for 15.5 years now, old guy!

python code was pretty much crawling, but pypy3 solved that with a bang.

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 4, 2021, 8:22:50 PM7/4/21
Look Windows 10 is pain because you have to wait half of hour-hour to system
to calm down after boot. I can't open FF and type text during that time :P
Also when Update comes forget it :P
They are updating during wrk, during shutdown after shutdown, during boot,
and login :P

DFS

Jul 4, 2021, 8:41:36 PM7/4/21
I see they dropped the entry Mac Mini price by $100 (to $699), and it
comes with an M1 chip, and gets good reviews. Plus I love that it's a
fast system not taking up more than a square foot of space.

So it's tempting, but in the end it would be $700 just to play around
with it, since it's too much trouble to use multiple computing platforms
day to day. Plus there's no MS Access (but there is Filemaker Pro, but
it costs $540).

For the same price as the Mac Mini you can get an Intel NUC with Win10,
twice the memory and twice the storage.

Branimir Maksimovic

Jul 4, 2021, 8:44:00 PM7/4/21
M1 is much faster then whatever NUC, prepare for future :P

DFS

Jul 4, 2021, 8:54:33 PM7/4/21
The past, present and future is the world's best software and games
running on MS Windows on a virtually unlimited set of hardware options.

You know that.

The M1 has captured everyone's imagination for now, but being locked
into the much more limited Apple software and hardware ecosystem doesn't
seem like too much fun. You've been griping quite a bit.

chrisv

Jul 6, 2021, 9:39:37 AM7/6/21
> some dumb fsck wrote:
>>
>>It won't be an upgrade - it will be a new system entirely, all new
>>components (save mouse, keyboard, monitor), even a new case and power
>>supply, which I could reuse from current system. All parts to be
>>researched, ordered and assembled by me.

'Had I been there looking over your shoulder making you explain why
you chose each particular component over all the others in that
category, it would be hours and hours and a big hassle for you. All
thanks to "choice!".' - some dumb fscking hypocrite

DFS

Jul 6, 2021, 10:19:50 AM7/6/21
On 7/4/2021 8:22 PM, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
> On 2021-07-05, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:

> Look Windows 10 is pain because you have to wait half of hour-hour to system
> to calm down after boot.

Can't fool me, don't fool yourself.

> I can't open FF and type text during that time :P

Just type anyway and it will eventually appear.

> Also when Update comes forget it :P
> They are updating during wrk, during shutdown after shutdown, during boot,
> and login :P

You can schedule the update time for middle of the night. I've been
using this Win10 Evaluation version for a month+ and only noticed
updates one time (went to shutdown and it had some 'Update then Restart'
or 'Update then Shut Down' options.

I was worried about Win10 updates interfering with my computing, but
they definitely haven't.

Joel

Jul 6, 2021, 10:33:06 AM7/6/21
Yeah, it's really not a significant issue. At least, if you have
decently modern hardware I can't see how you'd really be interrupted
by the updates. And you can do the reboot when it's convenient, if
you're in the middle of something.

--
Joel Crump

Rabid Roach

Jul 6, 2021, 10:43:45 AM7/6/21
On 2021-07-06 10:33 a.m., Joel wrote:
> DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 7/4/2021 8:22 PM, Branimir Maksimovic wrote:
>>
>>> Also when Update comes forget it :P
>>> They are updating during wrk, during shutdown after shutdown, during boot,
>>> and login :P
>>
>> You can schedule the update time for middle of the night. I've been
>> using this Win10 Evaluation version for a month+ and only noticed
>> updates one time (went to shutdown and it had some 'Update then Restart'
>> or 'Update then Shut Down' options.
>>
>> I was worried about Win10 updates interfering with my computing, but
>> they definitely haven't.
>

> Yeah, it's really not a significant issue.

It never was but people tend to complain about just about everything
under the sun. It's annoying that the update process takes over your
entire computer, especially considering how well Linux does it, but even
the Mac takes it over so when it comes to commercial software, your
alternative isn't much better.

> At least, if you have
> decently modern hardware I can't see how you'd really be interrupted
> by the updates. And you can do the reboot when it's convenient, if
> you're in the middle of something.

I use Pro but even with Home, you can configure it to update at the end
of the day and not necessarily at the next reboot. The only people
bothered by such things are the people who are so frightened of going
into their System Settings and changing the configuration to something
more convenient. They would rather go on Reddit or elsewhere and whine
than just take a minute or two to explore their computer's configuration.

Joel

Jul 6, 2021, 10:57:03 AM7/6/21
Rabid Roach <ra...@roa.ch> wrote:
>On 2021-07-06 10:33 a.m., Joel wrote:
>> DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was worried about Win10 updates interfering with my computing, but
>>> they definitely haven't.
>>
>> Yeah, it's really not a significant issue.
>
>It never was but people tend to complain about just about everything
>under the sun. It's annoying that the update process takes over your
>entire computer, especially considering how well Linux does it, but even
>the Mac takes it over so when it comes to commercial software, your
>alternative isn't much better.

Updates under Mint were literally as painless as could be, which
admittedly isn't as true of Win10, but I haven't found that I'm unable
to multitask while it's updating. It does use a lot of resources, but
not to the extent that I can't use the machine.

>> At least, if you have
>> decently modern hardware I can't see how you'd really be interrupted
>> by the updates. And you can do the reboot when it's convenient, if
>> you're in the middle of something.
>
>I use Pro but even with Home, you can configure it to update at the end
>of the day and not necessarily at the next reboot. The only people
>bothered by such things are the people who are so frightened of going
>into their System Settings and changing the configuration to something
>more convenient. They would rather go on Reddit or elsewhere and whine
>than just take a minute or two to explore their computer's configuration.

Good point, it's pretty simple to tell it when to reboot.

--
Joel Crump

Rabid Roach

Jul 6, 2021, 12:31:39 PM7/6/21
On 2021-07-06 10:57 a.m., Joel wrote:
> Rabid Roach <ra...@roa.ch> wrote:

>>> Yeah, it's really not a significant issue.
>>
>> It never was but people tend to complain about just about everything
>> under the sun. It's annoying that the update process takes over your
>> entire computer, especially considering how well Linux does it, but even
>> the Mac takes it over so when it comes to commercial software, your
>> alternative isn't much better.
>

> Updates under Mint were literally as painless as could be, which
> admittedly isn't as true of Win10, but I haven't found that I'm unable
> to multitask while it's updating. It does use a lot of resources, but
> not to the extent that I can't use the machine.

The only kind of updates that I would worry about with Linux Mint are
the distribution version upgrades, like from 19.1 to 19.2 and so on. If
they're at 19.3 and you neglected to go to 19.2, pray. I did it for my
dad and it just didn't work out.

Joel

Jul 6, 2021, 1:10:10 PM7/6/21
Rabid Roach <ra...@roa.ch> wrote:

>> Updates under Mint were literally as painless as could be, which
>> admittedly isn't as true of Win10, but I haven't found that I'm unable
>> to multitask while it's updating. It does use a lot of resources, but
>> not to the extent that I can't use the machine.
>
>The only kind of updates that I would worry about with Linux Mint are
>the distribution version upgrades, like from 19.1 to 19.2 and so on. If
>they're at 19.3 and you neglected to go to 19.2, pray. I did it for my
>dad and it just didn't work out.

That's a good point, there are potential problems there.

--
Joel Crump

RonB

Jul 6, 2021, 6:40:54 PM7/6/21
I just usually choose the newest small number release and stick with that
until EOL. But I did upgrade my Linux Mint Mate laptop from 18.1 to 18.3
without issue once. That was the only time I tried it. On this computer I'm
using 19.1 and will do so until EOL.

--
Saudis bomb & starve Yemeni civilians: (crickets)
Yemenis attack Saudi oil facilities: TERRORISM!

Rabid Roach

Jul 6, 2021, 9:16:40 PM7/6/21
I expected that the upgrade would cause issues but it appeared as though
everything went through normally at first. The only issue I could
immediately notice was that the fonts were all the wrong size, icons
were no longer where they were supposed to be (they disappeared
entirely) and some programs didn't work at all. Since this upgrade was
done at my dad's, his Internet was slow as Hell and he insisted on
looking at everything I was doing even though he didn't understand the
tiniest bit of it, I wasn't too keen on trying to fix it all. It
probably was fixable though.

-hh

Jul 7, 2021, 8:52:48 AM7/7/21
I know its a pet peeve of your's, but its still the case. During the CoVid
lockdown, one of the things that I ended up doing was to source a
USB-C to MiniDisplayPort video adaptor.

Research found that my favored supplier (OWC) didn't have any
such adaptor, but found that NewEgg did. Ordered it, works fine.

Found that I needed a second one, so I reordered the same part.
Arrived, didn't work. Swapped equipment around with the first
adaptor to positively confirm that it was indeed the new adaptor
that was bad (DOA) and not any of the laptops or displays. Caulked
up the experience to the bad luck of a random DOA, returned it, got
another .. and another DOA. Returned that one and tried a different
brand from NewEgg. Also 'DOA' & returned. That's 1 success out of
4 attempts if you're keeping track.

Back to the drawing board. Found that OWC offered a NewerTech
USB-C / DP adaptor, which when combined with a MDP-DP adaptor
(more $) would be an alternative. Got it, worked on the first try.
But the 3 DOA returns to NewEgg did cost a lot of time which was
more than the component's cost was worth.

-hh

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 9:13:09 AM7/7/21
-hh wrote:

> chrisv wrote:

>> 'Had I been there looking over your shoulder making you explain why
>> you chose each particular component over all the others in that
>> category, it would be hours and hours and a big hassle for you. All
>> thanks to "choice!".' - some dumb fscking hypocrite
>
>I know its a pet peeve of your's, but its still the case.

Sure it's "the case". But it's a silly scenario that doesn't apply to
real life. It certainly doesn't mean that there's "too much choice".

> (anecdote snipped)

Those are design/quality issues.

--
"The Linux/OSS community is totally AGAINST freedom of choice - unless
it's the choices they deem acceptable." - DumFSck, lying shamelessly

Steven Petruzzellis - frelwizen

Jul 7, 2021, 9:44:24 AM7/7/21
Another keg you mean, Tattoo Vampire drinks them down pretty quick. Linux
offers the least of any of the competition. It's the same thing that happens
in every group Tattoo Vampire attacks.

-
Curious how these posts are made? Email: fretw...@gmail.com

Steven Petruzzellis - frelwizen

Jul 7, 2021, 10:00:38 AM7/7/21
+++<https://in.memory.of.e.tern.al/comp.sys.mac.apps/thread/3928539>+++

Dustin Cook aka Diesel Brags In UNIX Group About Sucker Punching Others
With Viruses

Dustin Cook aka Diesel aka Raid aka Gremlin aka Casio aka Char Jackson

He and his kind are no different than the ghetto garbage who sucker punch
the unexpectant on the streets of America.

He cobbled together shit BASIC crap code which is even laughed at by other
virus writing/passing vermin.

Every time his crap code slid under the radar of the AV companies, he
claimed credit for being an outstanding genius coder. What really was responsible
for some of his crap to ruin the computers of others was the sheer amount
of viruses in the wild. No AV program could possibly cover them all. It
was a mathematical certainty that some viruses would be unaccounted for
in AV programs. But incompetent RL LUSERS like Dustin Cook grab any crumb
of undeserved "achievement" that happens to come their way.

Notice how to this day he brags about his viruses? Do you really think
someone this HATEFUL and SPITEFUL of the success of others truly stopped
writing/passing viruses because he "changed"?

+++<http://www.hardwarebanter.com/showthread.php?p=1102356>+++

Dustin Cook aka Gremlin aka Diesel-Dum Threatens Man With A Bullet ToThe
Head

This shows that beyond any doubt he is a psychopath.

The only reason he has not killed yet is because he is a coward.

DuckFart farts another DEADLY THREAT: "Where I'm from John, you'd already
be dead. One bullet, right in the back of your head, execution style. No
witnesses. Happens all the time in NY. You don't run your mouth here or
anywhere else and not expect payback. I wasn't raised to take **** and
not give it back. Don't start no ****, and there wont be no **** is my
motto. KM started it, and now I do intend to finish it. I don't care what
harm it causes him IRL. The more the merrier."

He tries getting a man fired from his job by complaining to his employer
because the guy had the balls to disagree with The MIGHY DUSTY, SUPER TURD
OF USENET.

When a friend tries defending the man Duck**** is trying to destroy, Duck****
THREATENS TO KILL HIM.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...g/-WDTbGuUzisJ or https://tinyurl.com/qjvmuec

+++<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/pcWhWxc1/dustin-cook-gremlin-
begs-ascii-for-his-real-name-needs-it-for-intelius-site>+++

Dustin The Turd of Usenet Cook asked: "If you think I have no skills,
post with your real name. :) "

How f'kn much "SKILL" does it take to go to the Intelius or some other
such site and use your credit card and let them do your so- called hacking
for you?

Incredible, isn't it? Just THINK of it. This Queen of Assholes, Dusti-
Boi Cook, ACTUALLY ASKED a would-be victim for his name!

QUIT GODDAMN LAUGHING! I'm SERIOUS!

http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?STYPE=msgid&A=0&MSGI=%3CXns9F978596DE5FDHHI2948AJD832%40no%3E

--
Live on Kickstarter
https://www.google.com/maps/place/108+Warrior+Dr,+Kingsport,+TN+37663/

Steven - frelwizzer

Jul 7, 2021, 10:32:20 AM7/7/21
Commander Kinsey gave back what he gets from flatfish+++ as much as he
deserves, big fucking deal. No need to be a blubbering fuckhead about it?

Who *doesn't* know that this kind of bull is flatfish+++'s MO, not the
modus operandi of Commander Kinsey? It is all just nonsense... the endless
posting, the posting with Commander Kinsey's name, the writing of drivel,
the anger... the diaper rash and eagerness to show how butthurt he is over
being booted from the playground for pissing in it again... just what flatfish+++
does.

flatfish+++: <rqebpk$f4d$1...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>
-----
> An "entire bot"? Meaning you are saying it is part of one?

That's all any of the code demos I've shown Commander Kinsey
are, for years now.
-----

But then flatfish+++ flip flops:

flatfish+++: <rqk10g$j1c$1...@fretwizzer.eternal-september.org>
-----
So... these are "parts" the size of "code snippets", written in
AS, in this thread, not "the past"
(lock the medicine cabinet and come down from your high)."
-----

flatfish+++ starts with "for years now" but then denies that is in the
past. And flatfish+++ insists the code from the past was not tied to bots...
directly contradicting themselves.

I am well aware the junk I link to from Commander Kinsey is absolute amateur
level; that said, it meets the requirements.

Commander Kinsey shared a specific series of urls several times now, and
invited flatfish+++ to show which ones aren't accurate and provide the
evidence to support his allegation. Not one single time has flatfish+++
done so.

--
Live on Kickstarter
https://search.givewater.com/serp?q=%22functional%20illiterate%20fraud%22

-hh

Jul 7, 2021, 10:53:55 AM7/7/21
On Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 9:13:09 AM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
> -hh wrote:

> >> 'Had I been there looking over your shoulder making you explain why
> >> you chose each particular component over all the others in that
> >> category, it would be hours and hours and a big hassle for you. All
> >> thanks to "choice!".' - some dumb fscking hypocrite
> >
> >I know its a pet peeve of your's, but its still the case.
>
> Sure it's "the case". But it's a silly scenario that doesn't apply to
> real life.

YMMV; I see that type of scenario being applied constantly; pretty much every
time that we "short circuit" to a decision instead of doing our due diligence to
consider 'all' options.

For example, whenever our car needs gas, just how much research do we do
each time on current prices? Or do we just go to your "usual" gas station where
we've learned that the price is consistently good? Or do we choose some other
factor such as convenience over price? etc.

> It certainly doesn't mean that there's "too much choice".

FWIW, where I think we got off track on the "too much choice" debate isn't that
having more choice prevents additional optimization/refinement: "more" will
always produces more goodness.

Instead, it is more the pragmatic question of how much is good enough.
if one can get to a "good enough" solution in 5 minutes, what's the value
added to spend an hour more to be sure that it is the "best" solution?
Sure, it depends on specifics, but the specifics also inform if/when its
really worth that additional effort too: this is classical Pareto Principle
and Law of Diminishing Returns in being applied to say that 'enough'
of an effort has been made in down-selecting.

> > (anecdote snipped)
>
> Those are design/quality issues.

Yes, but that wasn't the point: it illustrated that despite making the effort
to review many options for a suitable product (& from a usually-reliable source),
that effort failed and it took a lot more than it really should have...solution was
to short-circuit the classical geekery and buy based on brand reputation instead.

FWIW, a concern I now also have is if NewEgg might be becoming more like Amazon
in offering crappy fly-by-night junk, which makes the selection process all the harder.

-hh

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 11:13:27 AM7/7/21
-hh wrote:

> chrisv wrote:

>> >I know its a pet peeve of your's, but its still the case.
>>
>> Sure it's "the case". But it's a silly scenario that doesn't apply to
>> real life.
>
>YMMV; I see that type of scenario being applied constantly; pretty much every
>time that we "short circuit" to a decision instead of doing our due diligence to
>consider 'all' options.

You do *not* see people needing to explain the minutia of their
decision-making process to some obtuse shitwit, like "DFS".

>Yes, but that wasn't the point: it illustrated that despite making the effort
>to review many options for a suitable product (& from a usually-reliable source),
>that effort failed and it took a lot more than it really should have...solution was
>to short-circuit the classical geekery and buy based on brand reputation instead.

Nothing wrong with that. At all. Big brands have a name and
reputation to protect. Most people are willing to pay a little more
for that security and convenience.

>FWIW, a concern I now also have is if NewEgg might be becoming more like Amazon
>in offering crappy fly-by-night junk, which makes the selection process all the harder.

Still better than having "committees" acting as gate-keepers to the
markets.

-hh

Jul 7, 2021, 1:00:52 PM7/7/21
On Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 11:13:27 AM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
> -hh wrote:
>
> > chrisv wrote:

> >> Sure it's "the case". But it's a silly scenario that doesn't apply to
> >> real life.
> >
> >YMMV; I see that type of scenario being applied constantly; pretty much every
> >time that we "short circuit" to a decision instead of doing our due diligence to
> >consider 'all' options.
>
> You do *not* see people needing to explain the minutia of their
> decision-making process to some obtuse shitwit, like "DFS".

DFS's "explain it" challenge was IMO using the reality that all decisions
consume resources to illustrate the point that you were probably just
like everyone else in that you'd probably been pragmatic and curtailed
your selection process, rather than to pore over every last option in detail.
As such, he was trying to expose you in a "do as I say, not as I do" gotcha.
Could've been malicious, or as a means merely to make the point on how
selection processes are self-limiting via self-examination.

> >Yes, but that wasn't the point: it illustrated that despite making the effort
> >to review many options for a suitable product (& from a usually-reliable source),
> >that effort failed and it took a lot more than it really should have...solution was
> >to short-circuit the classical geekery and buy based on brand reputation instead.
>
> Nothing wrong with that. At all. Big brands have a name and
> reputation to protect. Most people are willing to pay a little more
> for that security and convenience.

Right, and that 'brand name recognition' is what enables people to be "lazy"
in not having to pore over every last option every time. Consumers are willing
to pay more because it lowers their risk of a bad selection & it saves them time.

> >FWIW, a concern I now also have is if NewEgg might be becoming more like Amazon
> >in offering crappy fly-by-night junk, which makes the selection process all the harder.
>
> Still better than having "committees" acting as gate-keepers to the
> markets.

Invariably, both Amazon and NewEgg have committees who decide just what
products they're going to offer for sale; I don't see what point you're trying to make.

-hh

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 1:24:26 PM7/7/21
-hh wrote:

>DFS's "explain it" challenge was IMO using the reality that all decisions
>consume resources to illustrate the point that you were probably just
>like everyone else in that you'd probably been pragmatic and curtailed
>your selection process, rather than to pore over every last option in detail.

He was trying to make the case that there was "too much" choice in the
market, making the process of choosing onerous. He was trying to make
the case that pro-choice advocates were, somehow, unreasonable.

>As such, he was trying to expose you in a "do as I say, not as I do" gotcha.

He was being malicious, and he failed, no matter what falsehood he was
"trying to expose".

>Invariably, both Amazon and NewEgg have committees who decide

They decide only what they choose to offer, not what is available in
the market. Just like any other store.

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 1:40:52 PM7/7/21
chrisv wrote:

> -hh wrote:
>>
>>Invariably, both Amazon and NewEgg have committees who decide
>
>They decide only what they choose to offer, not what is available in
>the market. Just like any other store.

I should have noted your implication that they should be acting as
more of a gate-keeper, and not offer "crappy fly-by-night junk, which
makes the selection process all the harder." That's not their
business model, nor should it be. That's my point.

There are other business models (systems integrators, consultants,
etc) to help those who don't want to deal with all the research.

--
"Since you can't and won't, it means there are too many choices in
Linux distros. Same as there are too many choices in some categories

-hh

Jul 7, 2021, 2:56:31 PM7/7/21
On Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 1:24:26 PM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
> -hh wrote:
>
> >DFS's "explain it" challenge was IMO using the reality that all decisions
> >consume resources to illustrate the point that you were probably just
> >like everyone else in that you'd probably been pragmatic and curtailed
> >your selection process, rather than to pore over every last option in detail.
>
> He was trying to make the case that there was "too much" choice in the
> market, making the process of choosing onerous. He was trying to make
> the case that pro-choice advocates were, somehow, unreasonable.

And for that, by you refusing his request, you demonstrated his point, namely
that there are resourcing limits...and its not that it is "too much" choice, but
that having more ("N+1") choices isn't much different than N choices because
of the pragmatism of the law of diminishing returns.

-hh

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 3:05:01 PM7/7/21
-hh wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>> -hh wrote:
>>
>> >DFS's "explain it" challenge was IMO using the reality that all decisions
>> >consume resources to illustrate the point that you were probably just
>> >like everyone else in that you'd probably been pragmatic and curtailed
>> >your selection process, rather than to pore over every last option in detail.
>>
>> He was trying to make the case that there was "too much" choice in the
>> market, making the process of choosing onerous. He was trying to make
>> the case that pro-choice advocates were, somehow, unreasonable.
>
>And for that, by you refusing his request, you demonstrated his point,

Obviously wrong. Stop being an idiot.

Your response will be deleted, unread.

-hh

Jul 7, 2021, 3:06:22 PM7/7/21
On Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 1:40:52 PM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
> chrisv wrote:
> > -hh wrote:
> >>
> >>Invariably, both Amazon and NewEgg have committees who decide
> >
> >They decide only what they choose to offer, not what is available in
> >the market. Just like any other store.
>
> I should have noted your implication that they should be acting as
> more of a gate-keeper, and not offer "crappy fly-by-night junk, which
> makes the selection process all the harder." That's not their
> business model, nor should it be. That's my point.

Why shouldn't it be? Isn't providing some degree of supplier filtering a
potential benefit for many consumers which then improves Amazon's
"Brand Name" reputation and thus, encourage repeat business?

FYI, Amazon has been getting stricter on their suppliers because of negative
customer feedback, so to be a "gate-keeper" is already in their business model.

<https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/external/G202010130?language=en_US>
<https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/t/my-products-were-removed-because-the-buyer-complained-that-they-are-inconsistent-with-the-condition-or-description-we-mentioned-on-the-product-details-page/635588>

> There are other business models (systems integrators, consultants,
> etc) to help those who don't want to deal with all the research.

There's no law saying that a retailer can't do this too, is there?

YMMV, but I don't support retailers who allow a bunch of crappy
fly-by-night products on their shelves.

-hh

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 3:13:43 PM7/7/21
-hh wrote:

>Why shouldn't it be?

Why should it be? They've obviously decided their model is best for
them.

If they don't offer something, someone else will.

Ultimately, all the choices are before you, like it or not. They must
be.

Snit

Jul 7, 2021, 4:02:16 PM7/7/21
On Jul 7, 2021 at 12:13:39 PM MST, "chrisv" wrote
<kqubegh4e85tmt306...@4ax.com>:
Right: and it is good there is choice of multiple distros, multiple OSs, etc.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

-hh

Jul 7, 2021, 4:02:21 PM7/7/21
On Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 3:13:43 PM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
> -hh wrote:
>
> > Why shouldn't it be?
>
> Why should it be? They've obviously decided their model is best for
> them.

Clarify please; the above sounds like you've reversing what you just said prior:

Latest Statement (contextual restoration of the above):

hh> > Why shouldn't it be? [Isn't providing some degree of supplier
hh> > filtering a potential benefit for many consumers which then
hh > > improves Amazon's "Brand Name" reputation and thus, encourage
hh > > repeat business?]

cv> Why should it be? They've obviously decided their model is best for
cv> them.

(implies opposition to it being OK for Amazon to be a gatekeeper)

Prior Statement:

cv>>> Still better than having "committees" acting as gate-keepers to the
cv>>> markets.

hh>> Invariably, both Amazon and NewEgg have committees who decide
hh>> just what products they're going to offer for sale; I don't see what
hh>> point you're trying to make.

cv>They decide only what they choose to offer, not what is available in
cv>the market. Just like any other store.

(implies that its OK for Amazon to be a gatekeeper)

FWIW, my first statement wasn't advocating any particular business policy,
but simply noting facts, namely that Amazon already is "gatekeeping".

For what was advocating, I've noted "brand reputation" as a factor, by
pointing out what it does:

"Isn't providing some degree of supplier filtering a potential benefit for
many consumers which then improves Amazon's "Brand Name" reputation
and thus, encourage[s] repeat business?"

"Right, and that 'brand name recognition' is what enables people to be "lazy"
in not having to pore over every last option every time. Consumers are willing
to pay more because it lowers their risk of a bad selection & it saves them time."

Overall, the decision on if/when to buy "brand" is situational, and often depends
on what the benefits are afforded for (typically) paying more for said brand.

(BTW, note that "brand" can include both the product & retailer/distributor)

-hh

Snit

Jul 7, 2021, 4:09:35 PM7/7/21
On Jul 7, 2021 at 10:24:24 AM MST, "chrisv" wrote
<gbobegtb8d1dt2pmm...@4ax.com>:

> -hh wrote:
>
>> DFS's "explain it" challenge was IMO using the reality that all decisions
>> consume resources to illustrate the point that you were probably just
>> like everyone else in that you'd probably been pragmatic and curtailed
>> your selection process, rather than to pore over every last option in detail.
>
> He was trying to make the case that there was "too much" choice in the
> market, making the process of choosing onerous. He was trying to make
> the case that pro-choice advocates were, somehow, unreasonable.

There are pros and cons to choice... and having more choices does not suggest
people will end up with products they are happier with.

>> As such, he was trying to expose you in a "do as I say, not as I do" gotcha.
>
> He was being malicious, and he failed, no matter what falsehood he was
> "trying to expose".
>
>> Invariably, both Amazon and NewEgg have committees who decide
>
> They decide only what they choose to offer, not what is available in
> the market. Just like any other store.

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 4:11:47 PM7/7/21
-hh wrote:

>Clarify please; the above sounds like you've reversing what you just said prior:

Nope. Obviously, all businesses must draw the line *somewhere*. Each
must decide how they want to approach the market. It's extremely
arrogant to assert that places like Amazon and NewEgg are doing it
wrong.

-hh

Jul 7, 2021, 4:12:28 PM7/7/21
On Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 3:05:01 PM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
> -hh wrote:
>
> > chrisv wrote:

> >> He was trying to make the case that there was "too much" choice in the
> >> market, making the process of choosing onerous. He was trying to make
> >> the case that pro-choice advocates were, somehow, unreasonable.
> >
> > And for that, by you refusing his request, you demonstrated his point,
> > namely that there are resourcing limits...and its not that it is "too much"
> > choice, but that having more ("N+1") choices isn't much different than
> > N choices because of the pragmatism of the law of diminishing returns.
>
> Obviously wrong. Stop being an idiot.

DFS was using a "Reductio ad Absurdum" approach in his challenge, but he
still had a decent point since it aligns with behavioral research. In a classical
debate it would have also been out of bounds to use the personalized 'NewEgg''
challenge, but this is usenet <shrug>.

FWIW, I'd be curious as to your thoughts on the "better is the enemy of good enough"
expression, as I can see that as being similarly relevant, as it is also invocative of
the aspect of diminishing returns.

-hh

-hh

Jul 7, 2021, 4:20:31 PM7/7/21
On Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 4:11:47 PM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
> -hh wrote:
>
> >Clarify please; the above sounds like you've reversing what you just said prior:
>
> Nope. Obviously, all businesses must draw the line *somewhere*.

But individuals (people) can't/shouldn't do the same drawing of the line?

Afterall, all that Schwartz 's "Paradox of Choice" is saying is that people
typically draw the line at around five (5) discrete options to choose from.

> Each must decide how they want to approach the market.

Sure, and when noting that the general population typically draws the line at
~5, this is simply reporting what "is", not advocating for/against that number.

> It's extremely arrogant to assert that places like Amazon and NewEgg are
> doing it wrong.

But its not arrogant to assert that the general population is wrong for only
typically considering just ~5 options? You're arguing against data.

-hh

%

Jul 7, 2021, 4:20:39 PM7/7/21
On 2021-07-07 1:02 p.m., Snit wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2021 at 12:13:39 PM MST, "chrisv" wrote
> <kqubegh4e85tmt306...@4ax.com>:
>
>> -hh wrote:
>>
>>> Why shouldn't it be?
>>
>> Why should it be? They've obviously decided their model is best for
>> them.
>>
>> If they don't offer something, someone else will.
>>
>> Ultimately, all the choices are before you, like it or not. They must
>> be.
>
> Right: and it is good there is choice of multiple distros, multiple OSs, etc.

i'll take two ect

%

Jul 7, 2021, 4:22:00 PM7/7/21
On 2021-07-07 1:09 p.m., Snit wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2021 at 10:24:24 AM MST, "chrisv" wrote
> <gbobegtb8d1dt2pmm...@4ax.com>:
>
>> -hh wrote:
>>
>>> DFS's "explain it" challenge was IMO using the reality that all decisions
>>> consume resources to illustrate the point that you were probably just
>>> like everyone else in that you'd probably been pragmatic and curtailed
>>> your selection process, rather than to pore over every last option in detail.
>>
>> He was trying to make the case that there was "too much" choice in the
>> market, making the process of choosing onerous. He was trying to make
>> the case that pro-choice advocates were, somehow, unreasonable.
>
> There are pros and cons to choice... and having more choices does not suggest
> people will end up with products they are happier with.
>
>>> As such, he was trying to expose you in a "do as I say, not as I do" gotcha.
>>
>> He was being malicious, and he failed, no matter what falsehood he was
>> "trying to expose".
>>
>>> Invariably, both Amazon and NewEgg have committees who decide
>>
>> They decide only what they choose to offer, not what is available in
>> the market. Just like any other store.

its not the arrival its the road getting there

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 4:27:22 PM7/7/21
-hh wrote:

> chrisv wrote:
>> -hh wrote:
>>
>> >Clarify please; the above sounds like you've reversing what you just said prior:
>>
>> Nope. Obviously, all businesses must draw the line *somewhere*.
>
> But individuals (people) can't/shouldn't do the same drawing of the line?

I don't know where you got that idea.

This has come to an end.

There's never "too much choice", from the consumer perspective.
Period. Some may prefer less, but there will always be some who would
prefer even more.

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 4:34:18 PM7/7/21
% wrote:

>its not the arrival its the road getting there

Quite often, yes.

Case in point, the research involved in choosing PC components can be
fun and challenging. But some dumb fsck says "it would be a big
hassle if you had to explain the minutia of the process to some obtuse
asshole", as if that proves anything interesting. And -highhorse
supported him!

--
'Had I been there looking over your shoulder making you explain why
you chose each particular component over all the others in that
category, it would be hours and hours and a big hassle for you. All
thanks to "choice!".' - some dumb fsck, arguing that there's "too
much choice" in computer hardware

chrisv

Jul 7, 2021, 4:37:12 PM7/7/21
chrisv wrote:

>Case in point, the research involved in choosing PC components can be
>fun and challenging.

I meant to write "fun and rewarding", there.

Snit

Jul 7, 2021, 5:02:14 PM7/7/21
On Jul 7, 2021 at 1:34:16 PM MST, "chrisv" wrote
<ni3cegd8jt1ae5g0a...@4ax.com>:

> % wrote:
>
>> its not the arrival its the road getting there
>
> Quite often, yes.
>
> Case in point, the research involved in choosing PC components can be
> fun and challenging. But some dumb fsck says "it would be a big
> hassle if you had to explain the minutia of the process to some obtuse
> asshole", as if that proves anything interesting. And -highhorse
> supported him!

Some folks want to play with making the tool, others want to just use the
tool, and for others there is a combo.

To each their own.

Snit

Jul 7, 2021, 5:02:40 PM7/7/21
On Jul 7, 2021 at 1:27:20 PM MST, "chrisv" wrote
<ea3ceght886reticc...@4ax.com>:
You fail to see the downsides. OK, you have a blindspot. Fair enough.

Snit

Jul 7, 2021, 5:05:11 PM7/7/21
On Jul 7, 2021 at 1:20:28 PM MST, "-hh" wrote
<b5d0a14b-b710-48c3...@googlegroups.com>:

> On Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 4:11:47 PM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
>> -hh wrote:
>>
>>> Clarify please; the above sounds like you've reversing what you just said
>>> prior:
>>
>> Nope. Obviously, all businesses must draw the line *somewhere*.
>
> But individuals (people) can't/shouldn't do the same drawing of the line?
>
> Afterall, all that Schwartz 's "Paradox of Choice" is saying is that people
> typically draw the line at around five (5) discrete options to choose from.

Even with that there are many nuances... the research did not stop with his.

But in the end there are pros and cons... and chrisv makes it clear he has a
blindspot to the cons. He also is against some choices, which is sorta
hypocritical of him.

>> Each must decide how they want to approach the market.
>
> Sure, and when noting that the general population typically draws the line at
> ~5, this is simply reporting what "is", not advocating for/against that number.
>

>> It's extremely arrogant to assert that places like Amazon and NewEgg are
>> doing it wrong.
>
> But its not arrogant to assert that the general population is wrong for only
> typically considering just ~5 options? You're arguing against data.
>

> -hh

Snit

Jul 7, 2021, 5:05:23 PM7/7/21
On Jul 7, 2021 at 1:20:25 PM MST, "%" wrote
<k--dnV7rRJcMkXv9...@giganews.com>:
Call me on the morning.

RonB

Jul 7, 2021, 6:51:12 PM7/7/21
On 2021-07-07, Rabid Roach <ra...@roa.ch> wrote:
> On 2021-07-06 6:40 p.m., RonB wrote:

>>> The only kind of updates that I would worry about with Linux Mint are
>>> the distribution version upgrades, like from 19.1 to 19.2 and so on. If
>>> they're at 19.3 and you neglected to go to 19.2, pray. I did it for my
>>> dad and it just didn't work out.
>>
>> I just usually choose the newest small number release and stick with that
>> until EOL. But I did upgrade my Linux Mint Mate laptop from 18.1 to 18.3
>> without issue once. That was the only time I tried it. On this computer I'm
>> using 19.1 and will do so until EOL.
>
> I expected that the upgrade would cause issues but it appeared as though
> everything went through normally at first. The only issue I could
> immediately notice was that the fonts were all the wrong size, icons
> were no longer where they were supposed to be (they disappeared
> entirely) and some programs didn't work at all. Since this upgrade was
> done at my dad's, his Internet was slow as Hell and he insisted on
> looking at everything I was doing even though he didn't understand the
> tiniest bit of it, I wasn't too keen on trying to fix it all. It
> probably was fixable though.

I was fortunate enough to have high-speed Internet, so maybe the slow speed
did cause a problem with you dad. Though I do know a lot of people don't do
small number upgrades with Linux Mint — they prefer to back up their files
and reinstall.

I know what you're talking about with your dad — that's exactly my experience
when dealing with my dad (over the phone) and what should be simple
procedures. He's always getting sidetracked, "what's this do?" And, before I
know it, he's in a completely screen than what I'm "seeing" as I'm trying to
walk him through. That can be frustrating.

--
Saudis bomb & starve Yemeni civilians: (crickets)
Yemenis attack Saudi oil facilities: TERRORISM!

Stephen Petruzzzellis

Jul 7, 2021, 7:37:54 PM7/7/21
Just nonsense from him. But he has completely left technology behind and
is holding me responsible for the acts of himself.

F. Russell must realize that Snit can go get a Mac, right, gluey? Add
to that, anyone can just ignore him, which renders *his* kiddie crap impotent,
just like F. Russell.

Really, what lie? LOL! How did F. Russell get _so_ self-centered he concludes
everything is about his comments?? Can emoji be concatenated into a string
with a logical connection to the "real" world; that is the question posed
recently by those astonished at the non-stop flood of gibberish from trolls
and basement-dwelling ultra-cranks.

--
This Trick Gets Women Hot For You
https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22racist%20swine%22

Rabid Roach

Jul 7, 2021, 7:43:59 PM7/7/21
That's why I installed TeamViewer on my mom's computer. My dad will just
wait for me to come over and fix it right in front of him but my mom
can't wait and wants me to fix whatever her idiotic issue is as quickly
as possible. I did the phone thing with her _once_ before giving up
entirely and deciding that I'd just do it myself with TeamViewer. Even
though I worked in tech support over the phone and could handle even the
least experienced clients, my mom takes the cake when it comes to never
seeing or doing what you expect her to.

--
Rabid Roach
John 15:18

Stefen Petruzzellis - frelwizen 6160

Jul 7, 2021, 8:42:21 PM7/7/21
It's a crank call. flatfish+++ has already decided what he is going to say
before he calls. What you say does not matter. What Snit says is beside the
point.

From what I've seen (which is none of it lately), it looks like the Windows
ecosystem is breaking down.
flatfish+++: <XnsACC9F3...@z9kfcl9n7KHDpF0eI.64L>
-----
Yea, I call bullshit on that. Driver media doesn't have a valid
boot sector present. As a result, the machine wouldn't have
refused to reboot because the disk was left behind.
-----

A reasoned response would be for you to just note your error -- of course
you were wrong to say "the machine would not have refused to reboot because
the disk was left behind." That is in fact exactly what was happening.

And you were wrong to say I suggested this was true of machines other than
the one being noted in Carroll's trolling.
Snit shared a specific series of urls several times now, and invited flatfish+++
to show which ones aren't true and provide the evidence to back his assertion.
Never has flatfish+++ done so.

--
My Snoring Solution!
https://search.givewater.com/serp?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+%22RACIST+SWINE%22

RonB

Jul 7, 2021, 9:51:12 PM7/7/21
I should look into something like that for my dad. As a matter of fact, I
think I will (if he'll let me) — but then I would have to let him install
*that* software, and that might be a hassle in itself.

-hh

Jul 7, 2021, 11:07:32 PM7/7/21
On Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 4:27:22 PM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
> -hh wrote:
>
> > chrisv wrote:

> >> Nope. Obviously, all businesses must draw the line *somewhere*.
> >
> > But individuals (people) can't/shouldn't do the same drawing of the line?
>
> I don't know where you got that idea.

Its the impression that I've been getting, since you're explicitly willing to allow businesses
to 'filter', but then demand that consumers be totally unfiltered.

> This has come to an end.
>
> There's never "too much choice", from the consumer perspective.
> Period. Some may prefer less, but there will always be some who would
> prefer even more.

AFAIC, that was never the question, nor the point. The point was that no matter how
many options there are, most people don't bother considering all of them, but just a
handful of but a ~half dozen. The business-centric perspective on this behavior is
that it can be more profitable for a business (and that's probably a "some", not "all") to
selectively narrow what's presented to customers, because it reduces friction to a sale.

Perhaps another way to phrase this could be:
"Is more better? Yes, but not by enough to make a difference".

Thus, we have the pragmatism of the 'Law of Diminishing Returns', etc.

-hh

Stefen Carroll - frelwizer 6279

Jul 8, 2021, 12:14:08 AM7/8/21
Turns out Tattoo Vampire's constant mentioning of Snit met his own definition
of trolling, so he accused Snit of making that up.

I reported him years ago. As expected, it did zilch to stop the ninny.

This forum is a leaking porta potty. Why do you keep rephrasing Snit?
Malwarebytes is only less expensive if your time has no value. Diesel:
functionally illiterate fraud.

--
My Snoring Solution!
<https://www.usphonebook.com/423-491-1448?Dustin-Cook&Diesel&Gremlin>
Dustin Cook is a functional illiterate fraud

Steve Carroll

Jul 8, 2021, 2:54:53 AM7/8/21
Meat <sandman-7fef9c6d8d93...@individual.net>:
-----
Meat:
>> Don't forget to grab your own copy of Interesting Things. The
>> big reveal is coming soon, and you don't want to be left out.
>> It's like a jumbo lottery ticket where you're sure to be a
>> winner! Or, heh, loser in your case.
>> https://www.solidfiles.com/v/X8gdLX5naxpqP

Doomsdrzej aka Sliver Slimer:
> One of the "interesting things" that was posted is this "glamor
> shot" of the Prescott Parasite. https://imgur.com/a/l2Kisfv

Must be an older image, Snit is 51 now, so... :)
------

1) Diesel / Gremlin in his incompetence included a picture of Chelsea Manning
in his harassment / doxxing file against me and said it might be me.

2) Predictably others jumped in to back such trolling -- including chrisv
who said the image of Manning was of me (he dropped the maybe).

3) Sandman mindlessly jumped to saying said the image of Manning must be
an older on based on my age, as if my age has anything to do with her image!
When Sandman was called out it was easy to predict he would use his own
Usenet bot and deny his error and blame me. He did all three.

It is not like the mindlessness of those of you who troll me cannot be
predicted with great accuracy. :)

--
Top Ten Ways Meat Trolls
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dustin+cook+the+functionally+illiterate+fraud

chrisv

Jul 8, 2021, 8:23:11 AM7/8/21
-hh wrote:

>Its the impression that I've been getting, since you're explicitly willing to allow businesses
>to 'filter', but then demand that consumers be totally unfiltered.

The impression that I'm getting is that you desperately try to find
unreasonableness, or conflicting statements, in an utterly reasonable
and consistent argument.

I don't entirely blame my communication skills. I don't have the time
or inclination to write a book. On the other hand, people need to
want to understand, not find fault.

Terry Jones

Jul 8, 2021, 8:30:54 AM7/8/21
In article <i7rdeg50hivskvo99...@4ax.com>,
chr...@nospam.invalid says...
???????????

WTF?

chrisv

Jul 8, 2021, 9:03:24 AM7/8/21
Terry Jones wrote:

> chr...@nospam.invalid says...
>>
>> I don't entirely blame my communication skills. I don't have the time
>> or inclination to write a book. On the other hand, people need to
>> want to understand, not find fault.
>
>???????????
>
>WTF?

Some people simply lack the mental capacity to understand.

Sorry, but it's true.

All responses to this post will be deleted, unread.

Terry Jones

Jul 8, 2021, 9:31:10 AM7/8/21
In article <aotdegdhradm3m1v0...@4ax.com>,
chr...@nospam.invalid says...
I'm sorry you have a poor communication skills. Maybe a course at
the local community college might assist you in resolving your
problem.
Best wishes.

Snit

Jul 8, 2021, 1:14:42 PM7/8/21
On Jul 8, 2021 at 5:23:07 AM MST, "chrisv" wrote
<i7rdeg50hivskvo99...@4ax.com>:
You claim to actively NOT read things and then attack what you THINK was said.
It is weird.

Steve Carroll

Jul 8, 2021, 3:59:31 PM7/8/21
Amusingly, Ronb virtually asked flatfish+++ for that stuff. It is the same
thing that happens in every group Ronb invades. Ronb would have to be afflicted
with a form of insanity to be unsure of if he "never had" developed a website.
When Ronb can't remember his past claims and makes use of make-believe,
self-image saving hot air later, it's completely clear what his tactic
is.

How is bash on Linux doing anything above the lowest common denominator?
When I first posted, I wanted to be fair and unbiased. I gave Ronb more
than a credible person could be expected to. The herd members value being
like everyone else instead of choice.

--
Live on Kickstarter!
<http://web.archive.org/web/20200909135108/https://www.truepeoplesearch.com/details?name=dustin+james+cook&citystatezip=Kingston%2C+TN&rid=0xl&Diesel=&Gremlin=&Raid=>

Stephen

Jul 8, 2021, 4:16:19 PM7/8/21
A constant, fierce, posting itch, while suffering from an empty mind
- essentially slimy worm tarts, and well-lubricated sheep, scared stiff
by loud music for his own private purposes.

More BS by Just Wondering. -hh did not deny creating it, but he did
not post it to Vine. Just Wondering did that, in an account that uses
his ideas.... and he did it because he is obsessed with Just Wondering
kicking his ass in every possible way. We're all sorry Just Wondering's
a paranoid, narcissistic, delusional liar but that's not gonna change
anything <shrug>.

-
What Every Entrepreneur Must Know
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dustin+cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud